• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CMX track

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I put a CMX track on my KTM SXF 520 big bore. I also had them put a 6th gear in it. Excited to try it this weekend. Track looks similar to the Camso DTS track but better. It fit easily in my Yeti 16.5 skid. Best part of the Camso DTS 129 was the track so I am expecting stellar results.

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
I noticed from some of your other posts we are running the exact same bike, big bore, ecu and kit. I'm looking at doing the CMX as well. Please report your findings. I added the 6 speed last year. It is great for making time on the trail. You likely have the same configuration I do. You will find that on the way up the trail, after about 6,000ft, when you are down on a little hp the gear will be a little too tall. I run 6th gear pinned all the way to 6000' and don't use it much after unless there are flat sections. The way down is 6th pinned all the way with a little help from good old gravity. A lot of guys hate riding the trail. It's not my favorite part of the day but as long as it isn't icy or too whooped out I have a blast. Especially rippn past the sleds that always say the bikes suck on the trail.

El Gringo

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2010
Calgary Alberta
I too am very interested to hear how you like the new track, I have a 16.5 129 Yeti and am not loving the Maxtrack 1 and don't think the Maxtrack 2 is different enough to justify the cost to replace. I'm sure that CMX track is great in packed and crusty snow, but want to know how it works in powder. Let's hope we get some to play in soon!!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Not sure either so far. I was in some deep stuff today but I broke both shock mounts in my skid somehow which sent me limping back to the trailer. Jury is still out as a result. I will get the damn thing right. I just hope it is not an all season endeavor.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Not sure either so far. I was in some deep stuff today but I broke both shock mounts in my skid somehow which sent me limping back to the trailer. Jury is still out as a result. I will get the damn thing right. I just hope it is not an all season endeavor.

Hopefully camso helps you out with that.

(Titanium does weaken through vibration and impacts)
Especially if there was even 100-120 degrees too much heat introduced during the welding process.

Look very close at any weld in titanium and beware any weld that has signs of mechanically removing color from the weld or surrounding area. (Brushing soda blasting or similar)

Alternatively you may have just reached the reasonable life span of the titanium part/ weld. (Always very short)

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Yeah. We surmised that the titanium bolts broke due to them being more brittle. The front skid shock lower shaft broke too. Not sure if it is also titanium. I run my shocks stiff but, at 65, I don't get the bike in the air often. It happens but not as a rule. I kind of hope that they can use steel bolts when it is repaired. It was a bummer though. It cut my day short and made evaluating the CMX track impossible. I got stuck 4 times and now I know why. With the suspension broken, there was no way that it could climb, sidehill, etc.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I got out on my yeti 137 with CMX track yesterday. Conditions were a mix of refrozen crap, and deep powder conditions. I cut the CMX track to 11" wide hoping for a little more manuverability. This track hooks up! When in another track or hard snow it is the opposite of a maxtrack. Just hooks up and pulls! Maxtracks always spin alot and create a feeling of a free reving motor. The CMX almost feels like a flywheel weight of traction control. Bike spools up slower but pulls harder. The tracks weighed exactly the same after I trimmed the CMX to 11", so I am attributing this feeling to the increase in traction. In deep snow it felt like it worked good, might trench a little more than a stock yeti on takeoff, but when pointing it up bigger hills it really impressed me. I will be adding my Wingman with ninja backup kit nextweek, that should offset the traction control feeling!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I hope to have mine back out soon so I can see how it really works (without a broken suspension hampering it). Last week was a bust and left me not knowing if the track is better in deep snow. We have 12" of new snow in the backcountry since 5:00 PM yesterday and it is still snowing. If Yeti/Camso got the parts to Carl's, I should be able to go. I am not very impressed with the Yeti customer service from Camso so far. They are not very responsive. They want forms and photos, etc. Big company impersonal so far.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I hope to have mine back out soon so I can see how it really works (without a broken suspension hampering it). Last week was a bust and left me not knowing if the track is better in deep snow. We have 12" of new snow in the backcountry since 5:00 PM yesterday and it is still snowing. If Yeti/Camso got the parts to Carl's, I should be able to go. I am not very impressed with the Yeti customer service from Camso so far. They are not very responsive. They want forms and photos, etc. Big company impersonal so far.

Yea, as far as CS goes its not nearly as good as C3. However, I think the guys are trying, they just dont know the product line. Thats the biggest issue with the motorsports industry IMHO. Guys you want selling you parts and service want to ride, and they typically cant afford to with the shop income, so they go into other trades to foot the bill for the expensive sports we all enjoy. You will enjoy the CMX track. On a 129 it will be great. 137 you will want more HP!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I put a CMX track on my KTM SXF 520 big bore. I also had them put a 6th gear in it. Excited to try it this weekend. Track looks similar to the Camso DTS track but better. It fit easily in my Yeti 16.5 skid. Best part of the Camso DTS 129 was the track so I am expecting stellar results.

The new CMX track is same as what happened when we tossed a 3 inch on a sled, Hugh hook up and it climbs.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So got out again today. 2-4 feet on a gnarly hard layer. I was stoked with performance , however I did experience trenching that was not present with the Maxtrack equipped bikes. In the trees where the snow is more setup my CMX track grips and rips. Accelerates really hard, but I was sawing through the layer at times and having sticks that required a shovel and two gents to resolve. Probably just conditions and rider error. Yeti 137 is a amazing setup! We r riding stuff that just keeps blowing my mind. Did break a front ski today though. No impact, just a hard downhill turn with the power on and the bike dove and didnt come back up.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
My bike's trail manners are good. I have a revalved Raptor RSS shock with a 400 lb. heavier spring. I also run my Fox Floats with quite a bit more air than what the manual says. With gear on, I am probably pushing 250 lbs. so the additional air works. The ride is not too stiff and almost never bottoms out now. I think that I have found the sweet spot. I can go fast on whooped out trails without any weird bucking/coupling issues like I had last year with the stock RSS shock and lower air pressure in the Floats. Now if I can properly evaluate the CMX track this weekend, I will be happy. I kept my MaxTrack II track for now just in case I don't like the CMX. It is for sale in the swap meet section though.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I too am very interested to hear how you like the new track, I have a 16.5 129 Yeti and am not loving the Maxtrack 1 and don't think the Maxtrack 2 is different enough to justify the cost to replace. I'm sure that CMX track is great in packed and crusty snow, but want to know how it works in powder. Let's hope we get some to play in soon!!

Rode deep fresh powder yesterday. had 3 CMX bikes , all new 450 KTM,s . Two with the new track and one with Maxtrak 2. I pulled a climb up steep technical and the one with the maxtrak could not make it after several attempts and he was even in my tracks, The new Track Rocks!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Good to hear that report. I should get mine back before the weekend. What kits were you running on the KTMs? What length tracks? Yeti/Camso dropped the ball on getting parts to my dealer. They called them and the parts are being sent overnight. They will use good steel bolts to attach the shock shafts instead of the fragile, brittle titanium. Cheaper and way more durable for a few grams of weight penalty over titanium.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Good to hear that report. I should get mine back before the weekend. What kits were you running on the KTMs? What length tracks? Yeti/Camso dropped the ball on getting parts to my dealer. They called them and the parts are being sent overnight. They will use good steel bolts to attach the shock shafts instead of the fragile, brittle titanium. Cheaper and way more durable for a few grams of weight penalty over titanium.

running CMX, It is a dedicated deep snow kit

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
running CMX, It is a dedicated deep snow kit

Yeah, I read your post again and realized that you were on CMX kits. I like that kit a lot. Having the belt drive on the right side is a better solution in my opinion. For now, I will stick with my Yeti 129 but a CMX might be in my future. My only concern is that no one in the Boise area has them and there is no dealer support.

Premium Features