• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My 08 800 dragon build

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Well the above idea is a no go... Dealer figured that would be lying to polaris. I hadn't thought of it in that way but can see his point. I do still think polaris owes me as much for the issues this sled has caused me. Waiting for him to pull it apart so he can see the cracking going on, and also the engine, then go from there. I'm to the point of considering letting polaris fix it their way, selling it and buying an M8 or nytro. Will depend what polaris will say when they see the issues.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
If you did decide to sell it i would take some of the goodies off your hands! :face-icon-small-ton

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
good luck with the warranty! Im sorry but i doubt polaris will help you with the chassis. The boards probubly f'd you. That REALY sucks man.

If you decide to part it out, let me know!

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
For the right price i would take the boards, rear bumper, ce track, the stock stirrup vents that have the slp vents in them if you still have those....um possibly the side panels. All just depends on the price

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
i have cash for the hood, and the balck sturrup vents, and the guage mount.

100 percent serius about it. Pm me

Also, my friend might be interested in the engine.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
why not just fix the cracks?

I'm not sure if it's something a person really can fix so it will be strong, seeing how and where it's cracked. I'm waiting for my dealer to take it apart and see for him self, then see what he thinks a guy should do. He said though he hopes it's not fixable. Cause this must be a faulty bulkhead he thinks. There's no other way it would crack twice the way that it has, without seeing any crashes, or any kind of abuse. Only normal boondocking/tree riding type stuff. And flat land carving and what not at home. I don't go big with jumping, or dropping anything, so it has no excuse for cracking like this. But if it is fixable, that's we'll do I'm sure. But I won't know till he see's it. And maybe talks to polaris about it.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Dealer called me today.... Polaris said they are sending an inspector. If they do I'm royally screwed I expect. So I guess now we wait for him to show up, and see what comes of it.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Stopped in there yesterday after work to see what the motor looks like, pistons haven't changed since I first saw them. Making it very hard to believe that my intake caused it to burn down within those first 5 miles, if it had caused it, why wouldn't it get worse in the next 15 miles? Doesn't add up somehow. If it burnt down in the first five miles, it wouldn't even have given me enough time to tune before it burnt down. And if it's that stupid lean why wasn't it acting up? Ran fine just like it always has. My over all conclusion is it can't have come from the intake, doesn't seem possible. But on the other hand my Y pipe is very white from the inside? I'm no engine expert but I'm told that's cause it's running lean? So I don't know what to think.

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
I totally agree with you that it could not have been the intake. Are your pistons scuffed on both the intake and the egaust side? If they are on both i would be leaning towards that it was starting to cold sieze on you? I am sure you always let your sled warm up but it could have been a vapor lock in the cooling system. Did you have your coolant drainded anytime during this build? I had a motor lock up on me after a 55 mile ride once, cold siezed cause i never had all the air out of the coolant system. I not sure if thats what caused yours to score but thought i would just throw the idea out there, whatever the problem is i hope polaris looks after it. good luck

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I totally agree with you that it could not have been the intake. Are your pistons scuffed on both the intake and the egaust side? If they are on both i would be leaning towards that it was starting to cold sieze on you? I am sure you always let your sled warm up but it could have been a vapor lock in the cooling system. Did you have your coolant drainded anytime during this build? I had a motor lock up on me after a 55 mile ride once, cold siezed cause i never had all the air out of the coolant system. I not sure if thats what caused yours to score but thought i would just throw the idea out there, whatever the problem is i hope polaris looks after it. good luck

Perfect then I'm not the only one. Thanks.

No the scoring is on the exhaust side only, the intake side looks fine, the coating is not all there, but that's normal for these polaris pistons it seems. No scuffing or scratch marks at all that I saw on my inspection. It's a possibility, but I doubt it.... I always let the sled warm up to at least the 118-120 range before touching the throttle. I have in some cases fired it up in the garage, drove it out and let it warm up outside, but most times I'll pull it out, fire it up and not touch the throttle till it's in the 118-120 range. This first ride that I took before I noticed the scoring it was a solid 120-121 before I got going. And nope I never touched the motor this summer. Last guy to deal with coolant was the dealer last time it got rebuilt. So I doubt it. The is now also the idea out there that riding the sled, parking for a while, and then driving again can also cause a cold sieze from the super cooled anti freeze coming from the cooler, due to having been parked for a while. But that can't be the case as I never shut the sled off till I got back into the garage. I just don't think it could have happened this winter. Any way I look at it, it doesn't add up.

But yes thank you. I hope too that they will do something for me, I have however given them an "excuse" not to; with the intake. But the inspector will not be coming around after all. To busy I guess. My dealer just has to take pictures and send them to polaris star. So We'll see what gives.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
thats a bummer but feel lucky to have a supportive dealer behind you, thats a rare thing it seems like these days. i drive 3 hours for my dealer just for the service i get.

i'm looking for some lights. any pics of how bright those trailtech hids are? how many feet of visibility in front of sled. trying to decide between those, PIAA bullets or their cross country hids.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
thats a bummer but feel lucky to have a supportive dealer behind you, thats a rare thing it seems like these days. i drive 3 hours for my dealer just for the service i get.

i'm looking for some lights. any pics of how bright those trailtech hids are? how many feet of visibility in front of sled. trying to decide between those, PIAA bullets or their cross country hids.

Yes I know I'm really glad to have a good dealer. I don't get why other dealers wouldn't try harder? It can only make business better. Service brings people back.

Here's a pic showing them from the front in the middle of the day. They are blinding. I really have no idea how many feet of visibility they create, but here is a pic of my stock head light with HID bulbs. These lights make my old HID's look dim. Very bright lights.
Sledbuildsummer2010005.jpg

Misccellphonepictures030.jpg

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
thats awesome. thanks. Can you buy this as a kit ready to wire up or did you have to buy the ballast etc separately?

edit: did a little search got wiring issues figured out. just need to know where you bought your lights from?

Last edited:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Yep the ballast's are built in. Nothing more to the lights than you see here. One power wire, one ground. Very simple. I got mine from Trail Tech directly I believe.http://trailtech.net/
You also asked about the difference between the flood and the spot right? When parked facing a garage door, the spot will have a more concentrated beam, with a round spot of light on the door, the flood will just spread out, it has no direct beam, it's just bright ALL OVER. lol The spot gets you your long distance light, and the flood takes care of the rest.

When you say you drive three hours for your dealer, where do you deal? Obviously not in GP. Slave Lake? Once I manage to dump this buggy for a nytro we'll have to hook up for a ride some time. Followed you and your Apex build way back in the day on SF already. Would love to see the thing run in person. Always liked what you did to it.

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
my dealer in located in Kindersly, sask. i'm just in fairview for school. orginally from very southwest corner sask. my family dealers with strutt yamaha, the owner Roger is one helluva nice guy and is an absolute genius on the ins and outs of yamaha sleds.

thanks. your build is lookin really nice too. just a shame on the motor issues. apex is nice for now but i'm tryin to get the ball rollin on a turbo.

p.s. i'm movin to fernie in a couple weeks so gimme a shout if your ever in the area. always happy to find someone to ride with.

spenser

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Ah RIGHT! That's why I was surprised to see you were in Fairview. I couldn't think of why but it just didn't seem right that your location was fairview AB. Now I know why. lol What are you taking there, for classes?

Thanks, yeah it's a bummer alright... But I guess I canchalk it up as an experience. Learned alot while building it. Even if I won't get to enjoy it, I still learned lots building it. Perfect, you have been talking turbo for quite a while now, finally coming together?

Perfect. Never been to fernie, but would love to try a new area.

GOOD NEWS! Went to the dealer today and was informed that my engine will be covered! WOOT WOOT. The top end is approved, he wants to tear into the bottom end as well to check that out while it's apart. Will start working on getting something done with the bulk head soon as well. I hope polaris decides to weld! If Not I might get the mecanic where I work to weld er up for me.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
crack pics

Dealer was kind enough to email me some pics of the cracking. It's even worse than I thought it was.:rain: Tell me what you think. He's making a few phone calls tomorrow to see what polaris star says.
KevinBulkhead001.jpg

KevinBulkhead002.jpg

KevinBulkhead003.jpg

Premium Features