• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

“Emergency” tire chains

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Anyone use these kinda chains? I’m going to give them a shot this year. I haven’t chained up anything in like 20 years, because I really hate it and I’ve always maintained a 4wd that precluded the need. But this year I’m going to be VAN GUY so I’m 2wd unfortunately.

42C01AA9-BCCA-44DA-8869-FF28632BB7E3.jpeg 731F85CB-C7FE-491E-9D66-4D7E05B7474C.jpeg 93A90747-CD5B-4BA7-824B-9D3FC09FEF09.jpeg

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have used something like them.. they are great in a pinch... one will get you out of an icy situation... but they do tend to break so on my 2500 I find they are a one use deal. I should add in my neighborhood they are needed on the 4wd in certain conditions but I am sure with great tires 2wd will get it done...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Looks to me like a standard set of chains would be better for a couple reasons. Those all are multiple attachment types meaning you have to fit 4+ sets to each wheel. I bet I can fit my standard chains faster than you can fit those... You will also get better more consistent traction from real chains. If you need them to work well on roads go for a diamond pattern set, they roll more smoothly than bar chains.

If you want something half assed just get tire socks. They work and would again be less hassle to fit. Good Luck.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Norma, I'm also a van guy. Front wheel drive promaster. Great bike hauler but still 2wd. Fwiw, I have a set of Koenig xg-12 chains for it. Fortunately, I have not had to use them yet so no feedback that way. But, I have installed them a couple times and find them easy to install.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
What? Why!? Your van is front wheel drive right? If not, load your bike in your buddies truck. Buy him whiskey and put up with his bullshit.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
You are scaring me Norma. Why would you take a chance on not actually getting to where you can ride?

M
Jan 14, 2004
Buy a good set of real V-Bar chains. I have to chain up every single day with my trailer on in order to get in and out of our place with a 4x4 . You get fast at it. If I get lazy and don't chain up I'm in the woods every time so I don't even try it anymore. I had an old 2wd pickup with some of those hokey chains once they worked but just barely.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Being sprinter, it’s RWD. Very bad traction. Upgrading tires tomorrow but just unsure about those ice days. I agree on comments however these do have one advantage which is if the van is stuck, they could be installed easier than real chains which require a bit of foresight that we historically haven’t always had.....

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Being sprinter, it’s RWD. Very bad traction. Upgrading tires tomorrow but just unsure about those ice days. I agree on comments however these do have one advantage which is if the van is stuck, they could be installed easier than real chains which require a bit of foresight that we historically haven’t always had.....
You can most likely do the spyder set up for easy install...sprinters have small tires...I love sprinter vans!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Agree, if you actually need chains, get real ones.
For tires I'd run nothing less than siped studded mudders.
Siped for the slippery roads (becasue true mis tires are basically solid tread blocks.
Studded for the ice .
Mud terrain tread for the loose deeper snow traction.
Extra weight in back, 1 bike ain't very heavy.

Premium Features