• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 800 Vertical Escape

S
Jan 29, 2013
Hi~

I am looking at buying an 03 800 Vertical Escape with 920 miles on it. My problem is...the crank and motor. I am hearing a lot about bad cranks and motors in this particular sled. True? And if so...whats my next best bet for a sled? I am looking at this sled on Monday and I know most of what to look for in the sled. But I truthfully don't know if I want to purchase this sled. Im not a mechanic...and don't need to be fixing major issues.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
If your not comfortable checking the sled out do you know someone with some experience with these models to go over it for you? You can decide the overall condition fairly easily, are the running boards and sides of the tunnel straight? stand at the back and look down the length of them. Does the sled sit level and look "square" to you? Are the radius rods straight? Flip the thing on it's side and look underneath for any obvious damage, bent trailing arms, again just look down the length of them. Is the track missing drive lugs? missing paddles? any wear spots from rubbing on something? Are the stirrups straight or are they wrinkled where the trailing arms bolt up to the chassie. Are the skies parallel to each other? are the handlebars pointing straight ahead when the skies are? Are the skags/carbides in reasonable shape? Are the handlebars bent to the side? Do all the lights work? Can you do a compression test on it? it should be very close from cylinder to cylinder, it's hard to say what the compression should be due to your elevation and the guage your using but about 130 to 140? With only 950 miles the primary clutch should be in reasonable shape, if you can, pull the belt then open the clutch with a big screwdriver or bar, some guys have a clip they can fit over the sheaves to hold the clutch open, but if your carefull with the bar you can take a good look at the rollers and weights, the rollers should be snug on the pins with no visible wear and the weights shouldn't be able to rock from side to side. Have a good look at the belt, any worn spots or cords sticking out of the side? does it have a spare belt? Some of the 800's did have crank problems, some ran forever and didn't, the only way to tell if a crank MIGHT be failing is to check the runout on the pto end, you need to pull the clutch and put a dial indicator on the crank stub, rotate the engine slowly and see how many thou. out of round the crank is. To me anything over 0.002 is starting to get iffy, polaris says up to 0.004 is OK, I disagree. I could go on and on here, the most important thing to check on a BB 800 is the runout on the crank. Almost every sled I've ever bought needed the primary clutch rebuilt and thats not cheap to do but with low miles you should be ok. Some of the best advice I can give you is when you go look at this sled look around the guys place, is his shop a mess? tools scattered around? does his car have a big dent in the fender? is there crap all over the yard? You can tell alot about a piece of equipment someone is selling by the way their yard looks. if it's a mess the equipment will be to, if everything is neat and tidy well he's probably anal about his stuff and the sled won't be any different. I guess the difference between a good deal and a bad deal is what you pay for the thing. Good luck
Edit: I should also say I love the old polaris edge chassie big blocks. IMHO the best bang for your buck out there. The 700's are possibly the better sled, they give up very little HP to the 800 and generally don't have crank issues. Either model with a few mods can easily run with the new sleds and do it for alot less money

Last edited:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Blown out of proportion on issues...
Stock clutching limits these sleds, not enough helix! Get a steeper one, 719 works...
Upgrade to the 1115 belt, you should never blow it above clutching...
Install an AATAC if one hasn't been installed yet, never worry about jetting again...

Friends can help you with this, or nearby members, good luck and enjoy it.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO take a look at the double pto bearing from slp. Not that expensive if it isn't broke. I suppose some of them have failed, but I never saw one. Great sled. Mine was my favorite sled I ever have owned.

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
IMO take a look at the double pto bearing from slp. Not that expensive if it isn't broke. I suppose some of them have failed, but I never saw one. Great sled. Mine was my favorite sled I ever have owned.

Keep in mind you havent rhode the new pro yet ----- get that plane ticket bought

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Look at the inside of the belly, just below the driven clutch, to see whether the speedometer was unhooked in order to give an abnormally low mileage reading. The track should also have 2/3 rds of it's life left in it. If the owner ever hit anything with the skis, the tunnel buckles just below the footwell. If you hit it enough, and pound it back out, eventually the tunnel cracks laterally. Look for more tunnel cracks that are hidden behind the black trim pieces on either side at the luggage rack. Look inside of the spark plug holes to see if the owner burned holes in the pistons, like the previous owner did on the 440 XCR that I bought from a high profile football player, who was extremely skilled at telling big white lies. With that kind of mileage, the sled should be in mint condition. If there are mods on it, the mileage is probably not accurate.

Premium Features