• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 RMK 600 set up - wife's sled has hard steering??

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
From swaping back and fourth from my wifes sled, I noticed how hard her steering is especially at slow speeds. I'm riding a 900 with Hotz spindles and skid, floats all around and powder pro's but don't want to go to that extent on her sled.

I seem to rember some chat on making this sled feel lighter in the front end, was it skis or suspention or both? Is there an adjustment on the stock shocks that will help?

She is starting to get aggressive and I just want to make her ride as fun, easy, and cushy as I can so when the snow gets deep we can go all day.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I'm not sure what the problem is but, a riding buddy of mine has the same sled and the first year he rode it (when it was new), it wasn't hard to steer. But last year when he took it out it is really stiff. Does something in the steering get rusty or sticky during storage?

R

rmk_racer

Nov 26, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
She is starting to get aggressive and I just want to make her ride as fun, easy, and cushy as I can so when the snow gets deep we can go all day.[/QUOTE]
................but don't want to go to that extent on her sled.

Nice.......:(

B
Nov 21, 2005
9 Mile Falls, WA
The stock skis suck on the 06's the sidehiller 2's have a pretty deep keel. Set her up with a set off original simmons skis, they have no keel so are easier to turn but will still grip well enough that the sled handles as well or better than stock through the twisty's. It worked well on my mom's sled.

Original simmons have been around for so long you guys ought to be able to pick up a set for cheap.

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
I had a complete 07 Dragon front end on my wifes 600. Not sure if it was the spindles or the skis or both but its very nice front end. Try and find someone who swapped out their dragon to after market and pick up their entire front end. Keep the sway bar in:)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
From swaping back and fourth from my wifes sled, I noticed how hard her steering is especially at slow speeds. I'm riding a 900 with Hotz spindles and skid, floats all around and powder pro's but don't want to go to that extent on her sled.

I seem to rember some chat on making this sled feel lighter in the front end, was it skis or suspention or both? Is there an adjustment on the stock shocks that will help?

She is starting to get aggressive and I just want to make her ride as fun, easy, and cushy as I can so when the snow gets deep we can go all day.

I widened the skis out on my parents sleds ... they steer better at low speeds and are less tippy at low speeds that way, but they don't ride very aggresivley at all and they are noticibly harder to lean in the pow that way ..

The thing is about this though, is that it only takes about 5 minutes to adjust them from 'trail' to 'powder' ....

I dunno, my $0.02

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I believe a stiffer front shock spring on the skid helps. Put one on my buddies 06 600 and it helped. He got it from Carl's. Also you could buy the Holz spindles alone without the A-arms and that will make the best improvement. Buddy did that on his 900 and swears by it.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
I had a complete 07 Dragon front end on my wifes 600. Not sure if it was the spindles or the skis or both but its very nice front end. Try and find someone who swapped out their dragon to after market and pick up their entire front end. Keep the sway bar in:)

This sounds like a good idea and I'm sure there are alot coming off the Dragons soon. Anyone selling take-off dragon front end parts, PM me.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Holz spindles and SLP Powder Pros. As great as Simmons are for many sleds - they don't work well on a sled with a heavy front end. Need something with lot's of rocker in the front to back profile. Then the spindles are "frosting on the cake".

I also have the 220 pound front spring from Carl's but never installed it because the set up works great as is.

R
Sep 9, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I believe a stiffer front shock spring on the skid helps. Put one on my buddies 06 600 and it helped. He got it from Carl's. Also you could buy the Holz spindles alone without the A-arms and that will make the best improvement. Buddy did that on his 900 and swears by it.

DiamondDave hit the nail on the head. Change the front skid shock spring. I have had 5 IQ sleds and that is the first item I changed. Carls does stock them. It is the cheapest item to change. Next would be Holz spindles (skis will make it steer harder) or try to find takeoff 2008 spindles. The last would be to buy better skis.
Good Luck!

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
DiamondDave hit the nail on the head. Change the front skid shock spring. I have had 5 IQ sleds and that is the first item I changed. Carls does stock them. It is the cheapest item to change. Next would be Holz spindles (skis will make it steer harder) or try to find takeoff 2008 spindles. The last would be to buy better skis.
Good Luck!

Thanks RMKRIDER I think I will try that first. I found some dragon a-arm and spindle take off's for $325 but this is EASY and cheap without having to get into alighnment.

She's only around a buck 20 so how stiff should I go? Or should I buy her some zero pros or something for the skid for a little upgrade with some adjustment?

Boomshaw

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2007
San Jose, California
I am not familiar with the skid setup on a 2006 600, but on my 2006 700 the spring change out was cake. It helps to have an extra set of hands though. Less than an hour.

1) Someone sits (or pushes down) on rear lift bar
2) You remove bolts from limiter straps
3) Get track to drop down fully by putting sled in a lift or by lifting the rear lift bar with a chain hoist
4) Unbolt top bolt of front shock and rotate towards back of skid
5) Remove rubber boot, grab spring and pull down while slipping retaining collar out of top of spring
6) Swap old for new spring and reverse everything you just did starting at step 5

The hardest part is pulling down the new spring and slipping the retaining collar back under. That is why a second set of hands comes in handy. The new spring is a bit stiffer and a tad longer since it hasn't been used yet.

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
I think I'd check the alignment first.... It it's off (toe in or toe out) it will steer like a truck. If you don't have the spec, I'd go with equal (parallel).

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
The things I did to make the girls 06 steer easier are:

1. Front track Spring from Carl's

2. 2" bar riser

3. SLP SLT skis, bought them after talking with Chris at Carl's

4. Carl's sway bar kit

After the changes she really likes it, 2 miles down the ditch I stopped to ask her how she was doing and she said the sled felt way better for steering response and effort. Smiles all around and the new swaybar helps her sidehill easier.

Only thing left to add is the Holz spindles which we will add if she still gets tired out after a long day.

Premium Features