• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCX 180 Mounting Question

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I am installing a MCX 180 kit on my 2008 Nytro. The instructions say to use the stock mounting bolts and rubber mounts when installing the steel bracket to the turbo. Of course I threw the stock muffler away along time ago, but dug through some boxes to find some parts. Are these the correct mounts and does this look right? Everything seems to fit but it sure seems like the turbo will flop around alot. I am going with a tunnel dump so I won't have the muffer to help keep everything solid.

Also, I am getting ready to cut the stock header. There are two pictures in manual. One shows a collector tube being cut off as well which doesn't make sense. Is this required?

I am sure this will just be the start of the questions.

Thanks.

66cknl.jpg

A

akhammer

Nov 26, 2007
anchorage, AK/ SLC Utah
Yes those are the mounts and mine has no play at all. I didn't run the tunnel dump and don't really know how that would make it less solid.

good luck your going to love that kit.

B
Dec 18, 2007
Here is a welded exhaust flange. The turbo mount looks right. Once it is bolted up she will be solid as a rock :face-icon-small-hap. You should throw a pic on of your tunnel dump when it is all complete. Hope this helps.

LL

Exhaust.jpg

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
Thanks for the replies. Next question... I am using the stock tunnel, auxillary cooler and CR exhaust tunnel dump. Does anyone know how much has to be cut out of the cooler to make it clear the tunnel dump? Looks like about 5" but I want to be sure.

Has anyone done this? Imagine that there is a plate running done the middle of the cooler with a notch in the end so that the coolant will flow to the end and then return. I can't weld aluminum so I want to be able to take this to a shop and explain what to do or better yet, find a shop that has done it before.

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
ya 5 inches and yes you have to trim the inside like nibble it out so it will flow. Easy job make sure they pressure test it...last one cost us 50 bucks.

Thanks.

Did you cut the end cap off and re-use or map a new one?

Where has everyone mounted the little black solenoid thingy that actuates the wastegate? There is an oprn tubing connecttion on the box, does anything hook up to this?

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
I just made a new end cap, the bleed screw isnt needed from what I have seen. The MCX boost controller mount it so it stays warm and out of the snow ect.....or it will freeze and cause your boost numbers to go way up which isnt good. You have the MM seat right? You'll need a Dayco 70921 also for the intake.

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
Where have you guys been mounting your MCX box? Dry and warm sounds good to me.

Just wanted to get some ideas going before it gets mounted.

Thanks

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
Yes, I have a MM seat so I will have to cut the heat shield off just behind the turbo and make a plate to close off the back end. I wonder if I could mount the boost controler on the back of this plate inside the seat storage area. I don't see how else it could stay dry.

Good tip on the intake hose. I have one on order. Now I just have to cut a hole in my seat.:face-icon-small-sho

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Ya I have mine on the top of the exhaust cover so it does sit inside the trunk and stays warm. Also Make sure when you build your cover make it removable with thread inserts not rivots just incase you have to remove it in the field. Wait until you get the hose and measure to cut. I thought you got the correct seat last year for this future MCX add on??

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
Yes, I have the MM MCX seat, but Murray didn't cut a hole in it because I just had an under tunnel exhaust before. So now I need to get the hole saw out and try to cut it without shredding the fabric. I'll figure something out.

E

evil1

Aug 7, 2008
fort mcmurray, alberta,canada
snafu i had the same deal as you,,murray makes a mcx seat for the 180 kit with a trunk,,so sold my undertunnel one from him and puchased that one,,but my solenoid is mounted on top of the sheild that guards the turbo from the track,,and my original heat sheild is installed,,so theres lots of heat there to keep any freeze up troubles away.. if my sled was here in my shop i'd post ya some pics,,if ya still havn trouble i can do that next week for ya..

Premium Features