• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09' M1000 tank removal help

H
Nov 1, 2021
Utah
I'm trying to remove the tank on a 09' M1000 due to the cracked fuel neck. No love for warranty on the same tanks as all the other models. I have everything unbolted from what I read. The only screws I don't know how to take off are from what OEM parts call them are the "stud, captive". They are holding the bottom of the console in place in the foot well. The plastic doesn't seem to move enough prying on it to slide it over the screws either. Any advice would be appreciated before I just lock vice grips on them and go to town.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 13

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Which are you asking? Not clear from your pics.
Shouldn’t be any very difficult.

I’ve warrantied an 09 m1000 with cracked filler neck. Class action suit requires lifetime warranty from my dealings. I dropped mine off, dealer installed new and paid absolutely nothing.

H
Nov 1, 2021
Utah
Sorry for confusion. Two dealers I have gone to said the m1000 wasn't under that warranty. I found a good place in town to plastic weld the crack it's large but they said the tank had to be removed. I can't get the lower console unhooked due to the two captive screws I took pictures of. Didn't know if you just have to pry the heck out of the console to get them over the screw or do you remove the captive screws cut them off or ??? Thank you

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
Warranty doesn`t cover the 1000 but does the 800 even though they probably used the same design wtf. Had both my 09 and 10 M-8`s coverered. Must be lawyers didn`t get paid to include the 1000 not enough sold and claims to be included. Bullshit loophole for Arctic Cat and ****ty for them not to cover it.
Anyways, from your pics if I remember those were an issue and think I may have took that bracket loose also and may have included drilling out a rivet not sure. Sorry don`t remember but look into taking that bracket loose. Also from the pics, no way to separate the tank from that piece as it is not the tank. And the tank I think has velcro maybe? Start prying from the rear might get some movement in the tank and not have to mess with the studs.

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Which are you asking? Not clear from your pics.
Shouldn’t be any very difficult.

I’ve warrantied an 09 m1000 with cracked filler neck. Class action suit requires lifetime warranty from my dealings. I dropped mine off, dealer installed new and paid absolutely nothing.
when did you do the tank warranty?

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Warranty doesn`t cover the 1000 but does the 800 even though they probably used the same design wtf. Had both my 09 and 10 M-8`s coverered. Must be lawyers didn`t get paid to include the 1000 not enough sold and claims to be included. Bullshit loophole for Arctic Cat and ****ty for them not to cover it.
Anyways, from your pics if I remember those were an issue and think I may have took that bracket loose also and may have included drilling out a rivet not sure. Sorry don`t remember but look into taking that bracket loose. Also from the pics, no way to separate the tank from that piece as it is not the tank. And the tank I think has velcro maybe? Start prying from the rear might get some movement in the tank and not have to mess with the studs.
same tank exactly, different fuel pump (not physically)

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
I wasn`t saying the 1000 wasn`t covered, was only reacting to other posters saying it wasn`t covered. If you read my post I am confused that they could cover the 800 and not the 1000 by other posters admission of their dealings with dealers.

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
Undoing the plastic and prying down around the captive screws is all that is needed to get it low enough to pop off. Start at he top and move down to get the plastic to bend enough.

Premium Features