• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 m8 -m1000

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
granted i've done some work to my 1000 but now its right up there with the easiet booning sleds i've been on and its got power for days. I've def had belt issues though but I'm getting those figured out. Is it perfect - no, but we are getting there!!! :D

I would never trade it for an M8 as i've ridden a few with SLP pipes (160hp claimed) and my sled crushed them in stock form, and now its lighter than most m8s and has MUCH more power. Why diss it!?

M
Dec 5, 2007
I like my M-8 when it runs on one cylinder, it feels alot lighter too.who gives a darn go ride & have fun. By next year we will all be riding a fan-cooled.

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Sounds to me like fordman needs to grow a pair! Learn how to handle the power or stick to the trail little fella!

Yeah, ol' Fordman get's scared pretty easy. But his biggest problem is agoraphobia. He get's spooked when he gets in big open places. That's why you won't find him more than 20 feet from the trees.

He get's so scared on big open climbs that he'll rip his track in half, just so he doesn't have to go any higher.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
M1000 is choked down from the factory. With the addition of a pipe and a lot more air to the intake, there isn't an M8 that will touch it. The M8 with a pipe and good clutching is great. If you rode in deep power in a meadow, the M8 is all you'd need, but it's a different story on the mountain :)

F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
Yeah, ol' Fordman get's scared pretty easy. But his biggest problem is agoraphobia. He get's spooked when he gets in big open places. That's why you won't find him more than 20 feet from the trees.

He get's so scared on big open climbs that he'll rip his track in half, just so he doesn't have to go any higher.

You should go back to the Ski-Doo section and complain about the broken parts!

F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
Maybe you can't read up there in the Great White North but down here is the states a 1200 mod sled is not a stock M1000. Look it up.

I'll just bring the T-Apex if it's about power.... Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaase..

Last edited:
K

Klimbing Kitty

Not much even to do with power. You sound like my Dad who rides an 09 M8. He is always stuck in the trees. the new M8 is not really that stock with a lightweight tuned pipe. No Torque no go. The M1 is not going anywhere it has mass room for improvements on its HP in the future but at the moment why??? it is still the King of the mountain as a stock sled. Loose the stock can and seat and a few other little things oil delete headlights and that insulation under the hood, and a few pounds off that beer belly and your the same weight as the 8.

Last edited:
F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
I know where you're going with it but I bet you next year it's still gone. The guys up at elevation have a point... but take a look at dealer left overs and it's usually the 1000's that are left. It's kind of like the T-Cat.... They were good at one thing and only a few people bought that. The market for that sled is so small now that it has no chance to survive.... even with all the other manufacturers out of the 1000 business...besides the Apex.

G
Dec 17, 2002
North Bend, Washington

Most XP's start to self destruct before they even make it to the "big open climbs"!!!! but as far as the M1000 most defiantly a Pig!!!!

M
Dec 27, 2008
kremtucky, co
I like the 1000. I ride an 07 and love it. Hope AC improves it rather than get rid of it but it always comes down to what is best for business and meeting epa standards. Meeting epa regulations is never good for business. unfortunaetly if the M1 isnt selling enough then it wouldnt worth the cost of upgrading or continuing the line.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
I guarantee if the 1000 stays and the hp is upped to 180, cat will sell a bunch of them.
I hope it stays, if not I will do sme mods to my 08 and walk all over the m8's:D

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Jez, the 1k isn't that bad. My 01 800mc was something like 540 dry, King Kat was heavier when it came out. And anyone who remembers Polaris 900 how heavy that was. Christ if the sled weighed 5lbs and there were other sleds that weighed 4lbs you'd be b^tchin! The 1k is still an awesome sled. We'll see how well lightening the crank works out on these new big hp 800's.

MR MOOSE

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2008
Gods country B.C. !
In all honesty the 09 M1000 isnt that much heavier, I have a sno pro with the 162,a D&D can and boss seat and it weighs 543 full to the brim with all fluids. My cousins XP with a 163 and a MBRP can full weighed 521. So even stock the power to weight ratio is in favour of the 1000, and if youre gonna mod its not even fair to compare because the XP is maxed out right out of the crate. And as far as the apex goes its an awsome trouble free sled but ride with big friends because no matter how much power it has, when its stuck 680 plus pounds is still 680 plus pounds no matter how u look at it!

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
M1000 is done after 2010 I predict.
When I bought my M7 new in 2006 the King Cat was still offered, but all the dealers brought in the M's for floor stock.
Same deal here - they'll leave the 1000 in the line up for 2010 to get rid of all the parts inventory; and keep evolving the M8 - as 800cc is the Mountain class.
I suspect the M1000 will be replaced with a Z1 Mountain four stroke.

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Now there's a dumb move! Replace a sled people are whining is too heavy with a Turbo 4-stroke. About the only one that will be pleased with that is the EPA guys. At best the 4 stroke will still be 20lbs heavier than the M1000 which is a good 20-30lbs heavier than the M8.

I've done the full SLP exhaust, Boss seat and BDX intake as the main items of weight loss and it sure made a big difference mostly between the loss of weight in the hood from the gutted intake and the whole exhaust shaved another 16lbs too with 5lbs more to go when I swap the SLP can out with my Skinz. I'm basically at the weight of a stock to lightly modified M8 and my '07 M1000 handles and performs great. The pipe didn't do much for power, but lost 7lbs off the stocker with all the heat shield junk. Getting rid of the weight that hangs away from the motor made a big difference in handling. I want to go with a leftover '09 M8 and boost it, but I don't know if I'll miss the torque and reliability my M1000 has given me?

Last edited:
Premium Features