• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

24 turbo drive axles

S
Sep 21, 2016
Van Isl
My understanding is that the new 2024 turbos come with the hyvo chain and sprockets again. That being said, the slop/play in the quick-change drive axle is not resolved by this. Are people intending to stay stock, install the tki fix kit or swap in a 2022 drive axle? Or some other fix? Curious what people are thinking.

P
Apr 17, 2023
Bozeman, Montana
I put the borg warner gears and chain in mine, otherwise it's stock; swapped the oem 53 tooth lower gear for a 51. I haven't rode it with the new gearing, seeing how it broke down in late April. It's a 23 model though, really looking forward to getting back on the snow and trying it out. The sled has 800 miles and the inside of the chain case looked good, but I had adjusted the stock chain several times and it had me worried.

Last edited:
D
Dec 22, 2018
I heard on the spring that ´24 Turbos come with Rexnord Aurora which have been used on Europe made ´23 turbos. But I still consider BW HYVO a lot better. Someone who has received their ´24 turbo could check the sticker on chaincase whats in there.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
put hyvo sprockets/chain in my '23 turbo along with the fix kit. don't plan on installing a different drive axle.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I did this. Used a 21 renegade drive shaft, avid drivers, and a belt drive. Looked like a chain sprocket would go on it just fine too

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
My understanding is that the new 2024 turbos come with the hyvo chain and sprockets again. That being said, the slop/play in the quick-change drive axle is not resolved by this. Are people intending to stay stock, install the tki fix kit or swap in a 2022 drive axle? Or some other fix? Curious what people are thinking.

I see you are posting on different forums.

Here is my additional two cents. We don’t know if the 24’s driveshaft have been updated or not. Some 23’s had no issues at all. I have also seen a suspension problem cause the driveshaft to fail as well….as of right now we have no confirmation that there is rexnord, rexnord Aurora, or the hyvo borg Warner in the chaincase.

I was one of the first individuals to post about the type of chain that the 2023’s came with last year when the sleds came out.

I rode my sled all season and at the end, I had my sprocket and chain changed as well as the driveshaft to a 2022, and I had no abnormal rubbing in my chaincase. I was more concerned about the chain than the driveshaft.

If you have money to spend, than do the 2022 driveshaft, but you are on a updated model year.

Look at the 2017 G4, some guys had issues with brittle bulkheads and others were tough as nails and the bulkhead issue that was in the first year didn’t seem to reappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Regarding the 22’ driveshaft in a G5. Is the 22’ driveshaft different from the previous G4 sleds? Or can you use a 20’ or 21’ driveshaft?

S
Sep 21, 2016
Van Isl
I see you are posting on different forums.

Here is my additional two cents. We don’t know if the 24’s driveshaft have been updated or not. Some 23’s had no issues at all. I have also seen a suspension problem cause the driveshaft to fail as well….as of right now we have no confirmation that there is rexnord, rexnord Aurora, or the hyvo borg Warner in the chaincase.

I was one of the first individuals to post about the type of chain that the 2023’s came with last year when the sleds came out.

I rode my sled all season and at the end, I had my sprocket and chain changed as well as the driveshaft to a 2022, and I had no abnormal rubbing in my chaincase. I was more concerned about the chain than the driveshaft.

If you have money to spend, than do the 2022 driveshaft, but you are on a updated model year.

Look at the 2017 G4, some guys had issues with brittle bulkheads and others were tough as nails and the bulkhead issue that was in the first year didn’t seem to reappear.

Haha, yah. Never know which forums are active.
I’m just going to do the Tki fix on the drive axle. Cheap-ish insurance that at least removes the play from the axle, which can’t be a bad thing, and is less costly than a new drive axle.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i had my 23 apart. over 700 miles. i see zero issue with the 2 piece driveshaft. no rubbing, no abnormal wear. of course theres a minute amount of play in those splines, but there is more play in the bottom gear to driveshaft splines- that won't change regardless of what driveshaft is used. I decided not to use the tki fix, in my opinion its not needed. why fix something that isn't broken. it sounds like that 2 piece design is unchanged for 24. As for the chain and gears, definitely changing to the stronger Hyvo set, even though the stock chain and gears looked fine.

P
Apr 17, 2023
Bozeman, Montana
If the frequency of my chain adjustments goes way down like I hope then I'm going to leave mine like I have it now. I also have a 18 summit x 154, I bought it brand new; 2500 miles. I've adjusted the chain on it twice. There's no reason the 23 can't be like this too.

S
Sep 21, 2016
Van Isl
Regarding the 22’ driveshaft in a G5. Is the 22’ driveshaft different from the previous G4 sleds? Or can you use a 20’ or 21’ driveshaft?
I believe it changed at some point in the g4 as when you look at the parts finder, it lists the 22 axle as replacing another part number. I don’t know when that change occurred tho - I haven’t bothered to look into it as I would be using a 22 axle if I did make the swap.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta

Yes it is different. Making the bottom gear different on the 20 and 21. You can’t order a 2022 hyvo bottom sprocket and put in in a 21.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
If the frequency of my chain adjustments goes way down like I hope then I'm going to leave mine like I have it now. I also have a 18 summit x 154, I bought it brand new; 2500 miles. I've adjusted the chain on it twice. There's no reason the 23 can't be like this too.

Lack of info in this post, you have a 18 154 that’s probably NA, and sees way less drivetrain load than a turbo with a longer track.

IMO the chain is the biggest cause of the driveshaft failure.

Premium Features