• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another runnability issue. Looking to see who has run across something similar...

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
New problem. Thinking out loud here and also looking for others insight if they have run across something similar....

2017 Axys 163 3".-- 2800 miles on chassis.
1100 miles on Indy Specialty Short Rod motor

Installed new clutch, rpm around 8450 on 2' deep road 8200 skid buried and churning. Stoked.

Ripping around sled feels good. Roll out of throttle, come to a stop, find an alternative line, punch the throttle, blaaaahhhh one cylinder.

Pull plugs, PTO really dark, Mag side looks light. Install new plugs, feels like E-VES aren't opening or its on one cylinder. Flat sounding and 6000 rpm max.

Into my shop it goes..... Compression is within 2 pounds of each cylinder.

Check EVES cable (it was replaced less then 100 miles ago) cable is good. All three valve positions can be distinctly felt.

Lift rear of sled and watch EVES actuator. Start sled, E-VES goes through three position check. Warm sled up to 120 degree (2017 not 18 thermostat) Whack the throttle open sled falls on its face and refuses to pull over 6000 rpm..... E-VES stays closed or in middle position after repeated attempts.

hmmmmm..... swapped out E-VES relays for good measure

Sled still with rear elevated, roll easy into throttle. Ease past 6000 rpm, E-VES valves open around 6500, exhaust note changes and continue easing into throttle until E-VES valve opens fully and rpm hits 8000....

Put rear of sled back on the ground and back sled out of shop. Stab throttle falls on its face, sounds like valves staying closed. Ease into throttle and can slowly accelerate until valves open first at 6500 and then again around 7500... Try and ride in a normal fast throttle opening way and sled sounds flat-- hard to distinguish sound between closed valves or pulling a dead cylinder.

No codes thrown. I know there are ECU parameters that will force the valves closed under certain conditions -- but I have not seen a single code thrown or engine light illuminated.

Thinking my next step is plugging in to Digital Wrench and test firing the injectors, E-VES, fuel pump and looking for any issues. The next step after that is swapping parts out of our other Axys sleds until we stumble across the issue.... I hate throwing parts at something. I like analyzing and diagnosing, finding a smoking gun.

Anyone run across something similar?

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
what pops in my mind is switching coils if you have another sled there to try that. It wouldn’t take long, I had one act up on my Pro and suspicious of an issue with one on my wife’s axys.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Possibly a flat spot in the tps causing the ecu to not make correct adjustments to valves. The kinda flat spot you’d only see on a analog volt meter. Punch it and it glitches, roll through slowly and it has time to think.

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Plugged into DW-- Pulled up P1351 Ignition coil circuit open.

Will swap out coils.
Then swap out full harness with one of our other sleds.
I have a new PWM converter and have swapped those out before without requiring a re-learn.
I also have a spare actuator that I can try.

F

freerideordie

Dec 24, 2007
B.C.
also check the wiring leading up the the coil plug, seen 3 machines where the copper wire has broken right at the 2 wire coil plug on the harness side.. looks fine until you pull on the wire.

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Sounds similar to an issue i had at the end of the season last year. Ended up being the stator.

Resistance test and continuity test were ok but I’ve also had stators fail to work after testing ok.

Need to install an Indy Specialty long rod motor in a customers sled and then I’ll be back on this problem.

T
Nov 11, 2008
I have been chasing a similar issue with my sled, been to the dealer (two different ones) and thus far no answers.

First time it popped up was 20+ days into this season. Riding 3 climbs back on a deep day, sled wouldn't pull RPM and acted like it was either dropping a cylinder or exhaust valves weren't opening. Checked plugs, replaced, swapped relays, checked all major components, ran for 5 mins and did it again, progressively getting worse until eventually wouldn't go over 6000rpm and finally threw a CEL. What a pain to climb out of some of those spots.

First they thought it could have been some condensation or corrosion on the PWM to analog converter (401435) causing the actuator to malfunction even though I was getting a Short to Battery voltage code. Cleaned that up and it ran fine right from the shop for a 30 mile burn across several fields. There were 150 exhaust related codes that came up on the DW. It was over an hour ride out the first day so it didn't surprised me.

Skip ahead another 10+ days riding, and same issue. Two climbs back, starting surging and not pulling rpm. CEL came on right away. Started riding out and then halfway out the opposite, it would barely idle, over fueling/oiling so bad it was like a diesel rolling coal and there was no bottom end. Signal Out of Range, Valve Closed. This somewhat made sense given what we were seeing.

So between not going over 6000 RPM on two of the occasions then it switching to barely idling and having no low end everyone is at a loss on what to do. I'd trade it on a new sled but trade in values suck. I hate to sell it to someone but it has warranty until Dec 2019 at least.

I have seen a few 16's have some gremlins, the odd '17 chase some issues and some questionable mapping on the 18's. I hate being a first year guinea pig on maybe a 19, maybe I just take a year off riding?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Swapping out stator tomorrow after I inspect air gap between pickup and flywheel.

I have another sled with same injector color (yellow) and oil offset that I can plug in. If stator or ECU doesn’t cure it I’ll swap out entire harness.....

Is there anything else that shares the same circuit?

Sometimes DTC's can be erroneous and caused by something completely different.

Have you back probed (both) coils? I don't have a current schematic to look at.

Premium Features