• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Patricks Carbon Clutching Full Meal or Happy Meal?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I’d like to hear from anybody out there that is had first hand experience having TJ carbon fiber clutch cover with titanium bolts, lightening and balancing your primary and secondary clutches.

I could definitely see how balancing and lightening your primary and secondary could really be good for overall engine longevity and for smooth running engine. I could also see the benefits of the carbon fiber clutch cover and titanium bolts removing even more rotating mass for a snappier throttle.

The chatter about the 9r being obviously a bigger bore motor, but with the light fly wheel and lighter crankshaft, it makes it and inherently snappier motor. I can’t help but think you could get a just as snappy of a motor on the 850 with something like TJ does.

Like I said I’d love to hear anybody that’s done it on their sled and what they think, besides the sales pitch articles that SnoWest does, which are great, but again I want to hear from guys that did it to their sled or hopped on their buddies sled that had it

[mention]MikeMetzger [/mention]

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Subscribed, thinking of doing this on my 22 Matryx. Interesting article here:

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I agree it’s an interesting article, just like I said wanna see some real world opinions and thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
We have rebuilding and balancing Polaris clutches for over 35 years.

The best thing for our clutch business and Piston sales has been lite-weight clutch machining and lite-weight covers.

And Since 2016 …. The beginning of the lite-weight Axys crank, Drive clutch life expectancy before needing service has decreased.

The Polaris crankshaft and clutch assembly since 2016 has shortened the clutch life, and motor mount life.

The 2013 Thru 2015 RMK Motors were the most dependable Polaris 800 Thru the life of the small block 800.

All 2016 800 thru 2019 850 motors need more crankshaft / drive clutch mass not less.

The desire for lite-weight is understandable but comes at a fairly steep cost if you ride alot.

Love the lite-weight stuff it’s a service shops dream come true, Our clutch covers our heavier then stock and lengthen clutch and motor life.

I get the draw of the lite weight drive train stuff…..But I am to old to sell products that shorten motor life and clutch life and Create mad customers.

2-1/2 to 3 pounds lighter in the drive train cause lots of bad vibration and pre-mature wear Thru out the entire sled.

what’s funny about all this lite-weight crank,clutch,flywheel stuff…… is it’s all about feel not fact.

Back in 2005/06 we built a custom billet crankshaft for the Polaris 866 motor it was 5 pounds heavier then the stock crankshaft.

it was well known by the hard core 900 riders that the fly wheel effect of the heavier crankshaft climbing hills was unbeatable because when you left off the throttle and get back into it the motor did not unload and it stayed in its power curve much better.

The Polaris 900R will suffer a much shorter life then the 850 Because of the lite flywheel….. They should have added a little more weight to the 900R not take it away.

The 2 year warranty says it all….. ( I am surprised it even comes with a warranty ) My guess is Polaris is hoping most are sold to flatlanders that only ride once or twice a year.

900R Hard core mountain riders that ride a lot, and ride with lots of extended Full Throttle better have a good back up sled and save the 900R for blue bird days.

Note to self - Good Motor mounts saved The Harley Davidson Motorcycle company.

The 900R will need really good motor mounts.

If a 900R had 2016 Axys motor mounts the motor would destroy itself in under 750 miles…… install a lite-weight clutch cover and flywheel…..it would be lucky to make it past 250 miles.

The release of 2023 900R has Spark design and release of a Full Billet crankshaft from Indy Specialty.

For the first time since 2005/06 Indy Specialty has decided the 900R is going to worth the investment and energy to build a complete crankshaft assembly….. Better Balanced and a little more mass to make the Polaris 850/900R The best performing Big Block 2 Stroke of all time.?

Don’t shoot the messenger.

Dan

Last edited:

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I had both my Clutches balanced by TJ. I had the secondary lightened also installed the light weight parts from Zollinger in the secondary. I had Zollinger lighten the brake disk. All said and done it took 2lbs off my Jackshaft. I didnt do any lighten on the crank. I understand what Dan is saying about the wear and the differnent components. The question "Did it help" I don't know it was a really good running 800 before and still is. Did it spin fast and all that maybe. Would I do it again I don't think so. The work was fine and everything is great. I just don't know if the feel benefit is there. The cool factor is for sure. It does make a secondary light. I have always wondered why the secodary spider is such a boat anchor? I'm in the camp of leaving the crank side stuff alone or add a heavier cover with balance.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Good stuff guys. I too understand the pro of a heavier flywheel, having rode dirt bikes my entire life, what do ya do? Add weight to the flywheel for more grunt, tractor like power. I’m not too keen on spending the money, nor do I feel my Matryx needs more. Become a better rider and alot of the stuff is forgotten about.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features