• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beginner questions

C
Dec 28, 2008
Friant, Ca.
I have a rekluse on my yz450f w/ Timbersled ST and that's normal for me too. No big deal. It will start in gear every now and then but 10x easier in neutral. When it does start in gear and i forget, it's usually pretty comical!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I'm new to the snowbike world and picked up a low houred 2015 KTM 450. I put a Rekluse on right off the bat and have noticed that nine times out of ten my bike won't start unless i'm in neutral even with clutch pulled in. Wondering if this is pretty normal or is there something out of adjustment?
Thanks

cold off the truck you want to find neutral on my KTM 500 to us the button to start. Once my ride temp is up to 150 degrees, the rest of the day it starts easily by just pulling in the clutch and hitting the starter.

T
Feb 20, 2019
The important thing is that you got one. Now get out there and ride that thing.

Just got it and riden it in the heavy melting snow. Husaberg rocks in low and mid-rage, what a sound with Acropovic muffler!
After lifting it after falls in deep snow on the hill - no, I do not want anything heavier. No sportbikes for sure :)

Thus, more beginner questions:
- the bike came with pretty high clearance and steep track forward angle. Pulls great, but very difficult to get on, and difficult to stop (and I got long legs;)
I have lowered the bike 3 inches down, by ajusting the angle of the track to bike frame. Very comfortable to sit now with both legs on the gound. But the track got very flat in the front section.
How does the track front approach angle affect performance on the snow? Shall it be steep or flat in the front section?

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
Just got it and riden it in the heavy melting snow. Husaberg rocks in low and mid-rage, what a sound with Acropovic muffler!
After lifting it after falls in deep snow on the hill - no, I do not want anything heavier. No sportbikes for sure :)

Thus, more beginner questions:
- the bike came with pretty high clearance and steep track forward angle. Pulls great, but very difficult to get on, and difficult to stop (and I got long legs;)
I have lowered the bike 3 inches down, by ajusting the angle of the track to bike frame. Very comfortable to sit now with both legs on the gound. But the track got very flat in the front section.
How does the track front approach angle affect performance on the snow? Shall it be steep or flat in the front section?

So changing your strut length is doing more than just changing approach angle and lowering the bike, you now have more fork rake and your tack isnt sitting flat it will be as* up and you probably wont like how it will trench. get your track sitting pretty flat and make small length adjustments to get the ski pressure how you like it. you can tweak fork height too. I would just get a low seat and send it. the lean back can work but its not preferable to go extreme with it.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Ski pressure was my biggest complaint on the 2 different snowbikes I rented (Camso and TS) so I went on a research mission to figure out if any kits addressed this and the answer is yes! CMX!

a 15 wide track would be harder too lean over and it would also stick out width wise past the pegs and be easier to catch on things. As far as length goes, Longer you are the less you can flick it around like a bike and ski pressure gets annoying. I think longer will be easier handle on custom built bikes when they get the track up under your feet, getting the center of gravity better and overall length down.

Last edited:
T
Feb 20, 2019
So changing your strut length is doing more than just changing approach angle and lowering the bike, you now have more fork rake and your tack isnt sitting flat it will be as* up and you probably wont like how it will trench. get your track sitting pretty flat and make small length adjustments to get the ski pressure how you like it. you can tweak fork height too. I would just get a low seat and send it. the lean back can work but its not preferable to go extreme with it.

No, I did not notice any problem with increased rake, the bike is very controllable, and the ski planes well.

But the track... with flat approach angle it cannot plane uphill... digs a tunnel and stops. And the snowbike has no reverse :((((

Premium Features