• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 rmk over heating

R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
I have a 05 900 rmk 151 in my stable that loves to over heat. It has an slp silencer, an air box from slp, and hrp scratchers. Why does this sled over heat? Is anyone else having/had this problem and if so how do you fix it. The antifreeze has never been changed could this be a potential problem? If so, has anyone ever drained their antifreeze? Is it a hard thing to do, I know there are some bleeders but how many and how do you know if your doing it right? Please help.

Last edited:
S
my 900 did the same thing last year. your sled probably doesnt have enuff antifreeze in it even though it looks full. jack the front end of the sled up about a foot or so and pull out the bleeder screw next to the thermostat on the head. now add more coolant untill it starts coming out of the hole. mine took close to a gallon when i did this even though the resevoir said it was full on level ground. it never overheated again after i did that even on hero snow.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Drained mine by pulling the hose off the front radiator to get rid of it. Dumped ita ll into a bucket, picked up the tail end to get it to drain out.

If you haven't done it already, get rid of that front radiator, and get rid of the loop between where the tee was and the bottle.

What kind of riding are you doing? If its on the trails going slow all day, any liquid-cooled sled will get warm. Hit some pow and rip it up, mine drops right down to 120 (even from 200+ (oops)).

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Ya the 900 needs powder all the time to cool it if you ride on the road for 5 mins it will overheat,get scratchers if you don't have yet they will help.Just this weekend i was riding with a 900 we had to take a hard pack road for a couple mins he was overheating when we got there, once we got back into some powder sled worked fine all day they seem to heat up fast when not proper snow conditions are present,i would pick up a manual you should be able to trouble shoot with that.

R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
We mainly ride trails........only because that is what a guy ends up on all day in order to get to those fun powder spots. We also have a 05 900 159" mountain cat but it never has over heated. However the snow conditions these days in Lincoln, MT suck. It is such hard snow I can understand why it gets hot. I might try bleeding it like you guys said because each time we check the level of coolant its different, some days it looks like we have to add, some days it looks full????? Frustrating, but I was even thinking about adding another pair of scratchers just for snow conditions like this. We will just see...... thanks to all of you for replyin.

Last edited:

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Most 900's are known for running hot. Not much you can do other than keep your scratchers down and pack the running boards with snow. Stop more often and let it cool off.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Has the radiator been removed?
If not, it may need a restrictor put in, to keep the coolant front short circuiting through the radiator and not going to the rear cooler. SLP sells the restrictor.

S
Apr 17, 2008
Invermere
hot 900

My second ride on my sled I found out how bad it was on the trails. I never had any problems with my '01 summit, but the 900 is a different story. Get used to watching the heat temp gauge and pull over lots. I have the front rad removed and it still gets hot if the scratchers are up.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
I would definitely remove the radiator. My sled is getting used for mostly trails this year and i could never get my temp under 160, even with scratchers down. Removed the radiator like MountainHorse said (theres a great link floating around somewhere for it, just do a search) and now i can run hard trails with or without scratchers and still stay in the 130 area. Saves weight, saves temp, saves potential troubles by getting rid of a radiator that could possibly get damaged and ruin a trip. I had a small stick go right through my front mesh and hit the block off plate that SLP provides with the kit, if the radiator would have been there it would have been toast i wouldn't have had a clue until it was to late. For a $20.00 kit and about 30 mins, its a great thing to look into. Also, if you go to drain all of your coolant, just remove the clamp right under the Secondary clutch. Its the easiest place to drain it and get a bucket under, and its also a low area most of it should all just flow out. Hope things get working again for ya.

Nolan

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
RILES..

see your here in great falls man..

i have a 900 as well...can help you with some stuff/inputs if you need them..

send me a PM and we'll get together..

sean

R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
Okay, does anybody know what the prime RPM's is for the 05 900 rmk 151" at WOT?

S
Apr 17, 2008
Invermere
Does anyone know how hot is too hot? On average my temp gauge is usually around 140 give or take a few degrees on the trail depending on the amount of snow and how fast I am going. How hot before the sled starts to melt down? My gauge did read as high as 200 once on hard packed trail before I put on my scratchers, I wasn't even 2km down the trail.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
anything above 170 and i am either shutting it down, or searching frantically for powder..i think it will go in limp mode around 210..? not sure..

but if your running scratchers..throw them down at 165-170 or so..your radiator out? make sure your cooalnt system is bled right, and could have abad thermostat..

my .02

S
Apr 17, 2008
Invermere
My front cooler has been removed. I have no comparision for before and after as the cooler was removed when I got the sled. I would hate to see the sled with the cooler. I am the same way I don't let it get past 170, I find fresh snow as soon as possible to. The day it got to 200 it was only there for a breif second, it shot up pretty fast from 170 to 200. It did get hot enought to melt the track to the drivers, in a matter of seconds.

Premium Features