• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Remake of the snow scoot and other small sleds??

T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
So I came across this company (FMC Motor Co.) while researching sleds for my 3 year old. I've been trying to find him a sno scoot for months but haven't had any luck in the west (looks like they're pretty easy to find on the east coast or even mid west). Anyway I know these are Chinese and they are probably crap but they look awesome for kids. Looks like they completely ripped off the sno scoot too lol. They're 150 sled is pretty much identical. They've also got 80cc, 250cc, 300cc sleds and so on...

Why the hell aren't any U.S. companies producing rider forward sled for kids? I mean you can buy a dirtbike for just about any age and size. I know they wouldn't be big money makers for the OEMs but those kids are going to grow up and grow the sport.

What are your thoughts on going with something like this? Chinese crap but maybe you could modify them with US parts. I mean atleast the rider forward platform would be there...

http://snowmobile.en.ecplaza.net/snowmobile-150cc--310589-2410847.html

Last edited:
T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Pretty much what I've gathered is the Phantom is almost a direct rip off from Premier. I've read that he sent his designs off to China to have them produced and they basically started their own company from the design. With that being said every one that I have seen posts from that own the Phantom are pretty dang unhappy with the quality. Lots of info on it now that I know what I'm looking for.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Dealers?

Does anybody know if there are dealers for these things out here in the West anywhere?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
CHRIS BELL - PREMIER PERFORMANCE

I spoke with Chris Bell of Premier around this time last year. He is based out of central Michigan.

It is a Chinese sled to begin with, but it seems like he has the better product with a rear suspension built by F.A.S.T. (Karpik brothers, M-10 fame) and other nice features such as electric start and gas shocks.

However, he was still waiting for E.P.A. /Government approval before he could sell these sleds, and last I heard, was still waiting.

If anyone has any facts/updates, please post

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
340 POLARIS

I have had my Eye on these for a couple years now for my Son. Staying away from them now and getting him trained up on the Indy 340 which is MINT.
This one came up for sale last year pretty close to my Home area.
They havent done much to improve the quality it looks like. This guy isnt too happy!

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...les-PHANTOM-250cc-4-Stroke-W0QQAdIdZ534977320

I ended up going the 340 POLARIS route as well

here's the link to the build

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332505

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
2002 POLARIS 340 FOR SALE on E-BAY

F.Y.I.

There's a super clean only 766 mile 2002 POLARIS 340 for sale on EBay

Last bid was around $ 1,700

Another 2002 POLARIS 340 popped up on www.johndee.com

Last edited:
O
Aug 22, 2009
Littleton
I traded emails with Premier within the last two months. They are currently done producing for the year. He could have squeezed us into production but we have to 4-6 units at about $5600 each unit drop shipped to the house.
I'm like everyone else here I sent the 340 Indy Lite into the shop for tuning and punch list should be cheaper than their sled. Not knocking them. They look like a great niche product. I would feel more comfortable if there was a dealer here in Colorado.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Wellers

Oh wow, that is good to know that Wellers is a dealer. I will actually be up there just next week, so I'll be sure to pick their brains on it. I'l report back on what I get.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
So no name Chinese cr@p 3/4 size sleds cost $5k?
I wonder why there isn't a bigger market for them?:crazy:
I got less than that into 2 nice air cooled machines, long tracked, low miles ready to rip, can buy parts at the local dealer or anywhere online easily AND an aluminum expandable sled deck to haul them on!
OR about the same $ I gave for a near new M7 a few years back!

I agree there would be a good market for "meduim" sized machines from the REAL sled mfgs. Look at the Doo Freestyle. They only made them for a few years and they still sell like they are gold plated.\

But I'm thinking even a bit smaller than a Freestyle. Kinda Like the newer Phazers (except NOT 500lbs), 14" track, narrow tunnel that short folks (kids) can ride comfortably, little 1 or 2 lung fan cooled motors. No hydraulic brakes, no fancy guages, no $500 hi tech hoods and side panels. Just a tub, tunnel, speedo, headlight and hand warmers. Lose all the bull chit extra plastics, fancy tail lights, etc. BUT made with OE parts for some durability and availability.

IMO sled mfgs are screwing the pooch on this one and have been for a long time. No it's not going to increase their profit margins, but build an economical 3/4 sized sled with last years technology to get more kids and beginners into the sport. I can't be the only one who'd buy one (not now, just built 2 kids' sleds). Sell them at half the price of a full size 550 type sled and you'll get buyers. Bet they wouldn't lose a dime on them, at least not for 5+ years until the market gets saturated with them.

Last edited:

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
The sled Mfgs are being short sited. They need to build a small sled that will go off trail in the deep. I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old and I would be buying if they made it. I have talked with Polaris people at the shows and all I here is there is no money in it. The only way to get future buyers is to have them ridding when they are young. All the dirt bikes and four wheelers come in all sizes and if they don't make much on the small ones they do make it on the mom and dad size products. Kids cant go riding by themselves. Just keep it simple, fan cooled, light weight, cable brake, no frills. You know kind of like the Indy lite only just a little smaller. Hand and thumb warmers should be all the extras needed. The engineering from a full size sled is already there, just reduce the dimensions. Many of the existing parts could also be used, 128"/136" rails would be perfect for a long track kids sled, tracks could be narrowed an inch, skid parts just need to be made a little narrower, etc. They can sell a 120 for $2500, I would think that some where between $2500 and $7000 they charge for a 550 they could build a 3/4 size sled. I also will be going down the Indy lite mod sled road so I can still bust some powder and make it a family thing, even though it is still a larger, and heavier sled than I would like to put my kids on. I hope you are reading this Polaris cause you could have sold me two more sleds if you would just make them.

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
I never saw one in person.

Really that bad??????

What specifically , or was it everything????

Supposedly it was a proto or something two teenagers were messing with it because it wouldn't start and then somebody came and hauled it away.

I feel bad for Premier, I am sure it started out as a great idea, and then once he was committed so far he had no choice but to make them - maybe if they were made in Korea like the 120 sleds, they would be great - but everything about them was junk. You would be better off buying a 1980 Yamaha 250 Enticer, I totally believe the guys ad that has one for sale - not in the least bit a nice machine.

I would mod the 120 or build a Phazer or something like that.

Premium Features