• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ignition issue with PCV-PTI

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Installed my brand new PCV-PTI tonight in preparation for a custom turbo kit idea I have brewing in my mind. Super stoked to have fuel by boost, and timing control. I also installed a set of forged drop in Pistons from RK-Tek today.

However...

After I hooked everything up, primed the fuel system, and pulled the sled over a few times, there was plenty of fuel, plenty of compression, but no spark.

I rechecked my connections at the coils. Everything was hooked up correctly.

Green and white to PTO

Blue and white to the Mag

Dummy plugs to white wires...

So I unplugged the PCV coil harness from the coils, and plugged the stock harness back in. Pulled the sled over, and it lit off first pull.

So figured I screwed something up plugging the PCV ignition harness in the first go round (I didn't), and plugged everything back in step by step IAW the installation instructions.

Again...

No spark...

What gives? Am I missing something? Did I get a bum box?

The fuel side of the box is working just fine, I can dial in the A/F ratios I want, but the box does not light off the coils. : (

WTF MATE!?!

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
I was under the impression ignition control on a polaris on a sled.
With pcv didn't work. Although I understand it does on a rzr.
But I have not used either.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
After I hooked everything up, primed the fuel system, and pulled the sled over a few times, there was plenty of fuel, plenty of compression, but no spark.

I rechecked my connections at the coils. Everything was hooked up correctly.

Green and white to PTO

Blue and white to the Mag

Dummy plugs to white wires...

So I unplugged the PCV coil harness from the coils, and plugged the stock harness back in. Pulled the sled over, and it lit off first pull.

So figured I screwed something up plugging the PCV ignition harness in the first go round (I didn't), and plugged everything back in step by step IAW the installation instructions.

Again...

No spark...

What gives? Am I missing something? Did I get a bum box?

The fuel side of the box is working just fine, I can dial in the A/F ratios I want, but the box does not light off the coils. : (

WTF MATE!?!

Try sending a PM to DynojetResearch.

He's a rep. for Dynojet products who frequents these forums from time to time.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I'm assuming it'd be in the instructions but out of curiosity, is there some type of set up / programming that needs to be done prior to start up?

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
If you can hook up a 12volt source to the ecm plug above the cutch the pcv should show indicator light that it is powered up, if not getting the power that can help narrow it down, check ground for sure.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
The indicator light comes on.

The power commander works to control fuel. However there is no spark if the PCV is plugged into the coils/harness.

As soon as I hook the stock coils back up it pulls over first pull.

On the bright side, my fuel map is dialed now. Sled pulls like a champ.

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
Did you use the android phone app?

So is it true that you can only get ignition control or second injectors not both.
That's what the website implies.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Very easy to tune. I used the Autotune feature, and then manually smoothed, and integrated the trims into the fuel map from there. I have been tuning fuel injection systems for around 13 years.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
I don't have an Android device. That would have been nice though. I ride then make adjustments at the house based on the trims from the Autotune. I have some big powder fields within a mile of home.

If you wanted bigger injectors, you could run some higher flowing shorty EV1 connector injectors in place of the stock injectors, and pull fuel as appropriate based on percentage of stock sized injectors/new sized injectors with the PCV.

Since you can pull -100% fuel, you could in theory run a 100% larger injector with very little affect on how the sled runs. In theory of course. You can run into minimum injector pulse issues which can result in a poor idle if a large injector can not open long enough to inject the required amount of fuel to maintain stock idle speed.

If you needed secondary injectors, there are a variety of companies that make piggy back injector drivers for universal applications fairly inexpensively.

Turboegt,

While On a positive note, it's awesome news that your fuel control side was dialed quickly and pulls hard for you lets fix up that ignition side for ya. It appears you're very up to speed with the PCV product line and the wonderful features (such as true -100% fueling to run oversized injectors)

The part number from us here is 19-030-PTI spec'd for the CFI2 equipped machines from 2010-2016. This is Dynojet's Fuel + Ignition Controller plus pigtails out two Bosch TMAP sensors which provides constant fueling for any boost level across all elevations, weather conditions, day in and day out.
Adding the ignition control has uncovered much more capability in these engines to not only increase response, but keep the engine safe under high boost.
The advice given to check all the pins in the ECU is very wise and quite common on the small-pinned connectors, so I'm glad you've already checked those and cleaned off any residue or grease from the entire connector.
Specific to the F/I units on the Polaris, I've not only fielded a myriad of tech emails regarding swapping of the coil plugs (blue and white connections on the sled paired the PCV in/out and dummy plug locations), but installed them backwards on purpose a few times to see what happens.....and the sled would pop but be 4-stroking not sounding right. So since you've swapped those connections and had no luck, the last thing we'll check is your FW version. These units must be running 0.1.13.4 or higher to spark on the right side.
I believe I've seen your tech support email come through our ticker indicating that you're running 0.1.13.1, so I'll email you the updated file and start from there.

~T.J.

Last edited:

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
First and foremost, a big thank you for the response.

I've been pulling my hair out all weekend.

I downloaded the firmware update from the power commander website. The first thing I do is download and update firmware before I install a new fuel controller on any of my projects.

I'd love to get my hands on the most up to date firmware and give it a go.

A very big thank you.

-Turboegt

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
I got the email with the update. Thanks for the fast support gentlemen.

I'll report back with my findings.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Updated the firmware to 0.1.14.2

Lit right off second pull! Thanks a million gents.

Now that I have fuel and timing under control time to order the parts so I can start welding up my turbo kit..

Wooo!!

Big two thumbs up for for all the guys at Dynojet for helping me resolve this issue within one business day.

I really appreciate your proactive approach. Your customer service is unparalleled in the aftermarket fuel injection industry. I am used to waiting days, and even weeks to get an issue resolved.

I have dealt with many companies who just kind of blow you off, and product reps who do not know their products very well and tell you "We've never experienced this issue before, tell us what happens when you figure it out, and how you fixed it."

Which can lead to days, or weeks on end of troubleshooting wires only to find out you do in fact have bad coil driver, injector driver, or a supplied connector was pinned incorrectly from the manufacturer, or... or... or... or.

Additionally I appreciate the quality of the wiring harness you guys produce. OEM connectors, properly sized heat shrink, I can't tell if it's expanded, braided, or the high temp fiberglass loom, either way it's very nicely done.

I have received many harnesses from companies that cheap out on the split loom junk and a bit of electrical tape to keep it in place. I am not a fan of split loom, it looks like junk and becomes brittle and falls apart in a matter of months, and I end up spending $50 and several hours of my time to depin the connectors, and properly loom a harness that could have been loomed properly from the get go with minimal effort. You and 034EFI are the only ones I am aware of producing wiring harnesses like these for an off the shelf product in the sub $2000 range for plug and play engine management systems.

If you guys need a Power Commander Rep, Installer, or Product tester in the Fairbanks AK area let me know. I wouldn't be able to do it full time, as I love my day job, but I'd be happy to rep a product as high quality as yours with professional backing to accompany it.

You have made tuning too easy... Plug... Ride... View Trims... Integrate into maps as appropriate... Smooth... wash rinse repeat, and you're done in an hour or two.

I can't wait to play with the timing features this weekend.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks for the help Dave! I owe you a beer or two. Let me know if you come up north.

Premium Features