• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Planning a trip!

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
Hey everyone,

I am starting to look into planning a trip west this winter. Coming from central MN.

I was wondering if anyone knew of good places to go?

Would like to rent a cabin or something along them lines. We have a group of around 6-8 and we like to make our own meals and stay in one place.

If anyone could give me some resort info or good places to go it would be great?

Thanks,

sledking

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
There are tons of places to do that around here. Seeley lake, island park or west Yellowstone would be the top three in my book. In that order. Not sure of where to stay in Seeley or west, as we always do day trips, but island park we either stay at the pines or the ponds. All three have great trails to the riding, and have endless areas to explore.

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
5 years ago i would say ride the park, but now you cant unless you have an eco-sled...and the carp cops are great for writing tickets down there

seeley is great riding, but theres only one hotel open in the winter...no idea about a cabin

I'm planning (or hoping) to make a trip to island park this year too....

lots of great places all over the western half of MT

I mostly ride remini and marysville (have magpie close by too, all near helena), kings hill isnt far from civilization(white sulfer), the trail up the west boulder in big timber is awesome to ride, then theres lolo, up around kalispell, lincoln, cooke...

well, you get the picture....lots of play areas....narrow it down to what city you wanna be close too, or what type of riding

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
trip

probably be best to just make a plan for a trip to somewhere but not have a definite location till a week before your ready. you cant tell where the snow is till its time. like this year there wanst much snow in ip and west most of the winter. so just save up and be ready to go somewhere next year might be deep but only in the snowies.
just stay active on here from thanksgiving on to stay up to date on snow conditions

Last edited:

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I plan on watching the weather and SW for snow reports the closer it gets to riding time. And I dont really plan on making a decision for prolly another month or two. I just found out from work that I will have to do a bunch of traveling come december through march. so I had to get my request in for time off early so I could for sure get it. I am still looking at different places just was getting some feedback from some of the people that are there all the time

Thanks for info!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
You being from MN you know it all comes down to who has the snow.
So, some people wait until the last minute and hope they can get a place to stay, and some don't have that option so they have to book ahead. Being that you have eight people it would be smart to something ASAP.

What type of riding is your group mainly interested in?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
seely lake

If you come to seely lake, Pm me, I have a friend with rental cabin/ home that sleeps 8 or 10, close to sled shop, resturant, gas, drive from yard to trails. very reasonable. been there for 8 or 10 christmas vacations, all good, cook /sled/ party.

Premium Features