• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 ski doo motor into polaris edge?

S
Apr 6, 2008
North Idaho
Ok, i have a 2003 polaris 800 edge, and i am wondering if its possible and if it is how hard it would be to put a 800 ski doo motor into my sled? I know if its possible it will be a lot of fabrication of mounts and stuff but, im capable of doing alot of that. so any feedback or opinions please let me know thanks.

P

powderman800

Jan 28, 2008
Kennewick, WA
That would be a waste of time. The Polaris Liberty motor has much more aftermarket support, is much more common and it fits. If you need a motor then just trade or sell the Rotax motor and buy a Liberty motor. Have fun and no, there are no parts you can buy for this conversion. PM8.

Last edited:
C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
OK, i have a 2003 Polaris 800 edge, and i am wondering if its possible and if it is how hard it would be to put a 800 ski doo motor into my sled? I know if its possible it will be a lot of fabrication of mounts and stuff but, im capable of doing allot of that. so any feedback or opinions please let me know thanks.

Any thing is possible, but why? the Polaris motor is a better motor, lighter, makes more power and more mods for it and it fits.
No one make anything for doing this because it is not worth it at all.

S
Apr 6, 2008
North Idaho
I have had more trouble with my motor in the last 2 years and im getting tired of it, i just thought that it might work or be better i just need to get a newer sled, i just dont have the money to get one, i was just wondering if anybody did it and if it would be worth it, and i know now that that probably wouldnt be a good idea.

P

powderman800

Jan 28, 2008
Kennewick, WA
Problems?

The Liberty motors have a ton of aftermarket support and EVERYONE has experience with these motors; it would be very easy to make your motor rock solid. What kinds of problems are you experiencing?

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I have had more trouble with my motor in the last 2 years and im getting tired of it, i just thought that it might work or be better i just need to get a newer sled, i just dont have the money to get one, i was just wondering if anybody did it and if it would be worth it, and i know now that that probably wouldnt be a good idea.

Get a 600 liberty or 600 H.O. ! You can get them to run very good and you won't have the crank problems that the 800's did. My 600 ho engine ( got it for $1000) makes more horsepower than my 09 dragon. All i did was port the exhaust, mess with the carbs a bit, and run a race gas head. In a drag, that lil 600 impresses the hell out of me! You might not get quite as high on the hill as an 800 but it is sill a blast! I don't know if this is an option for you but if i were you i would consider it!

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
Get a 600 liberty or 600 H.O. ! You can get them to run very good and you won't have the crank problems that the 800's did. My 600 ho engine ( got it for $1000) makes more horsepower than my 09 dragon. All i did was port the exhaust, mess with the carbs a bit, and run a race gas head. In a drag, that lil 600 impresses the hell out of me! You might not get quite as high on the hill as an 800 but it is sill a blast! I don't know if this is an option for you but if i were you i would consider it!

I second that. I'm running a 600 H.O factory mod with twin pipes in my sled and it RIPS. I came off a modded 700 and this 600 walks all over it. The throttle response and how fast it revs up is incredible.

S
Apr 6, 2008
North Idaho
I have thought about that i know the 600 didnt have the crank problems. i just like the snapiness of my 800 and the power, my dad has a 600 and i do not like riding it, the throttle response is horrible and does not have much power to me, but again it is compltly stock and has nothing done to it except a can. I myswell just go buy a newer sled.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
700ves is more reliable than the 800ves is and has more ballz than the 600, plenty of engines out there.

S
Apr 6, 2008
North Idaho
700ves is more reliable than the 800ves is and has more ballz than the 600, plenty of engines out there.

ya, i could do that to, i really like the edge chassis and the way it handles and everything, i would really like to keep it, and put a motor in it that is reliable and i dont have to worry about to much. i have had to tow my sled out a few times up in a bad spot and dont want that anymore.

S
Apr 6, 2008
North Idaho
What's wrong with your Poo 800 that can't be fixed? Very simple and reliable unless someone really ****ed it up.

ok, it is a long story, ok at about 3000 miles my sled blewup and took the whole motor out i bought new case halfs, pistons, rods, heads were fine, ah a used but good cylinder and the other was fine, and had to put a new pto end on crank i had cranky joe out of spokane washington do the crank work and we did the wide bearing kit he pressed them on and put newer pto end on, at this time i also got rid of oil injection and cranky joe drilled out the case for oil to get to the bearings, and i put it all back together and i rode it for about a half a season and parked it for the summer and summerized it, i go it out the next winter and took it up for a short little test ride and went about 10 miles and blew up again took it home took it apart and it was the two bearings on the pto side on the crank, i took it to cranky joe again and he said i dont know and so he put two new bearings on and the cases did get a little scarred from that but he said it was ok so i put it together and went up and rode it for about 8 miles and it went again, took it apart and it was the bearings i took it back again and he said i dont know he said well we could try different cases and he put new bearings on and i switched cases, put it back together and rode it for most of this last season and it was running good, and close to the end of the season i was riding back to the truck and it was making a real loud vibrating noice and took it apart and wat do u no it was the bearings again, so now it is sitting in my garage in pieces. after the second time i took the cases and got the oil port porteed out some more thinking maybe it wasnt getting enough oil and then when i switched cases the ones i switched to was drilled a little different to just see if that changed anything, and the only other thing i can think of is the clutch, the three years i have had the sled i have done nothing to the clutch, which is probably a stupid move and is probably what my problem is, what does anybody else think of this. whoever reads this is probably thinking im a retard, but i dont know what to do. so any help or comments or anything would help, thanks.

Last edited:
C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
ok, it is a long story, ok at about 3000 miles my sled blewup and took the whole motor out i bought new case halfs, pistons, rods, heads were fine, ah a used but good cylinder and the other was fine, and had to put a new pto end on crank i had cranky joe out of spokane washington do the crank work and we did the wide bearing kit he pressed them on and put newer pto end on, at this time i also got rid of oil injection and cranky joe drilled out the case for oil to get to the bearings, and i put it all back together and i rode it for about a half a season and parked it for the summer and summerized it, i go it out the next winter and took it up for a short little test ride and went about 10 miles and blew up again took it home took it apart and it was the two bearings on the pto side on the crank, i took it to cranky joe again and he said i dont know and so he put two new bearings on and the cases did get a little scarred from that but he said it was ok so i put it together and went up and rode it for about 8 miles and it went again, took it apart and it was the bearings i took it back again and he said i dont know he said well we could try different cases and he put new bearings on and i switched cases, put it back together and rode it for most of this last season and it was running good, and close to the end of the season i was riding back to the truck and it was making a real loud vibrating noice and took it apart and wat do u no it was the bearings again, so now it is sitting in my garage in pieces. after the second time i took the cases and got the oil port porteed out some more thinking maybe it wasnt getting enough oil and then when i switched cases the ones i switched to was drilled a little different to just see if that changed anything, and the only other thing i can think of is the clutch, the three years i have had the sled i have done nothing to the clutch, which is probably a stupid move and is probably what my problem is, what does anybody else think of this. whoever reads this is probably thinking im a retard, but i dont know what to do. so any help or comments or anything would help, thanks.

Put the oiler back on bottom line. repalce clutch plus balance and have the fly wheel balanced.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
In two words, INDY Specilitys....Dan fixes those motors so the bottom end is bullet proof plus he offers a warrenty. As for the clutch buy a new one, on my escape after about 4k it wasn't worth rebuilding. Send it to SLP for balance and you should be ready to go. Bet your troubles go away after that.

R

Reaper

Nov 27, 2007
Southeast Idaho
Sell the sled and get a Cat or Doo, you will fight that 800 timebomb until you do. There comes a point in time when you have to cut your losses and move on.

If you simply cant get a different sled then find a 700 motor, mod it up a bit and run it, I know I loved my Edge but just couldn't deal with it or trust it anymore with a ticking 800 in it. How much is piece of mind worth, and how many more times are your buddies going to tow you out?

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
Sell the sled and get a Cat or Doo, you will fight that 800 timebomb until you do. There comes a point in time when you have to cut your losses and move on.

If you simply cant get a different sled then find a 700 motor, mod it up a bit and run it, I know I loved my Edge but just couldn't deal with it or trust it anymore with a ticking 800 in it. How much is piece of mind worth, and how many more times are your buddies going to tow you out?

Do not listen to this guy, you can make these sled live.

Premium Features