• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Drive chain broke TB2015

L
Oct 13, 2012
Brand new 2015 kit

Maybe 4 to 6 hrs on a new kit,chain broke bunched up inside case ,broke the case,all i can think is that the chain master link wasn’t installed properly?

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Maybe 4 to 6 hrs on a new kit,chain broke bunched up inside case ,broke the case,all i can think is that the chain master link wasn’t installed properly?

could be, most likely but did you check the tension after every ride at a minimum? If it gets loose then starts pounding every time you go on the gas off the gas it really puts a beating on the chain. also if it was too tight that's bad too. I noticed I overtightened mine because it has a loose spot and a tight spot. if you tension it at the loose spot then it will be too tight at the tight spot, those shafts dont run true ya know?

M
Jan 14, 2004
When there is/was a tension problem it will often take out the plastic idler sprocket. How does that look?

M5

Last edited:
U
Sep 12, 2010
Check your bearings, too. If a bearing goes, the chain tension and alignment goes and all hell breaks loose.

Where are the photos?

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
could be, most likely but did you check the tension after every ride at a minimum? If it gets loose then starts pounding every time you go on the gas off the gas it really puts a beating on the chain. also if it was too tight that's bad too. I noticed I overtightened mine because it has a loose spot and a tight spot. if you tension it at the loose spot then it will be too tight at the tight spot, those shafts dont run true ya know?

This isn't only attributed to shaft run out. Chains have tight spots and it is always recommended by the OEMs to check your tension/slack in multiple spots. This is very noticeable on dirtbikes if you monitor for it.

However at under 10 hrs on a new kit I am guessing the master link came apart. Any info on where the chain broke?

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.

SO the masterlink was apart? If so, then it obviously wasn't installed properly or maybe the clip was left off? Did you find a clip? Very odd for a chain to just break a link. Or did you hit a rock sidehilling, break the cover, and then damage the chain?

Premium Features