• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 dragon Iq 700 WOT 85 Mph?? What gives??

S
Feb 22, 2013
Took the sled out this weekend most of the time in just do trail riding. This weekend my buddy with a 96 Yamaha 600 asked if I wanted to race. I laughed but proceeded to give in. So we started off and def took him off the line. But once we started going. He cought up. My sled topped out at about 85 and sounded like it was bouncing off the rev limited. I think 85 is way to low for that sled. Clutch issue? Belt maybe ? Bottom line I'm embarrassed and need to redeem myself from that 20 Yamaha. Any help would be great. I had the bellows out of the exhaust at the beginning of the season. They looked ok. No tears or rips.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
You should have beat him then. Have you cleaned and serviced your clutches recently? Is your belt worn so it is narrower than it should be? Put on a new belt if yours is out of spec. Then mark the inside sheaves on both of the clutches with a black felt marker pen from the center to the outer edge. Take it for a full throttle top speed run just like when you were racing. Have a look at your marker lines and see how much of the marker has been scrubbed off by the drive belt. That will tell you if you have full shift occurring in your clutches.
If you were hitting the rev limiter you could put some heavier weights in the drive clutch or a lighter primary clutch spring. Another option would be to gear it up.

S
Feb 22, 2013
Just got home and took it for another ride. I talked to the previous owner and he said the clutch had 200 miles on it. And he def hit 110 when he had it. Also my rpms are maxing out at 7500. The compression is good. Thinking maybe now something with the exhaust valve solenoid maybe? The rpms should be much higher. The bellows them selfs don't seem to have any holes or anything. I'm running out of ideas.

Premium Features