• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Horse Bearing Replacement

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I decided to do some sprocket swapping on my kit and figured since I had most of the kit taken apart that I might as well replace the bearings (4 of them). I did quite a bit of shopping around and found that buying them online was the way to go but they can be found at the local parts house if you want to drop over $20/bearing on the SKF's, I also found a budget bearing locally that had plastic seals for under $5 but without a rubber seal I don't see them lasting long. I ended up buying 8 - SKF 6205 2RSJ bearings off ebay for a total of $35 shipped to my door, I figured for that price I might as well buy extra.

I don't know what the quality of the KOYO bearings are that came in the Mountain Horse kit but I am betting they are not top quality. Two of the bearings I pulled rolled ok without a load on them but they did not role smoothly, the other two seemed ok but with the kit apart I wanted to do all of them. Prior to installing the SKF bearings I went ahead and pulled the rubber seals and packed them with a good waterproof grease, I am hoping they last many seasons.

I did run into a few issues tracking down the bearings, turns out nobody stocks or even cross-references KOYO bearings so the 6205RD that is on the bearings will get you squat. The 6205 is for the bearing dimensions which are 52mm outside dia., 25mm inside dia., and 15mm thick and the last two letters are for the type of seal. I think those last two letters vary between manufacturers so just make sure it's a rubber sealed bearing.

This was not my first time pulling the chain case sprockets off but it was the first time I did it with a puller and I highly recommend dropping the $50 and buying a three jaw puller. I bought mine from Sears and it will do a two or three jaw pull which was good because pulling the bearing carriers didn't allow room for the third jaw. The previous time I pulled the chain case sprockets I used a propane torch some big flat head screw drivers and a claw hammer to get the sprockets off, it was not pretty and swear words were spoken. The drive setup on these kits could have been done so much better I get pissed every time I take it apart but I don't have a machine shop at my disposal so I will live with it for now. I removed the drive sprocket using the puller as well and then proceeded to dismantle the rest of the kit. After you remove all of the sprockets and the brake caliper and the rotor and the drive shaft and all the bearings basically nothing is attached to the subframe anymore. After getting everything off of the kit I took some sand paper to the drive shaft and sanded the whole thing down so that the sprockets, spacers and bearings can be slid on instead of having to press them on and use a puller to get them off. The track shaft also required some sanding on one end to get the bearing to slide on but the other side didn't have any clearance issues. I put anti seize on everything so hopefully I won't have issues taking it apart next time.

Hopefully this will help some of you out when it comes your time to tear it apart.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Thanks for the tips and a couple more.

The first time I pulled off my sprockets I also thought they were pressed on. Not true, the shafts are a slip fit in the sprockets, bearings and disc. Corrosion is what causes the need for a puller. I just dissabled my new kit and everything came apart easly. Used antisieze when I reasembled.

I know that TimberSled has new double lip sealed Koyo bearings with extra grease, for sale. Do not know how much $$.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Timbersled is selling a 4 bearing kit for $54 and I am sure they will nail you pretty good if they have to ship it, at least that is my experience. I don't know for sure but I would think the SKF bearings are of better quality than the KOYO's.

As for the sprockets not being a press fit I would not agree from my experience. I did not pull my kit apart before the first ride on it last season but I did pull the sprockets after my first ride and they would not come off without a lot of persuasion. I would suspect that Timbersled started machining the sprockets a little differently when they found that they were not coming off without a puller.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
I can guarantee that there is no better bearing than SKF around, so rest assured that you have the best bearing money can buy.

Regards Rob

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Napa carries the bearings, $4.88 a peice. The bearing is also used on polaris snowmobiles, your local dealer probably has them in stock if napa doesn't.

Darren those would be the budget bearings I was talking about. I am assuming they are probably of the same quality as the bearing that came in our kits.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Koyo and SKF, NSK are all GREAT bearings.

It's the cheap chinese made bearings that you have to watch out for.

I'd use a press and heat when changing out the bearings, and have anti-seize handy to apply to the bearings+housings before re-assembly.

As mentioned the lip seals on the bearings themselves should be removed and the bearings should be fully packed full of grease before ever being installed.

Koyo are good bearings, they are not of any less quality than any other brand out there. So Timbersled is not going cheap on the bearings, there is no bearing issue to speak of. Next time you tighten up your chains, be sure to sample the chain slack from a different spot on the spockets, they don't run as true as you'd think. So set your chain tension so that you never have it pulling too tight. That tightness will overwork your bearings.

Jon

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Ah, I misread your post. I just put budget bearings in mine, we'll see how they hold up. Pretty easy to change them when your changing the sprockets.

I agree and I am betting that the budget bearings will get you a season. Who know the SKF's I put in might need changed after a season. Time will tell.

You missed a good ride yesterday aside from a sprocket issue I had.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
The bearing kit that Timbersled sells($62.00 to my door) has bearings that are drilled to be greasable(zerks are included). Drill and tap the housing and your good to go.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Just wanted to provide an update and heads up so others can hopefully avoid having their horse die in the backcountry. Apparently two seasons is too much to ask from any ball bearing even SKF's. The bearing still had a lot of grease and no sign of rust but the outside race broke and spit the bearings right out the side of the housing. I will be replacing bearings after every season to hopefully avoid another break down.

Just wanted to provide an update and heads up so others can hopefully avoid having their horse die in the backcountry. Apparently two seasons is too much to ask from any ball bearing even SKF's. The bearing still had a lot of grease and no sign of rust but the outside race broke and spit the bearings right out the side of the housing. I will be replacing bearings after every season to hopefully avoid another break down.

Yikes! Did you have to leave it over night?

I managed to get 2 full seasons out of my NAPA bearings, and they felt smooth when I took them out. Regardless, I put the greasable ones in for the new owner.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Yikes! Did you have to leave it over night?

I managed to get 2 full seasons out of my NAPA bearings, and they felt smooth when I took them out. Regardless, I put the greasable ones in for the new owner.

Happened early enough in the day that the rest of the crew rode back to the pickup took one of the kits apart and brought the part back to me. I guess I am just to hard on stuff you better start riding harder Darren.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
SKF bearings

Regarding the SKF bearings (best choice for replacement bearings from SKF is the 6205-2RSH bearings. It is not the lack of grease that kills the bearings (at least not the SKF ones), but the lateral forces on the bearing that comes from the flex in the aluminium sides when hitting bumps, stumps, rocks, trees and other stuff. Considering how much money we all spend on our interest, the swapping of 4 bearings each season is a very cheap insurance to prevent break downs. I am changing my SKF bearings after every season just to minimize failures when out having the most fun that can be had on snow!

Just my 2 cents.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Regarding the SKF bearings (best choice for replacement bearings from SKF is the 6205-2RSH bearings. It is not the lack of grease that kills the bearings (at least not the SKF ones), but the lateral forces on the bearing that comes from the flex in the aluminium sides when hitting bumps, stumps, rocks, trees and other stuff. Considering how much money we all spend on our interest, the swapping of 4 bearings each season is a very cheap insurance to prevent break downs. I am changing my SKF bearings after every season just to minimize failures when out having the most fun that can be had on snow!

Just my 2 cents.

Do you know if anybody makes a bearing with rollers instead of balls that could be retrofitted for our application? If a roller bearing was incorporated into these kits I think the bearing failure rate would go way down.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
Do you know if anybody makes a bearing with rollers instead of balls that could be retrofitted for our application? If a roller bearing was incorporated into these kits I think the bearing failure rate would go way down.

I have discarded rollers, since they can handle lateral forces even worse. I have also finally decided to discard a doublebearing as replacement for the single bearing handling all the forces from bike and down to drive shaft, since that bearing is the one taking the most abuse. But when switching bearings between every season it is not necessary to make them stronger, unless you got turbo :hail: . At least that is my thinking so far.

Rob

Premium Features