• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Helmet? Klim? 509?

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I'm in the market for a new helmet. I was all excited about the 509, but all it is is an AFX 100 dollar helmet with bold new graphics and 509 on it. The Klim seems nice because it is very light, but it seems people think it fits funny? I also have been looking at the HJC cl-x6. What do you guys think? I have an AFX now, and it is just fine...

N
Dec 17, 2010
Chico, CA
I've always heard the Klim helmet was fairly heavy, but I could be mistaken. I just picked up a Fly Racing F2 Carbon Kevlar helmet and its pretty nice. I'll have my first ride with it on Friday so I'm pretty stoked to test it out. I would not say the Fly helmet is the lightest for a carbon kevlar helmet but it is still pretty light and very good quality from what I can see.

M
Sep 14, 2010
iowa
509 helmet = junk. Bought one after looking at it during haydays. I sure wish I could have my money back.

Breath Box dont stay put at all. held in by the snaps that hold the snaps that hold the LIner in becides your cheeek. Nothing up front to keep it from rotating around and falling under my chin. Can be fixed with some old fashioned velcro.

Chin strap has a snap on it. the snap is there to stop the strap from flapping in the wind. Great idea until you have to feed this thing through D rings every time the helmet goes on and off. Now I have to take my gloves offf to oput on my helmet. If you may have to remove your helmet in a hurry forget it. The snap is there stopping any hurry. Can be fixed with removing the snap.

Im sorry but for a helmet the I paid so much for. And needing some fine tuning is a real bummer.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Liked my HJC, Liked my 509, Love the Klim...see classifieds if you want an XXL 509. HJC will also be there but waiting for a replacement visor for it first.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Most if not all helmets have the snap. Install a quick release if you don't like it.

509 helmet = junk. Bought one after looking at it during haydays. I sure wish I could have my money back.

Breath Box dont stay put at all. held in by the snaps that hold the snaps that hold the LIner in becides your cheeek. Nothing up front to keep it from rotating around and falling under my chin. Can be fixed with some old fashioned velcro.

Chin strap has a snap on it. the snap is there to stop the strap from flapping in the wind. Great idea until you have to feed this thing through D rings every time the helmet goes on and off. Now I have to take my gloves offf to oput on my helmet. If you may have to remove your helmet in a hurry forget it. The snap is there stopping any hurry. Can be fixed with removing the snap.

Im sorry but for a helmet the I paid so much for. And needing some fine tuning is a real bummer.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN

Your complaining about needing some velcro? Really?

And the button...chit man every lid I've had has had that and I have no trouble threading it through, winter or summer, gloves or no gloves. And I'd say you have some serious troubles if that snap is keeping you from getting your helmet off quick...maybe so spinach the night before? Or just don't snap it.

Really you are beotching about some cosmetic issues that amount to 2 dollars and learning to use your fingers, on lid that is 180 and is sold by a sledder for sledders and the money goes right back into the sport. Be honest your not gonna find a ton of helmets for sub 200 and non of those are gonna be TLD or Shoie

Did you not spend time looking at it at Hay Days and ask questions about any concerns you had?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I like my Klim lid because my quick strap goggles are easy to remove and restrap. The Fly that I just got is not so easy, I do like that the eye port is more centered where the Klim seems higher, never noticed it until the Fly showed up.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Thor carbon force or ARAI Arais abetter helmet but thor lighter in carbon fiber...imho...oh klim is really nice but...TRY IT ON before buying fit is "different"

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
I had an old Fox style helmet i used for years. Bought a 509 last year and liked it. Dog ate my 509 started looking around and found out is is an AFX helmet that i can get for $35. Wasn't too happy. Now going to try out the KLIM helmet. The rest of my gear is KLIM and absolutely love it so im sure the helmet will be nothing short of exceptional as well.

I

idaho ride

Nov 7, 2010
WASHINGTON
get the klim helmet, awesome helmet!

i dont like the klim helmet. for a $400 helmet i want to LOVE IT! so i have to give a bad review on a BAD FIT. .

couple of my cousins spent the money and got the Troy Lee, i rode with one for a day and fell in love with it, so much i may get one this year and not even wait till next year. if you try on the klim and like it then i will sell you my patriot for $200 its an XL :face-icon-small-hap

I

idaho ride

Nov 7, 2010
WASHINGTON
I had an old Fox style helmet i used for years. Bought a 509 last year and liked it. Dog ate my 509 started looking around and found out is is an AFX helmet that i can get for $35. Wasn't too happy. Now going to try out the KLIM helmet. The rest of my gear is KLIM and absolutely love it so im sure the helmet will be nothing short of exceptional as well.

i live in Klim gear, love it, wont purchase anything else, BUT DO NOOOOT LIKE THE HELMET. :frown:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
the one thing I've found about these threads is you have to take all advice with a grain of salt. Everyone is different and has different tastes so just try them all on and see which you like. My HJC does just fine

H

HAYSTAX

Feb 1, 2010
Diamond Valley, NV
Just bought a Fox Racing V2 and am very happy with it. Fits great with 509 Sinister goggles I received for Christmas. Pretty nice to finally have a new helmet and goggles for a change!

I'm a moto guy so Fox has always been a brand I use and trust. Good helmet for the money.

Premium Features