• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on 163x3x16 CE and 7T avid drivers

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
OK guys.....I have been mulling this over for a few months now and talked to some educated guys here on the forum about running a CE 163x3x16 on 7T avid drivers 3" pitch on my 09 summit WITHOUT a drop and roll. I wanted to get some more opinions from other guys that have actually done this and what your concerns are, if you liked the setup, would you do it again and the problems you encountered with this setup. So, I'll tell you what I have and please give experienced comments.

09 summit x 872 trygstad BB
TS skid and drop brackets w/stock rear wheel setup
stock gears for now
probably get an anti stab kit
s36 kit, not that it matters for this thread
will be installing a post forward kit, not that it matters for this thread

I've learned that there are some rivets that need to be relocated or ground down at the front of the tunnel.
Also be a good idea to machine down the TS drop brackets if I want to run a 16 wide for more track clearance(noticed this on my stock track).

I also like the look (as I have not heard anything about the new design CE) of the new CE.

Advice?

Thanks

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
The only problem I see is its a tight fit to get in and take out. You gotta fold a few lugs a little to get it in, but it goes. No clogging issues. I went down 1 tooth on the top gear and bottom. It's pretty low geared but I haven't had and issues of pulling the motor down,belts nothing.. Still reads 89mph on clicker 1 on the road and 60 on 4. I was told haulin azz on the road is bad with a 3 inch. I don't think you would need to gear down with a bb. I'm more than happy with it. My track has not lost a lug and I'm on my 2 year of abuse with it. I also never put my smitty drop brackets on either.
The plus side is it makes me look like a better rider than I am. Thanks fo David and Paul at Roosterbuilt.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
OK guys.....I have been mulling this over for a few months now and talked to some educated guys here on the forum about running a CE 163x3x16 on 7T avid drivers 3" pitch on my 09 summit WITHOUT a drop and roll. I wanted to get some more opinions from other guys that have actually done this and what your concerns are, if you liked the setup, would you do it again and the problems you encountered with this setup. So, I'll tell you what I have and please give experienced comments.

09 summit x 872 trygstad BB
TS skid and drop brackets w/stock rear wheel setup
stock gears for now
probably get an anti stab kit
s36 kit, not that it matters for this thread
will be installing a post forward kit, not that it matters for this thread

I've learned that there are some rivets that need to be relocated or ground down at the front of the tunnel.
Also be a good idea to machine down the TS drop brackets if I want to run a 16 wide for more track clearance(noticed this on my stock track).

I also like the look (as I have not heard anything about the new design CE) of the new CE.

Advice?

Thanks
Ive run 7 tooths for 4 years with a 2.5 and no problem at all.Did extended case and 8 tooth this year with 3 inch and axle is more exposed.The lower the axle does expose it more for damage.the 7 tooth had no noticeable ill effects as far as approach angle and is easy to pop up the front at will. I,m sure there's a trade off as for any Mod.When stock sleds get the 2.5 then we need to step it up to 3 inch to Rock. I also believe it will allow for more control by slowing in technical areas without the fear of sinking/digging.

I.P.Yellow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I'm running this setup on my sled. I have an '09 with a Trygstad 860 and am very happy with it so far. I only have about 100 miles on track so far and am totally impressed with it. It is a tight fit but it will go in. I ground the bolts off that hold the fuel pump on in addition to grinding the rivets in the tunnel. Can't wait to ride it again and dial it in a little better.

L

lookup

Nov 26, 2007
sheridan wy
If your a heavier guy you will love this set up and you will walk past most 160lbs guys and I didn't grind anything and mine is fine but when you do get stuck WOW ! have a shovel ready :face-icon-small-sho

880SHR
on the bottle
163" 3"

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
If your a heavier guy you will love this set up and you will walk past most 160lbs guys and I didn't grind anything and mine is fine but when you do get stuck WOW ! have a shovel ready :face-icon-small-sho

880SHR
on the bottle
163" 3"

Sorry for the highjack - You have bottle fed BB? Who's bottle and did you have the rev. limiter removed? again, Sorry for the highjack........back to topic.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Anyone removing the front cooler to make more room for this mod? I know that is common on some rmshca xp's. It seems to be fine on trail as long as there is some soft snow.

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
The front cooler is not the tightest point it is above the drivers that are the tight spot.
Wouldn't remove cooler as they need all the cooling they can get.
I have the 174 3 inch with 7 tooth drivers and no problems what so ever other than you have to watch the cooling.
Keep speed down on the trails and run scratchers. JMO

Anyone removing the front cooler to make more room for this mod? I know that is common on some rmshca xp's. It seems to be fine on trail as long as there is some soft snow.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Thanks for the opinions guys. I am ordering this setup this week along with some airframe running boards. I always run scratchers and will probably install a second set. Also going to remove my TS drop brackets and machine them down a little for more side to side clearance. I love the 872 and this track will be night and day over the stock 09 track....its going to be a great season !!!

What would you guys suggest for gearing? I understand the avid 7T are not much smaller than the stock ones, so gearing may not be an issue.

L

lookup

Nov 26, 2007
sheridan wy
I will stick my neck out on this one no dull axes please I started with 19 49 then 20 49 then 21 49 that I was told to use to begin with, all with 7 tooth avid drivers

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
For gearing the 7 tooth drivers are 8% lower in ratio and would try to stay as big on the top gear as possible due to added stress on chain with the 3 inch.
21/51 or 20/51 JMO :face-icon-small-win

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Do your Airframes when you have the track/skid out of the sled. I used an air hammer to flatten any rivets that stuck out to far into the tunnel and used as short a rivet as would work to start with. Was worried if I ground them that they might fail. Have someone hold a sledgehammer, just hold it tight, against the rivet on the outside of the sled so it doesn't ding the tunnel.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
163 x 3" good!

I ride with a guy who's Son put a 163 x 3" on his 2011 P-tek. He had Mountain Magic or someone in Edmonton, Ab do the gearing and the clutching. Stock engine and he's a tall skinny kid, probably 175lbs. He makes that sled look like it has 200hp. It just keeps going and going, whether its boondocking or climbing. Oh... thats with 7 tooth drivers as well!

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Great tips guys. I will have my sled stripped to the bare bones for this project and install the airframes first. Grind all rivets and modifythe TS drop brackets. Replace the fuel pump bolts with studs and leave the front cooler the way it is. Heard of guys spraying the tunnel with teflon or some other material to help with snow removal. Will do the post forward later and leave the belt drive till I figure out the gearing and get the clutching dialed.

Thanks again...keep em coming !!!

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Curious what your plans are with the timbersled drop brackets? I am leaning towards airframes and have timbersled drop brackets too. I'll either get those or build some.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I am going to take them off of my sled and machine them down a bit to provide more side to side clearance for the track. As it sits right now, there is only 1/8-3/16" from the stock track to bracket. Even if I machined them down to stock thickness it would still be better than the stock brackets. I never checked on this but I ASSUME the air frames will mount to the TS brackets and provide good support without loking to goofy.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Got my CE 9116 and drivers today....WOW....it sure looks like a monster track compared to the stock 09 track....thanks Robbie/Dave !!!! Just need the air frames now and away we go !!!!

Premium Features