• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are people still using Nitrous?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I don't see much discussion regarding nitrous injection on the forum anymore. Are people still using it, or have turbos completely dominated as the aftermarket performance enhancer of choice?

The reason I'm asking is, I have a complete new style BOSS NOSS 50Hp kit with three bottles for my 09 M8. I haven't mounted it on my sled for mainly 2 reasons.

1. I'm worried that my clutching, that is finally dialed in, will have to be adjusted to be way low (see out of the powerband) when I am off the nitrous (which will be most of the time).

2. I have the 170 hp SLP Performance edition and I'm a bit concerned that a 50hp shot might push my engine over the edge when I'm on the juice.

3. The added performance runs out when the bottle is empty.

Is anyone out there still running nitrous?

How have you gotten around my concerns above?

Last edited:

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
in the proccess of installing a straightline kit on my 07 im not too worried im running twin pipes some very mild porting and i shaved the head just a touch. i should be in that same hp range but im going to be running a 60 shot. the way i understand it, as long as you arnt hanging on the button for long periods of time it will be fine.

The only time ill be using it (or planning on using it) will be that make it or break it time or that last little stretch in a chute. so i plan on clutching it normal or just dropping 100 or so rpms

M
Feb 25, 2008
Creston B.C.
I run a 30hp shot on my m8 and it works well. Set it up to run good off and only use it when the rpms drop a little climbing. Im gona keep it on my bb for this year. RPM didnt rise to much just more track speed.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the input guys. I thought I read that RPMs rise approximately 100 RPM per 10 hp. If so, I am worried about adding 500 RPM (50 hp) to the 8,200 RPM I am already pulling in a climb. I also thought I read that 8,400 RPM was about all one should ever spin with the M8? So, I thought I would have to drop my non NOS shift speed back to 7,900 RPM to keep from putting a piston through the hood.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
The NEW style boss system flat out works ! I ran it on my 900 and was very impressed !! You do have to decide how to clutch it, either leave it alone and over rev a bet when on the juice. or clutch it to be right on when on the juice. Or split the difference. When I was running it I honestly didn't ever hold the button for more than 2-3 seconds at a time.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
So Rixster, I guess you're saying to go ahead and mount the kit. :face-icon-small-coo

If the snow keeps evading us, I may need something to do on my sled to keep me busy! :face-icon-small-ton

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
I am in the process of installing a Boss Noss kit on my 2012. I have been posting pics in another thread. As for clutching I am thinking of splitting the differance. under rev with out it and slightly over rev on it. I am fortunate that the SLP stage 3 kit revs to 8400. Let us know if you go for it and how it works.

Dec 17, 2007
When I used nitrous I used it to keep sled from bogging down. Push the button to bring rpm back up after a change of direction or the last 50 foot stretch to make the top. Just to push and hold you will out of nos on the trail up. It sucks when your out.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Maybe the hills I am climbing aren't high enough? I seem to wheelie over the tops at 8,200 RPM without nitrous, now that I have my MDS weights dialed in. However, with the new 2.6" Powerclaw, I may need a little more umph to stay in the powerband all the way to the top. If I had one big nitrous bottle I could store under the seat of my sled (I have the 2011 seat), it would last me for several rides.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
So Rixster, I guess you're saying to go ahead and mount the kit. :face-icon-small-coo

If the snow keeps evading us, I may need something to do on my sled to keep me busy! :face-icon-small-ton

Yeah, I would do it again in a heart beat. Wish I wouldn't have sold it with the sled. I left my clutching alone, when you only use if for a second or two at a time its not worth changing your clutching. If you were planning on using it for full pulls in drag races or something then yeah, I would clutch for it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Just to let you know, in my TM8 on 6lbs with MDS weights I was pulling 8050rpm at 10k, then turn the boost all the way to 10lbs and was running 8250rpm. I think that is more than 60hp the sled came alive at 8lbs and turned 8150 huge power increase. Even went up to 13lbs a few times and stayed under 8400.
I would just leave it alone and give it a try, the MDS's hold the extra well.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Well, I never used the kit. I got tired of looking at that beautiful Boss Noss 60 hp wet nitrous kit sitting on a shelf in my shop. I kept asking myself if I would ever use it?

I have come to the conclusion that (for the areas I ride) my sled is running so well that I more than likely would never install the kit. If I rode Cooke City or some place really high in altitude I would think about keeping it. Heck, I even thought about putting it on my 7.3 Powerstoke but, I probably won't do that either.

So, with a somewhat heavy heart, I just listed the kit in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3311349#post3311349

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
On a different theater, happy thoughts and a jack can be handy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQUhxO2iZ9w
Little-Shop-of-Horrors-Audrey-Plant.jpg

Premium Features