• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to get unstuck

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
There seems to be a lot of new guys in the deep powder getting stuck. Last Saturday at the Range, a group of riders had to be rescued. Not sure of the out come.

Stick one: You are in the really deep snow on the flat, straight ahead stuck. Snow over your hood.

Stick two: Climbing a really steep hill, not so deep snow, stuck straight up, dug in. You are afraid your sled will roll off the hill.

Stick three: Your sled rolls into a trench, 6 feet deep.

How do you get your sled out by yourself? How do you get it out with 4 people?

K
Feb 19, 2008
ESko, mn
lift a lot of weights, haha
sorry i had to add that, I personally carry a shovel in my backpack along with all my buddies too and it seems to work pretty good, but I'm not to sure about the 6 foot deep trench.
-Kenny

G

girlpowder

I like the idea of a helicopter. I can tip my sled back upright when I lay it on it's side. All the other sticks I need my hubs help. All I know is you stay off the sled. There are a lot of tricks my hub has been teaching me. You should PM sledhead ut. For one thing he rarely get's stuck and he know all the tricks not to break your back.

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
Well this is for the xp riders.

Stick one: Not going to happen
stick two: Not likely to happen
stick three: That would be rider error and im guessing it would mostlikely be a polaris or yamy rider lol.

Just my .02 but a shovel and snobunge always come in handy.

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
1. Pack down the snow in front of the sled. Use a Jack to lift the back of the sled and push onto snow away from your trench.

2. Jack sled from the side, from your drop bracket. Pack down snow on jack side. Grab skis and twist sled around.

3. Pack down snow around sled as well as escape route. Jack sled from handle bars to get sled upright.

Note this is all done with one person. Also on #2 I have never done it. I saw it and was amazed.

M
Feb 6, 2008
Rapid City, SD
1. Pack down the snow in front of the sled. Use a Jack to lift the back of the sled and push onto snow away from your trench.

2. Jack sled from the side, from your drop bracket. Pack down snow on jack side. Grab skis and twist sled around.

3. Pack down snow around sled as well as escape route. Jack sled from handle bars to get sled upright.

Note this is all done with one person. Also on #2 I have never done it. I saw it and was amazed.

So... what's this jack you speak of? My jack is my back! Boy am I sore after a couple of #2's. LOL!

I have done all of the above & you simply have to take your time & stomp a lot of snow, lift, pull, stomp, lift, pull, stomp... you get the idea. if your worried about the sled rolling, dig out under the track on the uphill side then stand on the uphill side & bounce it flat. After a lot of digging & stomping... simply ride it out. Make sure you are pointing somewhat down hill or you're just gonna be stuck again. :mad:

On cold days, I have purposefully got stuck pointed uphill just to warm up. :D After 20-30 mins of digging, pulling, stomping, lifting, tugging... you're pretty warm.

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.highliftjack.com

P1010002.jpg

C
Jan 14, 2008
St. Paul, MN
Stick one: You are in the really deep snow on the flat, straight ahead stuck. Snow over your hood.

Stick two: Climbing a really steep hill, not so deep snow, stuck straight up, dug in. You are afraid your sled will roll off the hill.

Stick three: Your sled rolls into a trench, 6 feet deep.

How do you get your sled out by yourself? How do you get it out with 4 people?

Stick one: Stomp the snow down all around the front including on both sides of the skis. Then tip it over on it's side, and stomp snow into the trench. Tip it back, and tip to the other side and repeat. On the flat, that should be plenty to get you out.

Stick two: First, never do this. You should always turn out before you get stuck like that, yet we all do it.... Anyways, best way to get out of that is to roll the sled. Roll it over and it will be out of the trench and facing downhill, just make sure you hang on. Sounds crazy, I know... but watch it done a few times and you'll see how to do it without having the sled roll down the mountain.

Stick three: Pray that a group of flatlanders from MN come by and help lift you out. :face-icon-small-coo

stick 1 and 3, get the track on some snow with base, clear the area in front of you as best you can and get moving easily.......nail it! #3 is prolly gonna need some sidehilling technique to get back up out of the trench......sounds like fun.

stick 2. first, you deserve whatever happens. don't get stuck going straight up. shovel a level platform starting at the rear of your track. build a good shelf big enough to land the sled on. once that is done, dig the sled out and pull it around to the shelf. get on the high side......nail it!

don't forget that you can just grab your sled and roll it over to gt on fesh snow too.

E

EEEK FACTOR

Nov 26, 2007
#1When you are alone and the snow is deep enough.. clean out the snow from one side stand on the running board and pull it on its side, then walk around to the other side grab the bottom of the track and push it over...repeat until the sled is back on its track. start it and giver. can also work on the hill along as its not too steep. as far as #3...your gonna need a shovel and a visa...the shovel to dig...the visa to buy your buddies round after round of their beverage of choice.

S
Dec 17, 2007
Selah, WA
Confucius says, these are the sticky stucks that one must master on the road to becoming a good rider. The frustration of spending the majority of one's season digging out leads to an eventual epiphany; objects in motion work better left in motion.

F

flying pig

Jan 17, 2008
Wembley Alberta Canada
those three situations are easy, try having your right hand ski five feet up a tree with the sled stuck in the treewell pointing skyward. No saw. Now picture having a m-10 liveaxle in it with a 162 wrapped around it(bout 600lbs with snow in it). Now add that the rear bumper sits 33 inches off the floor without rider weight on it. No one in sight to help, and you're on flat ground. Now add that your motor weighs 149 pounds. That one has taken the cake so far this year for me! Was a good hour getting out of it, tree was just big enough to no let go, finally got off of it and was able to get out.

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
those three situations are easy, try having your right hand ski five feet up a tree with the sled stuck in the treewell pointing skyward. No saw. Now picture having a m-10 liveaxle in it with a 162 wrapped around it(bout 600lbs with snow in it). Now add that the rear bumper sits 33 inches off the floor without rider weight on it. No one in sight to help, and you're on flat ground. Now add that your motor weighs 149 pounds. That one has taken the cake so far this year for me! Was a good hour getting out of it, tree was just big enough to no let go, finally got off of it and was able to get out.

Sounds like a good stuck. Should have had the camera for that one.:D

T

tynels24

Aug 1, 2008
Volga SD
Unless you are on the hill straight up.....just shut it down.....roll it over to get some good snow under it....and ride it out! its much easier than diggin....faster as well!

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Unless you are on the hill straight up.....just shut it down.....roll it over to get some good snow under it....and ride it out! its much easier than diggin....faster as well!

On 2 strokes, be careful to not have it on it's hood for very long. Carb'd models will flood the cylinders, and could possibly hydrolock the motor and spin the crank, ruining that day and many more following days. Also, most airboxes prevent ingestion of water by virtue of a drain in the bottom, with a "catch" to keep it from going to the carbs....that's fine and dandy when the sled is UPRIGHT, but have it inverted and the water will run into the carbs and thus into the motor, another risk of hydrolock and a spun crank.

Rolling the sled works well, but just do it quick and understand the risks.

Premium Features