• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Rt 1000 Part 2

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
thanks gus, i guess hit the post limit for non premium, but good info, today i plan to go to 5 pounds boost to increase my rpm then clickers to get to 8000 rpm ish she should run good

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
im taking it easy, today i ran if my boost gauge is accurate, 5 pounds, or a hair under, ran fairly good, i guess i didnt pay too much attention to the rpms but mroe attention to my gauge, but when i did look breefly i think my rpms where deff 7500+ and my speed averaged 90 km/hr, which is pretty good considering how the snow was basically crusty with some fresher stuff ontop, so not really all that hard going, but she takes off like a rocket and pulls hard, i know before in powder i had like 65-70 km/hr track speed, and on the harder stuff, i think when i started to head up a hill it kind of slowed down, but i know i didnt have the sled dialed in as good as i should of, my egt's where still good, i managed to richen it up a bit, so i shaved down 50F or so overall i believe, so rather hten 1050 or near 1200, i only maxed at 1130 ish, maybe 1150

soooo heres 2 more vids, didnt take alot but she does rip decently now, some time this week i will pull off the head, check it all again, make sure no detonation, and next weekend run 5 pounds both days, and go from there, B) The blow off valve also has a pretty nice sound to it too bad the helmet cam dont pick it up really

it was also a very nice weekend, both days blue sky, not a cloud in sight, but of course i wish for some now so it will snow!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9EydbG3lG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0hExQLTlk

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
If I were you I would see if it makes rpm on clicker 6 and then make the appropriate changes from there ie. higher finish pressure on the primary spring or less pin weight. Also highly recommend the dalton arms.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
If I were you I would see if it makes rpm on clicker 6 and then make the appropriate changes from there ie. higher finish pressure on the primary spring or less pin weight. Also highly recommend the dalton arms.

i had the dalton arms, but i sold them, i bought them but sledding ended, so then came this past fall and i decided to turbo the sled, and the dalton arms would be too light, im at about 18 grams on my primary, clicker 4, 5 pounds boost but i will be going to probably 5-6, so if i went to 6, i'd be perfect, my rpm should be 8,000, my ultimate goal is 6-7 pounds boost, so at that, if i can get 6 this year i am happy, that would put me back to clicker 4 or 3

so, with the dalton arms, i cant remember, but im thinking the stock steel are 80G, the daltons are 60G? so thats 20G per arm less, it just wont work

but when you have the dalton arms for a N/A 1000, yeah it makes a good difference, but the steel arms on a turbo'd sled loaded with weight, work just as good i think because you have alot of weight at its tip now, as to before you didnt have much of any

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
ok so, good news i guess, no detonation @ 5 pounds boost, but i did forget to plug in the water temp sensor, so i really dont know if that would of changed my timing, nobody really knows for sure it would seem,

so heres pic of the wash and domes after 5 pounds, pistons have 2 rides worth of wash and domes, well before sundays ride when i had the head off saturday night that i cleaned the domes up to make them look like new again

Let me know what you guys think

P1020069.jpg

P1020068.jpg

P1020067.jpg

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Keep up the good work....much better reports than the first thread! The 'ol 2876 is working, eh?

yeah im really happy with it so far, but 1 problem i am having is i seemto be getting oil coming in on the compressor side???, my charge tube had some oil in er, but i did flip the sled over on its side, i know guys say that the turbo can spit oil past its seals when you tip them over and oil goes back into the turbo,

also i am going to have to relocate that actuator arm, its pushing up against my side panel, which is fine, but when i tipped over, 1 of the bolts which i guess the hole was already somewhat stripped, it made the actuator pop off the 1 bolt and held on by the other one, so right now i am going to try a longer bolt or have to tap it bigger

but yeah all in all its coming together i suppose :) do gotta thank everybody for the help and the info, its what makes a build come together

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
so im bringing this puppy back since i seem to have the stutter kind of figured out,...., but atleast i know what it is now so because of that it should be easy fix'n now

now that ive figured that out and its running somewhat more consistent..... i figure to start looking at clutching?

im running 7 pounds boost, Dynamo joe clutching kit.... except like 17.5 grams weight in primary, stock gearing, clicker 5 at the moment, 8,000 rpm

now im only pulling about 95 km/hr track speeds i beleive, or atleast thats the minimum i dropped to while going up this 1 hill, i started at about 110 km/hr then dropped to that 95 or so and maintained it

So my dads M8 with a can and tuned pipe, thats it, dropped tto 70km/hr or so maybe 75 km/hr on the same hill

so im wondering, if i have a cold air intake, no intercooler, and 7 pounds boost, could 1 figure 10 hp per pound of boost? atleast on this big 1000 engine? or 9?

so im thinking i'd be around 60-70 hp gain, now the question is, is how much track speed should i of gained from that hp? does it sound right?

i have a 2 wheel kit, running av gas, stock 162" 2.25 paddle track, 2876 turbo
also i heard guys putting 4 wheels in or have the 2 wheels on outside see about a 5-10 km/hr trackspeed gain???

so now i guess its the now what, as to videos i see of other guys, or sleds becoming a wild dog and wheelies and just like a rocket, well my sled goes better then it did thats for sure, but does it feel all THAT much better? no

so biggest question is, what should i be expecting for the amount of power i have added?,

could i be loosing trackspeed through my clutching? any recommendations?, thanks guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvQubDp-I4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAzG8Rcp4KM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBJM-vSYwyM

Last edited:
S
Jan 25, 2008
anchorage, AK
I don't know about adding rear wheels to increase track speed but I would recommend at least 3 if not 4 rear axle wheels on a turbo.

Some have no problems with just 2. On the other hand one of my friends has had at least one of his Apex rear wheels fail twice from rocks, stress and odd angles of impact.

Having a few more wheels in the back helps to spread out the load across all wheels. Also the ones that are not damaged act as backups in the event of a broken wheel.

After a few failures I as well as Powderlights Dave always run more than a few wheels back there.

I am also running the same turbo you have and the sled is a rocket. The 1200 and my friends Nypex are at ease climbing together.

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I don't know about adding rear wheels to increase track speed but I would recommend at least 3 if not 4 rear axle wheels on a turbo.

Some have no problems with just 2. On the other hand one of my friends has had at least one of his Apex rear wheels fail twice from rocks, stress and odd angles of impact.

Having a few more wheels in the back helps to spread out the load across all wheels. Also the ones that are not damaged act as backups in the event of a broken wheel.

After a few failures I as well as Powderlights Dave always run more than a few wheels back there.

I am also running the same turbo you have and the sled is a rocket. The 1200 and my friends Nypex are at ease climbing together.

yeah one of my fears is 1 of the wheels breaking, then im in trouble!, atleast 4 wheels, if 1 goes it dont ruin your day, you saying you have a 1200 Turbo or a 1000 turbo?

S
Jan 25, 2008
anchorage, AK
same 2876 turbo but on a different sled than you run

a 1200 4tech

my spoolup sounds very different than your videos

The turbo whine begins for me at about 13 psi. Anything less than that in boost the turbo cannot be heard over the engine. Also when I let off the throttle at high boost there is no perceptible BOV sound. I have a 38mm Tial and it does the job very well.

When riding in the trees at only part throttle and keeping in lower boost ranges my sled sounds like a big bore. There are practically no turbo sounds at all for me at 7psi even though we both run the same turbo.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
ok so, good news i guess, no detonation @ 5 pounds boost, but i did forget to plug in the water temp sensor, so i really dont know if that would of changed my timing, nobody really knows for sure it would seem

Yes it does change timing and more than that, the ECM adds extra fuel to compensate. Anytime the ECM does not recieve an input from the coolant temp sensor or if there is a compromise in the CTS circuit, the ECM changes fuel and timing to a "cold start/cold engine" status and dumps alot more fuel than if the engine is running more than 80*F.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Yes it does change timing and more than that, the ECM adds extra fuel to compensate. Anytime the ECM does not recieve an input from the coolant temp sensor or if there is a compromise in the CTS circuit, the ECM changes fuel and timing to a "cold start/cold engine" status and dumps alot more fuel than if the engine is running more than 80*F.

good to know, thanks

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
well a little update, ordered the turbosmart boost controller from vancouver in hopes to get it on friday, it shows up friday but was out of house for 5 mins, so i missed guy by literally 3 mins...., and it says i have to wait until monday (today) to pick it up, i call purolator and get told same thing, nothing they can do, blah blah got to wait till monday, so what the hells that crap, i paid EXTRA and even paid 30$ extra for it its self to have it for the weekend.... but oh well

so i put in that 23 tooth top sprocket, sled didnt seem to care at all, i have not gained track speed but i did not loose any either, 1000 sure has torque!,

So i was at about 8,000-8500 ft elevation at 5-6 pounds boost, sled went like a rocket for the most part i would say, or well it does well at elevation and witho nly 5-6 pounds boost,i had to burp throttle every bit to cool down temps a bit because the fuel controller is max'd so it will have to be adjusted,

next weekend she will be seeing 7-8 pounds boost

anyways heres some footage, made a vid with out music for those who just dont like snowmobilin vids with music!

what a awsome day it was

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvO4hUTQLNM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3g382R_2g w/o music

GOPR1328.jpg

GOPR1336.jpg

GOPR1337.jpg

GOPR1347.jpg

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Wow, that is a far cry better than earlier this winter! Sounds pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, she went better on saturday going out this past weekend, i had a boost controller, nad i only went "5 clicks" to increase boost, but on boost gauge it dont look like it increased much, maybe .5 of a pound? and all the sudden i was hitting my rev limiter, i went from clicker 5 on primary to clicker 1 which put it at 8,000 rpm which is where i wanted to be, so much for that 8 pounds boost this spring, i'll have to order a heavier weight kit and i dont feel like spending more money, + i may go out another 1-2 more times and maybe just call it off after that, so not worth the trouble

but she goes good now, thats for sure, and when i went to clicker 1 and stuff its like my egt's cooled down, went up some hills that i'd be burping a couple times becuase i'd be at 1340F on egt's but went up them and hit max fo 1250 and did not burp once, so not sure whats going on but its like somebody flipped a switch all the sudden for the better :)

Premium Features