• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aro ski on old spindle

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I think this has been answered but i cant seem to find it. Does the new ski bolt directly to the 17 and older spindle?
If so are there any negative effects from not using the new spindle?
After watching the way my buddies can turn in deep snow i am sold.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I'm running an aro ski on the old spindle. The only difference other than looks is the aro ski bolt is metric 10mm I believe and the old bolt was 3/8. So the new bolt may or may not fit thru the sleeve in the old spindle block depending on how worn out it is. I bought the package deal with a aro ski and spindle for under 500 because that's a hell of a deal but I prefer the old spindle so I'm saving the aro one for a spare. Make sure u get the new aro rubber the ski will only accept that rubber

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Doing a little bike work in the shop I snapped a few pics for u to ease your mind. If you buy just the ski not the whole kit that comes with spindle make sure you get the little metal piece that goes under the rubber to support it (the rubber) from pounding thru

IMG_2561.jpg IMG_2563.jpg IMG_2565.jpg IMG_2566.jpg IMG_2569.jpg IMG_2573.jpg IMG_2576.jpg IMG_2574.jpg IMG_2570.jpg

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
First day on the aro ski

so i ended up going with the ski and spindle both. Too good a deal to pass up. Anyway, conditions were really good for the bike. 12-20 inches of right side up powder with some solid tracks underneath to find when you needed them. Wind loaded much deeper on certain aspects.
First thing with the new ski. Got stuck on some pavement in the plowed parking lot. Track spinning out and ski cought on the pavement. Ridiculous U channel design. I remember my 16 TS ski doing this also until I switched to the triple gold carbide. Can’t believe TS still uses this design.
Anyway, not important. I will fix this soon. What is important is how awesome the ski holds on steep downhills and turning uphill while sidehilling. This is why I bought the new ski and it’s worth every penny. So many times today where my old ski would have washed out the aro ski held. Very happy with deep light snow performance so far.
Sharp turns going downhill were confidence inspiring. Can’t wait for tomorrow!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
What is it that attributes to this ski holding side hills and turns ?

I don't understand what people are saying because I can't see anything that should make this ski so good besides the hardware ?

And if it is the hardware wouldn't a person be better off saving several hundred dollars ?

Does the mounting location make it that good ?

Just asking a simple question .

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
What is it that attributes to this ski holding side hills and turns ?

I don't understand what people are saying because I can't see anything that should make this ski so good besides the hardware ?

And if it is the hardware wouldn't a person be better off saving several hundred dollars ?

Does the mounting location make it that good ?

Just asking a simple question .

Not sure. I think the width plays a large part. Also must have something to do with the larger keels? The mounting location is different than the old ski. The new ski has more out front. I have the risk racing lock and load system and it doesn’t work with my new ski. The ski hits the end of the bed and my pegs are about an inch back from fitting in the clamps.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
That's interesting , so if it's farther out front it will also affect the nimbleness . Kind of like changing the fork rake .
But with the hardware it's a wash . Sounds like it might float better on the old less aggressive skids too ?

The skis on the new sleds are closer to the skid making them harder to control , loosing the point and shoot of the old . Guess with a one ski you really don't need them to be more nimble , just babbling .

Hope you can compare apples to apples tomorrow .

Premium Features