• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRIMARY BALACING

B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
Anybody get their primary balanced? I saw a thread for clutch balancing said something like all doo clutches are out of balance...15 grams 180grams blah blah blah...

Anyone have first hand experience..before and after?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
mine is being balanced. will post up the gram'ige when i find out. i think its a cheap thing to do and should aid in belt life, clutch parts life and crank life possably as well.

do a search doo talk, Lots a info there

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
Primary balancing

I have not gotten mine back yet either, but I sent mine to perks spin balance. He also has an external crank balancing kit that I ordered too. People on sno west said they reccomended him and that its a very good thing to do to make crank bearings last longer, gain some power, and also make the vibration leave your hands. The guy at Perks swears that on his 2010 backcountry 800, which is the same sled as mine with the crank kit and the clutch balancing he gain up to 13 mph. So I guess we'll see about all of that. I sure hope all of its true! I should be getting it all back on the sled this weekend if it comes in the mail tomorrow!:face-icon-small-ton

liebherrcraneguy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2010
I have not gotten mine back yet either, but I sent mine to perks spin balance. He also has an external crank balancing kit that I ordered too. People on sno west said they reccomended him and that its a very good thing to do to make crank bearings last longer, gain some power, and also make the vibration leave your hands. The guy at Perks swears that on his 2010 backcountry 800, which is the same sled as mine with the crank kit and the clutch balancing he gain up to 13 mph. So I guess we'll see about all of that. I sure hope all of its true! I should be getting it all back on the sled this weekend if it comes in the mail tomorrow!:face-icon-small-ton

Definitely post your findings on this. I am not an engine builder or anything and what he said made some sense to me, but I immediately had a red flag pop up when I heard the mph gains. He told me 20 mph on the phone. I'm not saying it isn't true, I just find it hard to believe. Also referring to other SWers saying that the engine kit thingy is a good idea, There were a lot of mixed feelings about that in the threads. I think the clutch balancing was mostly agreed upon to be a good idea, but the bolt-on engine balance kit had a lot of discussion concerning it. The original poster in this thread should doo a forum search and decide after reading a little more. I didn't intend to bash anyone with this post, but I am very skeptical of "too good to be true" gains.

B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
Definitely post your findings on this. I am not an engine builder or anything and what he said made some sense to me, but I immediately had a red flag pop up when I heard the mph gains. He told me 20 mph on the phone. I'm not saying it isn't true, I just find it hard to believe. Also referring to other SWers saying that the engine kit thingy is a good idea, There were a lot of mixed feelings about that in the threads. I think the clutch balancing was mostly agreed upon to be a good idea, but the bolt-on engine balance kit had a lot of discussion concerning it. The original poster in this thread should doo a forum search and decide after reading a little more. I didn't intend to bash anyone with this post, but I am very skeptical of "too good to be true" gains.

I definitely did do a search. Found a thread by "indydan" describing in detail
the who, what, why and how of clutch balancing. I was unable to actually determine by the various post's if anybody had a before/after report?? I was merely looking for someone who had balanced their clutch and could report on the benefits or lack of...

liebherrcraneguy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2010
I definitely did do a search. Found a thread by "indydan" describing in detail
the who, what, why and how of clutch balancing. I was unable to actually determine by the various post's if anybody had a before/after report?? I was merely looking for someone who had balanced their clutch and could report on the benefits or lack of...

Cool. I'm looking for the same info as well. I got side tracked talking about the engine balance kit and forgot that you had just asked about clutch balancing.:doh: Hopefully we'll get some reviews when the snow flies! :smow:

Last edited:

7perk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Primary Balancing

:face-icon-small-ton I have a 2010 Ski-Doo 800cc and after the balance work on the clutch and most important on the engine balance and different designs in the mag. rotor and sled break in. It went from 84 MPH to 103 MPH (June 30th 2011 in poor snow conditions at 9500 ft.). It has no clutching work done, it has electric start (10 to 15 lbs.), it has the big exhaust tank, basically only the balance work. My son who weighs 170 lbs. has raced several 2011 etecs, 2011 Polaris Pros., M1000 & M800 Arctic Cats and several other sleds and even a couple of Ski-Doos with turbos and has beaten everyone on the flats at 9500ft.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
:face-icon-small-ton I have a 2010 Ski-Doo 800cc and after the balance work on the clutch and most important on the engine balance and different designs in the mag. rotor and sled break in. It went from 84 MPH to 103 MPH (June 30th 2011 in poor snow conditions at 9500 ft.). It has no clutching work done, it has electric start (10 to 15 lbs.), it has the big exhaust tank, basically only the balance work. My son who weighs 170 lbs. has raced several 2011 etecs, 2011 Polaris Pros., M1000 & M800 Arctic Cats and several other sleds and even a couple of Ski-Doos with turbos and has beaten everyone on the flats at 9500ft.

How do keep the oil flowing in the engine while you do your engine balancing? Just wondering while watching your video.

Last edited:

7perk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Primary Balancing

:face-icon-small-ton I'm just running it at 1400 rpm under a 1 1/2 horse motor for about 20 seconds to about 1 minute to get readings so I just put some dropps of oil down in the cylinder walls.
When I run it in the sled it's about 2550 rpm and it's being ran under the power of the sled.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
mine is being balanced. will post up the gram'ige when i find out. i think its a cheap thing to do and should aid in belt life, clutch parts life and crank life possably as well.

primary front was off 16grams back side was 2 grams. sled is ready to ride,,,,,,,,, cant wait to grab some throttle:face-icon-small-hap

S
Feb 10, 2009
Gooding Id
sent 5 clutches to perks last year all sleds had less viberation when we got them back. all of us made the season with out belt problems. we sent 2 07 rev. 1 08 xp, 1 09 xp, and one 600 e teck. I would recomend perks he seems to be a pretty honest guy to deal with. also run his bushings in the polaris clutches. and the roller arm bushings in the skidoo clutch. I will be talking to him to balance my whole motor when I get the 880 set up all put together.

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
Primary

I just installed my balanced clutch, and the crank balancing kit. I haven't been able to check the top speed because there's no snow, but just like he said at Perk's, after 2,000rpm there is no vibration. Night and day difference.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
:face-icon-small-ton I'm just running it at 1400 rpm under a 1 1/2 horse motor for about 20 seconds to about 1 minute to get readings so I just put some dropps of oil down in the cylinder walls.
When I run it in the sled it's about 2550 rpm and it's being ran under the power of the sled.

Not trying to cause trouble, but I would think it would be wise to spray a fuel/oil mixture in the intake as to lube the conecting rod bearings. It shouldn't bother the balancing. A minute is a long time if the bearings are dry or just have oil laying in the bottom.

F

fassteddie

Nov 27, 2007
renton wa.
skidoo must have found something with balance. on my 2012x the crankshaft has an index mark on it that matches mark on the clutch.....

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
skidoo must have found something with balance. on my 2012x the crankshaft has an index mark on it that matches mark on the clutch.....

And I wonder if Doo did something similar on the other end of the crank if they are indexing the clutch?? I wonder if the clutch (and flywheel??) is now balanced/weighted in a way to offset piston motion/vibration. And if so, does Perks get royalties? :face-icon-small-win

T
Aug 8, 2011
Ive seen a very impressive gain backed up in 1/4 mile asphalt drags on a Polaris triple that Perk did the balance work on. If a motor is out of balance it fights itself and frictional loss will kill you. Having the clutch balanced is the minimum I would recommend having done.
Ive got 4 motors lined up too go see him really soon. Should be alot of fun too see the results in the hills.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
If he balances the clutch and you dont have 0 run out on the crankshaft it doesn't change anything RUN OUT IS RUN OUT its bad. You have to clock the primary clutch and the crankshaft. Until you get rid of the run out your going to continue eat the bearings regardless. Every time you pull your primary. Doo you put the pto side on tdc and make sure the mark on the stationary sheave is pointed straight up? The sliding sheave ,governer cup and stationary sheave have to be clocked the same. If not when you put it back on you can actually be making it more off balance because its not clocked with the crankshaft. Realistically his primary balance is only partially helping one side of the engine.. Anyone with triple beam can balance pistons,pins and rings. don't forget the rods 2

Premium Features