• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Towing with a cummins

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
You guys need to look around before you through the bs flag out, there is lots of time slips, lots of dyno graphs and lots of people running the spartan tunes, all getting 500+ at the rear wheels and 1100 trq at the rear wheels with lots of miles with just a tune, intake and pipe. Sorry boys but the new 6.4 is for real!:D

:p
The problem is nobody wants to believe it. They want video. I can give links out till I am blue in the face of slips, but that's not good enough. Oh well.

I will have to give Moonlight a call and see if he has one. I didnt see it the last time I was there, but thats been a year or two now....

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
:p
The problem is nobody wants to believe it. They want video. I can give links out till I am blue in the face of slips, but that's not good enough. Oh well.

I will have to give Moonlight a call and see if he has one. I didnt see it the last time I was there, but thats been a year or two now....

im 100% sure they do.

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
I guess lets just say, i would have to be there and see a stock 6.4 run , then install a programmer, intake and a chunk of exhaust tubing, (AND NOTHING ELSE) and THEN put down 500+ at the drums. Ill believe it, but i woudl have to personally see it. I've done A LOT of work to my cummins to be where im at....and this is hard to believe...

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
I guess lets just say, i would have to be there and see a stock 6.4 run , then install a programmer, intake and a chunk of exhaust tubing, (AND NOTHING ELSE) and THEN put down 500+ at the drums. Ill believe it, but i woudl have to personally see it. I've done A LOT of work to my cummins to be where im at....and this is hard to believe...

My thoughts exactly

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
Man O Man, The more I read this thread the more I LOVE my 97 12v! Let's see.....One 12v P-pump engine, 5spd tranny with 13" south Bend clutch, Hex Turbo, 100hp DDP injectors, Fuel Plate, Intake/Exast 4.10 gears 35" toyo MT,s NO COMPUTER Just hit
180,000 miles pulls hard all day long and still gets Good Milage. Makes you wonder, Is a "New" truck a better truck? Just my .02

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
spartan race tune that makes 275hp!!!!!:eek:

But first, how in the heck do the stock injectors flow enough?

Second, the 6.4 makes what 350hp, then add the 275 that 625 total. Take into consideration 18% drivetrain loss. Which maybe on the conservative side. 625x.18=112.5 625-112.5=512.5 at the rear wheels. No way stacks gain 27hp at the rear tires. There has to be more to those trucks that we dont know. Unless those where vids of someones truck on here that could verify what mods.

Now dont take this as a flame. Just thinking out loud. I dont own a diesel nevermind a 6.4. Just trying to get things figuared out. I can see maybe, and a big maybe with the spartan race tune you could get 500hp. However the very first time you drop the go peddal. You will be picking up bits and pieces off the ground.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfZWsje-mPc

450hp and 830tq, and it even has bigger injectors

First of all he was running a sct tune, they didnt even have a 275 tune when that video was released nor do they now, innovative does but they are having fuel rail pressure issues. Spartan is for real, i have ridden in one that has a 275 and there is no comparison to another truck with just a tune, it rallies. Look around at dieselgarage, powerstroke.org, etc, etc, there is lots of people putting down 500+ hp with 15, 20k miles with stock trannies. Im not saying they will never break a tranny but its holding up very very well especiallly at that power level. No fuel pumps are needed unless moving past 275hp levels, at that level they are maxed out but working great. Like i said, these trucks are for real and as time passes people will see that, mostly the cummins guys dont believe it but they will the more they get beat, lol.

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
First of all he was running a sct tune, they didnt even have a 275 tune when that video was released nor do they now, innovative does but they are having fuel rail pressure issues. Spartan is for real, i have ridden in one that has a 275 and there is no comparison to another truck with just a tune, it rallies. Look around at dieselgarage, powerstroke.org, etc, etc, there is lots of people putting down 500+ hp with 15, 20k miles with stock trannies. Im not saying they will never break a tranny but its holding up very very well especiallly at that power level. No fuel pumps are needed unless moving past 275hp levels, at that level they are maxed out but working great. Like i said, these trucks are for real and as time passes people will see that, mostly the cummins guys dont believe it but they will the more they get beat, lol.

Like I said I have no personal experience with diesels. It just crazy that one tune and you have 500hp at the rear wheels. It will be very interesting to see how the trannys' hold up to that kind of power.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Well the 6.4 IS a V8 and has that extra turbo deal lol.. Ford should have been making big power a long time ago..

Would it last as long as the Cummins? Time will tell.

I more than anyone on here wants the new fords to accel because i want a new F250, the bastards drive WAY too nice and look too good lifted.

Get the truck Nick..

Last edited:
G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I don't see why you can't make 500 hp with some tune.

An 04.5 Cummins with a Smarty stacked with TS box will make 500 hp.

So an 08 Powerstroke with DPF delete, a tune and twin turbos, I would hope it could make over 500 hp!

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I don't see why you can't make 500 hp with some tune.

An 04.5 Cummins with a Smarty stacked with TS box will make 500 hp.

So an 08 Powerstroke with DPF delete, a tune and twin turbos, I would hope it could make over 500 hp!

Well the problem with the Dodges is they run out of fuel. So you could get a good spike on a dyno to 500, but will not sustain. Lift pumps solve that issue, but they are needed.
The 6.4 is running right up to around 600hp with mods when it runs out of fuel. The problem right now with the 6.4, nobody has any way of getting more fuel. Dual CP3's are said to be on the way, but I have been hearing that for a while. Once they are here, it could get interesting.

And just FYI, I think we are off winter blend, as my mileage is around the 16-17 range. I will fill up the first of the week and get a full tank it and see where it lands. But it is doing lots better with the warmer temps.

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
Well the 6.4 IS a V8 and has that extra turbo deal lol.. Ford should have been making big power a long time ago..

Would it last as long as the Cummins? Time will tell.

I more than anyone on here wants the new fords to accel because i want a new F250, the bastards drive WAY too nice and look too good lifted.

Get the truck Nick..

I hope to, I am not going to settle for anything less then what I want. I really like the truck I have so i dont want to get rid of it for something that I wont be equally happy with, ya know? Besides this will give me more time to save for the mods LOL

S

skooter

Dec 11, 2007
Montana
pull with 08 f350 6.4 only get 7 mpg most of the time :eek: looked into dpf deleate but would void warranty on engine love the truck though.older diesels without all emmision control better mpg:confused:

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
yeah and you get a blown tranny and 3 miles per gallon

Wrong.

Come on dude, we all know that "real truck" and "ford diesel" should never be used in the same sentance. Unless it goes something like this: "I was driving down the road in my Ford when i got my a$$ kicked by a real diesel." :D

Typical Cummings owner

The last good diesel that came in a ford was the 7.3. The last good diesel that came in a dodge was the 5.9. GM, well???? They build a nice halfer.

Wrong.

I still haven't seen any 6.4 drag strip videos that actually show the times, or any dyno videos.

Must not be lookin very hard.

just makes it a little hard to believe any of it without some decent proof.. I bet they're fast, but in the 13s and 500+ without good proof is hard to believe.

Head over to Powerstrokenation.com, lots of vids and timeslips backed by numerous people and companies. Several owners runnin low 13's on a tuner, intake and exhuats. Got a guy pushin high 12.9's in one.

To the OP. If you get a Cummings and throw a tuner on it, I would go with a Smarty like stated before. They are the least prone to induce the lucky number 6 cylinder meltdown that is a common plague of tuned CR 5.9's.

Cowboy Steve

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa

While it may be hard to believe, you better start :D

I feel the same way, it took alot of time and money to get to where Im at with my 7.3 and now for a an 1/8th of the cost of my build, a guy can throw down a consistent 530-550rwhp.

Cowboy Steve

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
Wrong.

Typical Cummings owner

Wrong.

Must not be lookin very hard.

Head over to Powerstrokenation.com, lots of vids and timeslips backed by numerous people and companies. Several owners runnin low 13's on a tuner, intake and exhuats. Got a guy pushin high 12.9's in one.

To the OP. If you get a Cummings and throw a tuner on it, I would go with a Smarty like stated before. They are the least prone to induce the lucky number 6 cylinder meltdown that is a common plague of tuned CR 5.9's.

Cowboy Steve
I only see lots of posts about low 500s, no videos of them drag racing and actually showing the time on the board... searched on there, searched on youtube. So this stuff must be pretty hidden cause I've searched all over.. maybe post some proof instead of just saying "go search here".

I guess I should go search all over for this plagued #6 cylinder meltdown as well.. not nearly as common as you make it seem.

and why the G? no one called it a cummings in this thread.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
I hope to, I am not going to settle for anything less then what I want. I really like the truck I have so i dont want to get rid of it for something that I wont be equally happy with, ya know? Besides this will give me more time to save for the mods LOL
Ya for sure, plus going from that hemi is gonna make the 5.9 feel like a slug lol, i feel that way going from my rustang too it, but the flat power grows on you as you start driving round town never getting over 2000rpm. I would test drive em!! Or go with the 12v...

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
I only see lots of posts about low 500s, no videos of them drag racing and actually showing the time on the board... searched on there, searched on youtube. So this stuff must be pretty hidden cause I've searched all over.. maybe post some proof instead of just saying "go search here".

Go over there, sign up as a member and make a post in the 6.4 aftermarket & performance section. I know of two that will drop in right away and show you vids, timeslips, and dyno graphs

I guess I should go search all over for this plagued #6 cylinder meltdown as well.. not nearly as common as you make it seem.

This is a very common problem in the CR's with tuners or fuel, never really heard it happening on a stocker. Regardless, the 6th cylinder gets the crap end of the deal, it gets the hottest coolant, the hottest fuel, and the warmest oil. Over time and sometimes even right away, the 6th cylinder meltsdown. Search any CR forum and ask. Im not labeling them as junk, but just warning the OP of the potential risk as there are with any motor over stock power levels.

and why the G? no one called it a cummings in this thread.

A harmless poke at a Cummins friend who prowls these boards who also frequents PowerstrokeNation.com

Serious though, stop by the Nation and post up. I promise you the info is there.

Cowboy Steve

Premium Features