• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 r3, r4, r3L carbon or Klim Carbon

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I’ve been debating on these helmets. Having enclosed with heated visor would be cool for freezing days but not sure how they perform in mountains. I’ve got a cheap motocross helmet and Im used to using a no fog mask, Scott goggles were always good to me and a neck gator. I was leaning toward carbon for lightweight plus I think they look really cool.

I tried Klim Carbon on and thought it was weird I need a XXXL to fit my brain in the bucket (my MC helmet is a XXL. 509R3 ignite an XL fits nice. Weird on the size difference.

Anyway, do I even bother considering the 509 R dual sport MFH for in the mountains or should I stick with an open motocross carbon helmet and go with the Klim Carbon Fiber? If the 509, which one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ridesummit

Premium Member
Jan 24, 2022
I’ve been debating on these helmets. Having enclosed with heated visor would be cool for freezing days but not sure how they perform in mountains. I’ve got a cheap motocross helmet and Im used to using a no fog mask, Scott goggles were always good to me and a neck gator. I was leaning toward carbon for lightweight plus I think they look really cool.

I tried Klim Carbon on and thought it was weird I need a XXXL to fit my brain in the bucket (my MC helmet is a XXL. 509R3 ignite an XL fits nice. Weird on the size difference.

Anyway, do I even bother considering the 509 R dual sport MFH for in the mountains or should I stick with an open motocross carbon helmet and go with the Klim Carbon Fiber? If the 509, which one?

Spoke with product development guy at 509. Some pretty cool **** coming next season in helmets.

I have klim 5 carbon fiber Super light.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Spoke with product development guy at 509. Some pretty cool **** coming next season in helmets.

I have klim 5 carbon fiber Super light.

When does their season start with full stock typically? Still Sept-Oct? I notice a lot of out of stock and can’t preorder on a lot of their stuff. I’m usually late to the party finding that gear and apparel stuff in the past so my selection is usually very limited by the time I look. Typically go with Klim since I like the fit of their tall sizes.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I tried the Klims and 509s, didn't fit me.

Bought an FXR Helium Carbon with d-ring. Ultra light and comfortable. Worth a look too.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I went with a new Klim Carbon Pro coming out, preordered at the dealer. Dang. Looking how the Tall sizes get picked over so fast for apparel looks like I'm going to have to order everything for next year really soon.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Or they don't offer Tall sizes at all. The other things is if your Tall you can only wear Black in bibs. The Klim Valdez jacket has longer arms on it I have a XXL that fits good. They also wear like iron its going on 8yrs old and still good it has hit many of tree branch. I have struggled with this forever. I don't understand why? Its like this with all clothes and Boots, Shoes whatever.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
LL Bean offers some stuff in tall sizes. I got my down mid layer from them in a tall and some fleeces too.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
LL Bean offers some stuff in tall sizes. I got my down mid layer from them in a tall and some fleeces too.
Outstanding call! I found like 5 Midlayer items there that I bought. First time with them online so 10% off at email registration and free shipping as well. Thanks again!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Outstanding call! I found like 5 Midlayer items there that I bought. First time with them online so 10% off at email registration and free shipping as well. Thanks again!
I've scored some decent stuff from them.

I hope the gear works out for you!

Premium Features