• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cracked gas tank

B
Aug 24, 2014
ive got an 09 m8 with a cracked gas tank up by the filler neck. i was reading online theres a recall for this. is the recall still effective? i called the local dealer and he said no it wasnt only on 10 and newer.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
They are aware that it is happening. There was a limited recall and I think it was on the 2010-2011 models if I remember right. At this time, it is very unlikely they will cover it.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I have an 09 M1000, I am picking up a new tank tomorrow that cat is covering(no labor), I have to provide the neck and the tank ID that's on the bottom( just cut those portions out of tank). Once the dealer has this info the tank is covered. I would find another long time established cat dealer.

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
2011 Arctic Cat M8 SnoPro Fuel Tank Crack

I have a 2011 Arctic Cat M8 that has a crack on the bottom of the fuel tank neck. The Snowmobile has always been stored indoors. What is the best way to request possible help from Arctic Cat?

zr870

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2014
I have a 2011 Arctic Cat M8 that has a crack on the bottom of the fuel tank neck. The Snowmobile has always been stored indoors. What is the best way to request possible help from Arctic Cat?
This is a safety issue and Cat should cover it.....take a pic of your mileage and pic of the tank crack and ask your dealer to submit for warranty.....I just had my 09 Z1 Turbo tank approved for replacement due to cracking around the fuel pump neck....

B
Dec 3, 2003
Cashmere, WA
I guess I'm one of the unfortunate ones because none of the dealers within 100 miles from me, nor Arctic Cat directly would cover my tank. My local dealer no longer carries Cat, so I had to look at other dealers. None would give me the time of day, so I emailed Cat directly. They said there was no recalls on my VIN other than a reflash of the ECU. From talking with them, there was no recall on the newer M series gas tanks, but yet, some people here say there is a recall. Either way, I had to pay out of pocket for my tank. This all took place around a month or so ago.

B
Dec 3, 2003
Cashmere, WA

I would take it to a dealer and see if they can do something. My dealers wouldn't and I went directly to Cat, and they did nothing either. I ended up getting a new tank from Eric at Racin Station. From what I understand, it's the pressure in the tank when it's stored, especially if your summers are warm. The cap doesn't vent enough and it cracks the weak part, which is the neck. I store my sled with a full tank of gas.

S
Dec 30, 2011
Hooper, Utah
ive got an 09 m8 with a cracked gas tank up by the filler neck. i was reading online theres a recall for this. is the recall still effective? i called the local dealer and he said no it wasnt only on 10 and newer.

I also have a 09 m8. And just had my tank replaced, got it back yesterday. Arctic cat covered the tank and the labor. I did have to call a couple of dealers to find one who would help me. A good dealer will help you out.

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
2011 Arctic Cat M8 SnoPro Fuel Tank Crack

Robb Hilbert and Advanced RV gave a call to Arctic Cat and helped me out. Arctic Cat covered both parts and labor. Thanks to Robb Hilbert ,Advanced RV and Arctic Cat for going the extra mile for me :)

B
Dec 3, 2003
Cashmere, WA
Well, that tells me that the two dealers that are 2.5 hours from me, which are the closest ones, didn't want to deal with me on this. I'm bummed that my local dealer doesn't carry Cat anymore and I'm bummed even more that I can't find anyone within 2.5 hours to help me out. I guess I know who not to do business with.

Premium Features