• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Etec RKT 860 longevity/ performance

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Road with a 2013 XM this weekend running an 860 kit at 6000 to 7000ft. Impressive results. I liked what i saw. Very powerful good running sled. Didn't hang with the turbo Pro with us obviously, but nevertheless, the XM was pulling off some nice stuff!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I get a kick out of the fact that you and several others on this site can say whatever you want? then says things about me that are totally wrong and literally coming out of somebody's arse? then you in "pinhead fashion" make comments about me to what? give yourself a pat on the back? I guess I should have know this is Kelsey's and his buddy's only thread and anybody else is ridiculed if they're from a different camp are not aloud to give they're piece without getting hammered?

Had I started this thread, with a title like " which is the best big bore" or "how does the 860 compare to the 872"... I wouldn't have an issue in the world with you.

BUT I DIDN'T.

I've seen plenty of those threads, and SPECIFICALLY asked to avoid it, SPECIFICALLY asked for a particular type of info... but you felt the need to start this, so I'll treat you like a little unwanted barking dog... as in THIS thread, that's all you are. In any other thread, I'll gladly value your opinion, and I'd hear you out... but in this particular situation, you simply had zero respect for what I was asking, so I'll continue to treat you poorly.

I have friends who are friends with Kelsey, as I'd guess with how many friends I have in UT, I've likely got a few buddies who are friends with Dave as well, that's outside the point.

I tried to avoid what you're offering, but you insist on keeping yapping OVER & OVER about the same thing.

This is like someone asking about the reliability of the skidoo chaincase, and someone else telling them OVER & OVER that they should get a sled with a diamond drive. Chaincases suck, you need an arctic cat, you should get an M8... it's not what was asked, it was specifically asked NOT to be brought in... but you just simply don't get it.

I've seen a number of threads about the 872... I see where they're at and how they do. I didn't need more info on them, and didn't ask for it. But just like when someone doesn't need to hear a dog yapping nonstop... the dog doesn't stop... it keeps yapping. Nobody asked it to keep yapping... it just does.

SO, therefore, I'm comparing you to a yapping dog that CONTINUES TO NOT GET THE F***ING HINT, so each time I'm attempting to make it more obvious for you, but that appears to not be working either. For someone who is 51 years old, I'd think that you'd be able to get the idea by now.

Looks like about 1/2 of your posts are about this ONE product... I get that you like it, I FIGURED THAT OUT reading about 10 other threads.

PLEASE

GO

AWAY.

I'd love to hear your take on the other couple things I'm asking about, I'm doing the best I can to build a sled that will work well for me, and the more input I get, the better, but in this particular thread, that's not what I asked for.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Just to clear up some incorrect information in this post..

Big John is a good friend of mine, we talke every week and we ride every year together.

John has done a TOTAL 1 860 ETEC and it was for a customer of his in ND.. He chose to use the SPI piggy back system because he was told that the stock mapping would not work on the 860 ETEC.
When he came out here and rode the RK Tek 860 ETEC was was impressed (also it was funny to see him ride a sled that was set up for a much shorter rider). He saw for himself that the RK Tek ETEC 860 did not require ANY fuel controller (per design) and was able to be held WOT under full load for over 1 minute without any issues..
He also found it to make very good power. So, after this visit with us, SHR is re-thinking the idea of using a piggyback fuel control system on any future ETEC Big Bore builds. SHR builds good stuff, just trying to clear up the previous post with information that they are doing more of these ETEC big bores than RK Tek.

As I mentioned earlier, the ETEC engine is the SAME as the PTEK engine in terms of what is needed to make a successful over-bore (piston, porting, and head). Trying to make this ETEC into some "special" big bore is simply un-necessary.. It is the same as its carbed brother...

Anyway... just trying to clear up a few misconceptions for those who may be reading..

Fish- On....

Sorry BCIL....I can't play catch and release this time. The fish swallowed the hook.

kelsey, I must have been mistaken. I must have been dreaming that I read your posts for 2 plus years at naseum that the Etec couldn't be bb'd....Then reading your post this year that you have come to Jesus and have bb'd the Etec.

Re read my post. It doesn't say BJ has done MORE Etec BB's than you. It says he was doing them BEFORE you. You know, LONGER than you. This is a fact and not a misconception.

You say you have other Etec BB's out there....how many and what years? Is it only the '13's that can be BB'd? Why don't you clear up this confusion?

The number seems pretty low per this thread. Good luck BCIL...

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Had I started this thread, with a title like " which is the best big bore" or "how does the 860 compare to the 872"... I wouldn't have an issue in the world with you.

BUT I DIDN'T.

I've seen plenty of those threads, and SPECIFICALLY asked to avoid it, SPECIFICALLY asked for a particular type of info... but you felt the need to start this, so I'll treat you like a little unwanted barking dog... as in THIS thread, that's all you are. In any other thread, I'll gladly value your opinion, and I'd hear you out... but in this particular situation, you simply had zero respect for what I was asking, so I'll continue to treat you poorly.

I have friends who are friends with Kelsey, as I'd guess with how many friends I have in UT, I've likely got a few buddies who are friends with Dave as well, that's outside the point.

I tried to avoid what you're offering, but you insist on keeping yapping OVER & OVER about the same thing.

This is like someone asking about the reliability of the skidoo chaincase, and someone else telling them OVER & OVER that they should get a sled with a diamond drive. Chaincases suck, you need an arctic cat, you should get an M8... it's not what was asked, it was specifically asked NOT to be brought in... but you just simply don't get it.

I've seen a number of threads about the 872... I see where they're at and how they do. I didn't need more info on them, and didn't ask for it. But just like when someone doesn't need to hear a dog yapping nonstop... the dog doesn't stop... it keeps yapping. Nobody asked it to keep yapping... it just does.

SO, therefore, I'm comparing you to a yapping dog that CONTINUES TO NOT GET THE F***ING HINT, so each time I'm attempting to make it more obvious for you, but that appears to not be working either. For someone who is 51 years old, I'd think that you'd be able to get the idea by now.

Looks like about 1/2 of your posts are about this ONE product... I get that you like it, I FIGURED THAT OUT reading about 10 other threads.

PLEASE

GO

AWAY.

I'd love to hear your take on the other couple things I'm asking about, I'm doing the best I can to build a sled that will work well for me, and the more input I get, the better, but in this particular thread, that's not what I asked for.

have you heard about the DTRE 872?...everyone else suks :)
so if I have been building motors for only 15 years does mean I'm stooopid?
whats wrong with my chaincase?...do I need a DD? and why?
does my hair look OK?
what oil is best for my BB?
who has the best Ypipe? and why?
Dominoes or Pizzahut?

sorry....cant resist...just having fun...carry on....BJ:face-icon-small-coo

BTW- machster @ Co....post #1 clearly states BCIL ?s and concearns...just saying.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
well... I had pizza hut down in Durango a few weeks ago & it was horrid, so gonna have to vote dominos.

Diamonddave...

You're questioning the kit I'm talking about, and though you may disagree with Kelsey or whatever... it's got this one thing going for it... YOU'RE ON TOPIC.:cheer2:

That said, how long someone has been running this setup is of less concern to me than how well. I'd of course be more concerned if it was a completely new kit, but the main difference I see is head work instead of head, and the fuelling, which seems pretty simple.

Premium Features