• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many motor issues last year with Nytro's and boost?

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
I had heard of people sending pistons through the side of cylinders on boosted applications. Lets hear some facts. Are these engines as reliable as the Apex engine? Trying to decide on building a 300+hp Nytro or wait until next year and build the updated platform Apex.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
0 Motor issues,
Have not heard of any either. If you run low octane, the apex motor will fail too with high much boost. Stock Rods are good for around 17-18 psi on both engines.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I know of a few head gaskets that went down but I think it is correctable with ARP studs and a little more torque on the head studs for higher boost apps.

M5

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
I have not heard of any major motor issues with the Nitro yet. As far a raising the bar with how much boost you can run. IMPULSE was running 30 pounds boost testing one of his kits. The A/f was a little lean at times up to 13.4 but no rods or motor problems out the side of the block. Brad storeys propane Nitro with stock rods runs 24 pounds as well and on average runs 18 to 20 all the time.Im sure there was some motor failure, they can *** up. But a small % for the amount out there.

T

tothebar

i ran 20 pounds all year on my apex with the alpine kit. no pistons or rods, just a head shim. long as u keep good fuel in them they seem to live.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
you have a little dirt on a new apex chassis?? spill it!!

I've heard of a couple of nytro's that had motor problems. granted they werent' yammi related problems.lol dude on here ran 18 pds boost with regular or premium fuel(not sure which) and he said they sure ripped. sad thing is it was a demo sled that he did it to, and when he took the 2nd demo sled out and did the same stupid thing and cratered it the same way. ran 18 pds boost on premium fuel. some guys dont' learn I guess. dealer ate both motor jobs.

Premium Features