• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cleaning up the engine compartment

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
My 2016 is the second cat I've owned and the 2010 I had was similar.

What's with the glistening little dust that gets all over the place in these things? It's the pipe insulation right? Can you spray that stuff with that exhaust wrap silicone spray paint to tack it down?

There's also the pipe spray which I guess some turbo springs with fix that?

Are leaky oil pumps a thing? There's oil all over mine. Or is that also the pipe spray just collecting down there? It seemed like my 2010 with the pump gone didn't have a nice coating of crap all over the place down there.

I've owned polaris and skidoo sleds too and neither ever had these problems. Things just stayed way cleaner with both.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
oil in the airbox? i think these pumps seep a bit, or maybe the laydown motor design has a lot of spitback through the TBs? seems like they are kinda hard on reed pedals, just speculating on what ive read round here.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Yeah the air box is a little greasy. My 2010 was worse in that regard honestly.

I hadn't thought about the airbox leaking though. That would make sense given the location. Thanks!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
The glistening dust is definitely pipe insulation. I just had to re insulate my 14 at about 2k miles cuz the insulation was pretty much gone and the heat shield was rattling and annoying the crap out of me. I wasn't gonna pay $50-60 for two little pieces of insulation from cat so I went to home Depot and got some furnace duct insulation and redid it. Shields nice and tight now so no more rattling and hopefully no more fiberglass dust.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The glistening dust is definitely pipe insulation. I just had to re insulate my 14 at about 2k miles cuz the insulation was pretty much gone and the heat shield was rattling and annoying the crap out of me. I wasn't gonna pay $50-60 for two little pieces of insulation from cat so I went to home Depot and got some furnace duct insulation and redid it. Shields nice and tight now so no more rattling and hopefully no more fiberglass dust.

The pink stuff in the silver wrapping?

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
Mine was doing this too, so I took the pipe off and tightened each of the springs to the next notch on the little metal straps that wrap around the pipe. Seems to have helped a bunch with dust and rattle.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Just did a chassis swap on my 2014 and the bottom of the pan on the bottom was kind of oily. Mine has the oil injection delete so it had to come from the air box. It's really surprising how something that runs on the snow can get so dirty.

IMG_20170212_145951.jpg

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
a0b8ab3a8b91e425c288ed2baaff99dc.jpg

That insulation can have some poor run-ability characteristics. Ask my buddy how he knows. Lol
(This is a piece of stock foam that came off the air box)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

reifnote@msn.com

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2007
Rifle CO
Dust from exhaust tuner

In my opinion, the insulation is not fiberglass. It is mineral wool. This can be obtained from Fireplace/Heating stove companies.

Premium Features