• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float 2 vs. Fox Float X EVOL ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Fox Factory upgrade kit deals with the air volume spike related issues in a better manner then other options.
If you need extra volume for your front ski shocks, the other options available are definately a viable and reasonable way to go. Does that help answer your question or statement?

I guess what I am trying to understand is this.

Is the end result of using the upgrade kit from FOX the SAME as having just bought the new EVOL shocks in the first place.??
Or is there some detriment to having upgraded the Float 2s ?

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
I guess what I am trying to understand is this.

Is the end result of using the upgrade kit from FOX the SAME as having just bought the new EVOL shocks in the first place.??
Or is there some detriment to having upgraded the Float 2s ?

The end result would be very close, Yes.
The R Evol has the additional rebound adjustment capability. If you can use that technology, then get the R Evol. If you are simply looking to upgrade the Float 2 shock, then get the Evol upgrade.
If you are looking to buy, I would have to lean towards the R Evol, assuming the money isn't a problem.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
To help decipher some of the information you might be seeking for your purchase, here is a brief desription.

Float 2 / This is a second generation air shock, that primarily addressed all of the issues that some of the above posts list. All of the internal parts were changed from previous Float designs.
These changes were promted from feedback from consumers directly to the engineers at Fox. This is basically an entry level type shock that is typically lighter weight then most coil overs, and still offers more adjustability then a standard shock.

Float R Evol / This shock also recieved all of the internal new parts that the Float 2 did, plus it added external rebound adjustment, as well as a secondary air chamber. This secondary air chamber helped create a more linear spring rate transition through the stroke of the shock shaft. Basically it allowed lower main chamber air pressures for better slow bump use, but still allowed it to ramp up the final spring rate in the last 1-2" of travel. Though from a technical point you can not use the rebound to assist or move the compression dampening, it nontheless has a small effect on compression dampening, and can definately be used for tuning purposes as long as you have a good understanding of its effects.
Also note; for all of the add on air chambers, there is no way to properly address a serious spike or ramp up between the main chamber and add on reservoir due to the size or oulet of where the schrader valve is located. It is like putting a 1/2" hose on a 1/4" oulet and expecting to see a large increase in volume. For the Evol chamber this port has been engineered to accept the larger flow capacity.

The Float X Evol / currently the best (though probably most misunderstood) shock on the market. Why? Because it a complex shock, and potentially more durable. For all of the posts that list its negative attributes, you may want to look at what has happened on the ATV market in regards to pro racing. All of the major winners are using this shock in a lot more rugged or demanding enviroment then snowmbiling. The combination of the adjustability (over 500 external adjustments used in combination with air pressure adjustmments), as well as the length of performance this shock delivers are part of the reason. (Did anyone look to see what was on the suspensions of the winners at the X games this year? Differnet brands, same shocks!
With the amount of adjustments this is where consumers can get turned around, and for lack of better understanding they either stop using them and or they sell them. With dual speed compresion dampening as well as rebound dampening, an individual can get lost trying to make the shocks perform the way you were expecting.
If you do not like to tinker with your suspension I would never consider purchasing a set of Float X Evols. You would be wasting your money. But....... if you do; then welcome to a whole new world of suspension tuning that really can externally cover almost every situation gravity can throw at your sled. Oh yeah, you may find your riding ability improving as well.
Hope this helps.

Tom

so you think the new shocks wont have issues with elevation change thats the biggest issue i had, never rode one that didnt have the same issue oh & i like ajustments more things to play with:face-icon-small-win.i dont mind setting up my shocks but not 2 to 3 times a day thats why i sold mine. iam guessing this is you http://www.shoptomssnowmobile.com/shock_info.htm

wow 1500$ for the evol x:doh::scared:

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
so you think the new shocks wont have issues with elevation change thats the biggest issue i had, never rode one that didnt have the same issue oh & i like ajustments more things to play with:face-icon-small-win.i dont mind setting up my shocks but not 2 to 3 times a day thats why i sold mine. iam guessing this is you http://www.shoptomssnowmobile.com/shock_info.htm

wow 1500$ for the evol x:doh::scared:

IMHO,I think the elevational issues you may be talking about are minimal at best. We have ridden from 7,000- 11,500 and not experienced any sustantial gain or loss. If you could honestly feel the 1 -2 lb increase, you are definately tuned into your suspension. Same thing for temp. changes; you will need at least a 50 degree temp change to really begin to sense a change in your suspension.
I think it is a good argument for those who do not see the benefits of air shocks for sleds, but we could offer discussions on the overall performance issues that are associated with open shafts on coil over shocks as well. It just depends on where you want to point the microscope.
Yes we are Tom's Swmobile & Service. We service all types of shocks, regardless of brand or snowmobile.

Sometimes you have to pay for quality product!!! (besides, that is suggested pricing.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
IMHO,I think the elevational issues you may be talking about are minimal at best. We have ridden from 7,000- 11,500 and not experienced any sustantial gain or loss. If you could honestly feel the 1 -2 lb increase, you are definately tuned into your suspension. Same thing for temp. changes; you will need at least a 50 degree temp change to really begin to sense a change in your suspension.
I think it is a good argument for those who do not see the benefits of air shocks for sleds, but we could offer discussions on the overall performance issues that are associated with open shafts on coil over shocks as well. It just depends on where you want to point the microscope.
Yes we are Tom's Swmobile & Service. We service all types of shocks, regardless of brand or snowmobile.

Sometimes you have to pay for quality product!!! (besides, that is suggested pricing.

thanks for the info ,yes suspension is something i notice,allot of people dont realize that a proper setup suspension will make you a better rider.i start at 0ft elevation & ride up to 6000FT.iam definitely not ragging on the floats just telling my experience with them,thanks for the knowledgeable input if you dont learn something new everyday you dont get any better.:thumb::beer;

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
thanks for the info ,yes suspension is something i notice,allot of people dont realize that a proper setup suspension will make you a better rider.i start at 0ft elevation & ride up to 6000FT.iam definitely not ragging on the floats just telling my experience with them,thanks for the knowledgeable input if you dont learn something new everyday you dont get any better.:thumb::beer;

So true, how many do not take the time to get their suspension dialed in, miss the opportunity to experience a better ride suited for them, and or their particular riding style.
Floats have come a long way since they were first used back in 2003.The airshock technology continues to get better, offering improvements in ride quality.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
From doing a lot of reading all over Snowest this winter for me it came down to the Evol X. I felt like I could dial those in a bunch better and it's a fun process to work on. Christopher since your kind of a tech weeny like me :face-icon-small-win I think you will like the Evol X and you'll like setting them up.

I would assume that the X will work with the new Skinz front end just fine?

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
"Dialed in".

The dream.

I am still trying to find that perfect combination of pressures...

Have you "bracketed" your air pressure range?
On Float X Evols with DSC (dual speed compression), are you using the hi speed compression for "big drops" or for how fast you are traveling?
Slow down, take the time to comprehend what your different settings do for your sled in different situations.

Tom

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have played with the front end quite a bit and am still not certain its right.

But the backend is way off.

Bottoms out every time I catch air.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
I have played with the front end quite a bit and am still not certain its right.

But the backend is way off.

Bottoms out every time I catch air.

Chris,

You can phone me if you would like to discuss options for you. If you need help bracketing your air pressures, we can help with that as well.

Toms Snowmobile & Service / 530-862-1128 / Ext 13

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK, I am game to the methodical approach.
Care to outline that for the benefit of all the other members as well as me?

T

Trax 2 Treadz

May 14, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
www.trax2treadz.com
From doing a lot of reading all over Snowest this winter for me it came down to the Evol X. I felt like I could dial those in a bunch better and it's a fun process to work on. Christopher since your kind of a tech weeny like me :face-icon-small-win I think you will like the Evol X and you'll like setting them up.

I would assume that the X will work with the new Skinz front end just fine?

The X will not currently work with the new Skinz suspension. Seems there is a slight fit problem.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
OK, I am game to the methodical approach.
Care to outline that for the benefit of all the other members as well as me?

Sure, no problem.
To recap; everyone understands that you typically have an understanding that the main chamber controls sag and or ride height, up to the first 80% of travel. This measurement can be a rider preference, meaning some people will like sag and some will not.
The Evol chamber would control the last 1-2" of suspension travel.

To start with, you use what you have a recommended settings, or what you currently have found works ok for you.
Based on what you are trying to improve, the first part of travel, ( main chamber), or the bottom out, (Evol chamber), you make your adjustments.

Main chamber; start with 5 lb increments, keeping in mind that you will lose 1-2 psi of air when you disconnect, and up to 5 psi when you reconnect your pump. If you continue in this manner you should reach a threshold of rider comfort. Ex; Yamaha / you start with say 80psi main chamber/ increase by 5psi = better / increase by 5 more = better / increase by 5 more = better / increase by 5 more ride quality suffers. you now have a bracket to work from; 100psi was too much, but 95psi felt good. You should be able to find an ideal comfort zone in that range.

Evol chamber; duplicate the same scenario as the main chamber but do it in 10 psi increments.

A critical point to remember in all of this is, that by increasing main chamber you will have an effect on the Evol chamber finished pressure, so both must be checked while you are doing your testing. Like wise, an increase in Evol pressure will increase main chamber pressure.

Typically rebound adjustments (red, hand adjustable knob) are set in a neutral or middle setting; 22 overall adjustments = 11 as a starting point. For snocross type applications and or big drops you may want to increase rebound adjustment in 3-5 adjustments. Obviously adjusting out will give you faster rebound speed of the shock shaft. Some freestyle riders doing the great big drops do prefer faster rebound.

Compression adjustments

Lo speed; (small screwdriver adjustment) 22 overall adjustments, is for small stutter type bumps/ typically run these light or out as well unless you are doing snocross type riding.

High speed; (18 mm wrench), 22 overall adjustments, is for really big drops. This one needs to be run out as far as possible unless you are doing cornice and or serious rock drops only.

Do you need more in depth information then this?

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Concept_Evol_X1.jpg

Premium Features