• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk Motec stand alone ECUs

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
There's so much bull9hit floating around on here this summer, I feel sorry for the guys starting out trying to build a sled. Its pretty easy to get in over your head if you fall into the wrong hands.

If your riding the mountains, pick someone like Alpine, Impulse, Boost-It or MCX(Vernon Motorsports/MCX USA, etc). They have all been tried, tested and pushed to the limits. There are only a handfull of guys that I would consider letting work/tune my sled. (Neil/TJ w/Boost-It, Paul w/Impulse, Chad w/CR, Nick w/Vernon Motorsports, Chuck w/Lakeside, and Daryl w/Racers Edge.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
There's so much bull9hit floating around on here this summer, I feel sorry for the guys starting out trying to build a sled. Its pretty easy to get in over your head if you fall into the wrong hands.

If your riding the mountains, pick someone like Alpine, Impulse, Boost-It or MCX(Vernon Motorsports/MCX USA, etc). They have all been tried, tested and pushed to the limits. There are only a handfull of guys that I would consider letting work/tune my sled. (Neil/TJ w/Boost-It, Paul w/Impulse, Chad w/CR, Nick w/Vernon Motorsports, Chuck w/Lakeside, and Daryl w/Racers Edge.
I'm not really getting it either. These guys pop up promising the world, then when you disagree with them at all, they start talking down to everyone and just tell people they don't know anything.
Interesting marketing strategy.

What if someone actually bought their stuff and had trouble tuning it? Will they get help, or just be called stupid?:face-icon-small-dis

M

MCX KILLER

Banned
Aug 21, 2011
I'm not really getting it either. These guys pop up promising the world, then when you disagree with them at all, they start talking down to everyone and just tell people they don't know anything.
Interesting marketing strategy.

What if someone actually bought their stuff and had trouble tuning it? Will they get help, or just be called stupid?:face-icon-small-dis

Last edited:
N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
bought their stuff??i do not sell ,talking down? im just telling the guys that piggy back systems and boost it can not be compared to these systems.Why drive a hyundai when you can drive a mercedes?????
I guess not everyone has as much cash as you...some people have to drive a Hyundai as they have no other choice.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
OMG just to stupid to replay,you really do not know ,or have a clew what you are thalking about.:lips:
This kinda looked like talking down and name calling, and it was totally uncalled for. Zeb at least comes on this forum and helps people, and also has a ton of Turbo knowledge.
Not really sure what you are bringing to the forums.

I think Snowest should have a vote off system. If a user hits a certain amount of red rep, then bye bye!!

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
are you saying ,if you are poor you must run these other systems
I'm saying it would be smart to maximize value. At least Impulse and Boost-It have plenty of sleds running on the snow.
Getting kinda tired of people bragging about their stuff when nobody's ever seen it run. If you think these new standalone systems will easy to tune in the mountains, then think again.
Theory and application are two different worlds.

M

MCX KILLER

Banned
Aug 21, 2011
I'm saying it would be smart to maximize value. At least Impulse and Boost-It have plenty of sleds running on the snow.
Getting kinda tired of people bragging about their stuff when nobody's ever seen it run. If you think these new standalone systems will easy to tune in the mountains, then think again.
Theory and application are two different worlds.

Last edited:
Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
OMG just to stupid to replay,you really do not know ,or have a clew what you are thalking about.:lips:

No, you won't reply because you don't have an answer to my question. You listed 3 different standalone systems that were superior to the impulse. Pay attention, ill ask you again what software or hardware components of these other 3 standalone systems your referring to are better then the impulse?

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Summer must be getting long. If any newbies are reading this I'm pretty sure that Zeb and NM have two of the fastest, best setup mountain sleds on either sides of the border. Real world riding from 6k-10k feet elevation and in 4' of powder and the sled runs great everyday. Dyno tuning doesn't exactly work in mountains, with the changing conditions, temps, and elevation.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Zeb,

Don't worry, if this guy says that his stuff is better, invite him down to tony's for a little drag race up race bowl or christmas tree. Then we will see who's sh*t stinks and whos doesn't.

MCX Killer, I have been around Stand Alone for a couple years, and There is no doubt that the Motec is top of the line for components, capabilities, ect.

BUT, I will tell you that if individuals that purchase motecs ecu, don't have a dyno to create a base line map to work off or don't have a map already created, or just can't figure out how the timing and fuel work together will have a very difficult time getting it tuned to be effiecient.

Pauls ECU works the exact same way the Motec does. It may not have ALL the same features, such as lambda, drive by wire, ect, but It does log Data, it can build maps from AFR readings, reads barametric pressure, ect. It works!!! And a guy like me who doesn't want to spend the time to tune for month just to dial it in, can purchase an impulse turbo system, and get the same value of return on my investment, AND NOT HAVE TO TUNE ANYTHING. It comes pre tuned, and it has ALL the same capabilities to make corrections from AFR Barametric pressure, anti lag, ectjust like the motec.

Trust me when I tell you, I actually have a motec that I am wiring for a 2 stroke turbo right now, and I have read through everything, and the only real advantage it provides for my apex turbo, is if I want to run 4 1000 CC injectors...all the other mumbo jumbo is useless in the mountains. Even Motecs Anti Lag SUCKS in the mountains, yea its a cool feature, but it is only made for drag racing, NOT tree riding. It has the processor capabilities to run them so your sled will idle, and run at 40 PSI with only one set of injectors.

I think Impulses can run 1000 CC injectors as well, but not sure.

Zeb, your Nypex last year was one of the fastest, and the best runnin apex I have EVER been around, AND I CHALLENGE ANY ONE THAT IS GOING TO RUN THEIR MOUTH AND SAY IMPULSES STUFF IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH, THEN YOU COME ON DOWN AND ZEB WILL SHOW YOU WHAT IMPULSE IS ALL ABOUT.

I actually run a Rapid bike controller, It is better IMO than just an injection piggy back. It works for me, and that is all I care about. It doesn't even compete with the motec or the Impulse stand alone, not even in the same ball park.

Last edited:
R
Aug 30, 2008
Summer must be getting long. If any newbies are reading this I'm pretty sure that Zeb and NM have two of the fastest, best setup mountain sleds on either sides of the border. Real world riding from 6k-10k feet elevation and in 4' of powder and the sled runs great everyday. Dyno tuning doesn't exactly work in mountains, with the changing conditions, temps, and elevation.

No, but dyno tuning does give you a starting point to work from

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
True, I just meant you can't pull it off the dyno and head for the hills and expect it to run at perfection.

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
I'm just glad that NM, Impulse and others are taking this to the next level. I couldn't figure out why my old carbed Rx-1 would pull harder than my apex at the same boost with basically the same turbo setup. It all has to do with fueling. The piggy back boxes don't work as well, but they do work. These sleds use a ton of fuel at wot. My hats off to those of you making my riding experience better every year...and my wallet lighter.

M

MCX KILLER

Banned
Aug 21, 2011

Last edited:
M

MCX KILLER

Banned
Aug 21, 2011
Zeb,

Don't worry, if this guy says that his stuff is better, invite him down to tony's for a little drag race up race bowl or christmas tree. Then we will see who's sh*t stinks and whos doesn't.

MCX Killer, I have been around Stand Alone for a couple years, and There is no doubt that the Motec is top of the line for components, capabilities, ect.

BUT, I will tell you that if individuals that purchase motecs ecu, don't have a dyno to create a base line map to work off or don't have a map already created, or just can't figure out how the timing and fuel work together will have a very difficult time getting it tuned to be effiecient.

Pauls ECU works the exact same way the Motec does. It may not have ALL the same features, such as lambda, drive by wire, ect, but It does log Data, it can build maps from AFR readings, reads barametric pressure, ect. It works!!! And a guy like me who doesn't want to spend the time to tune for month just to dial it in, can purchase an impulse turbo system, and get the same value of return on my investment, AND NOT HAVE TO TUNE ANYTHING. It comes pre tuned, and it has ALL the same capabilities to make corrections from AFR Barametric pressure, anti lag, ectjust like the motec.

Trust me when I tell you, I actually have a motec that I am wiring for a 2 stroke turbo right now, and I have read through everything, and the only real advantage it provides for my apex turbo, is if I want to run 4 1000 CC injectors...all the other mumbo jumbo is useless in the mountains. Even Motecs Anti Lag SUCKS in the mountains, yea its a cool feature, but it is only made for drag racing, NOT tree riding. It has the processor capabilities to run them so your sled will idle, and run at 40 PSI with only one set of injectors.

I think Impulses can run 1000 CC injectors as well, but not sure.

Last edited:
Premium Features