• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 Phazer starting issues

P
Feb 13, 2008
Started having starter problems this winter - when the machine has been sitting for a couple of days I will go and fire it up just to see if the battery has been holding it's charge, I will turn the key on and wait for the fuel pump to prime and then turn the key to start, but nothing happens, not even a clicking from the starter. So I cycle this process 3-4 times, on the last attempt the engine starts. This happens sometimes, not always. And once the engine is running, I can turn it off and back on no problem. But let sit for a few minutes then the problem comes back. Any thoughts? Starter? Ignition Key? Thanks.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
Buddy had that problem as well. Wouldn't start on the starter, had to start it on the selenoid. When started, shut off and would start again. Changed the starter selenoid ($40 cdn I believe) and no problems since. Hope this helps

Last edited:
N
Jan 11, 2008
Cherhill AB
There is a selenoid down beside the battery, I had to put dieletric grease on the posts. I bought a spare one just in case. If it happens again pull the cover and cross the bolts on the selenoid and starts cranking it is your issue

P
Feb 13, 2008
There is a selenoid down beside the battery, I had to put dieletric grease on the posts. I bought a spare one just in case. If it happens again pull the cover and cross the bolts on the selenoid and starts cranking it is your issue

Found the selenoid, thanks for pointing out the location. When I turn the key I get a one faint "click."

So to test it, as I understand, take a screw driver and put it in contact with both positive and negative post on the selenoid and then turn the key over. If this starts the engine then the problem is the selenoid.

P
Feb 13, 2008
Service Update

Just FYi --

Talking to the local shop about my problem they mentioned there is a new service update that replaces the Ground Buss. A 14 pin connector located by the oil tank. A free update from Yamaha (no charge labor and parts). Appartently there has been issues of over heating and machines shut off or will not start. This update came out around Thanksgiving of 2009.

Premium Features