• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

direct injected for 2012?

L

LT

Nov 20, 2008
menahga, mn.
i think ive read that there is a direct injected 800 in the works right??? does anyone have thoughts on when its gonna be out? im probably gonna get a pro ride for 2012 but just curious whats gonna be a available

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
They're working on one with Orbital. Given their past CFI and new motor challenges, lotsa polaris peeps would say one more reason to buy a 2011. My guess - 2012 will stay with the 800 CFI-2, where the DI will be intro'ed to the 600 class only. Don't think they'll drop the 800 CFI-2 after just one year, if it works as they hope. Unless the DI is that good, or the 800 CFI-2 is that bad. Don't think it will be that bad. The possibility of a 2012 DI shouldn't stop anyone from buying a 2011 800 CFI-2, not that you're waiting for DI, anyways.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The 2011 meets emmision requirements for 2012 so I would not expect any change for a while. They spent some coin developing the 2011 motor so they'll want to recoup that investment over more than just 1 year.

sled_guy

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
DI

The 2011 meets emmision requirements for 2012 so I would not expect any change for a while. They spent some coin developing the 2011 motor so they'll want to recoup that investment over more than just 1 year.

sled_guy

x2
icon10.gif

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here is what DI boils down to...

$$

DI costs a lot more to put on the sleds.... It also weighs more and adds complexity to the system.

Rotax (E-tec) and Mercury (Optimax) have done it with the two stroke stuff but the cost has gone up as well as complexity.

DI will come about if there is no other way to make SDI or "Clean Fire" work in an economically feasible way.

"Economically feasible" encompasses the points of... Marketing (will customers buy a more expensive sled), R&D (Will it cost too much to make the current (non-DI) system EPA compliant), Assembly/service (how much will it cost to integrate DI into the manufacturing system and service), Power output (will DI increase the power output of the engine to the point where more people will buy the snowmobile based on HP figures in light of the higher cost)

L

LT

Nov 20, 2008
menahga, mn.
Here is what DI boils down to...

$$

DI costs a lot more to put on the sleds.... It also weighs more and adds complexity to the system.

Rotax (E-tec) and Mercury (Optimax) have done it with the two stroke stuff but the cost has gone up as well as complexity.

DI will come about if there is no other way to make SDI or "Clean Fire" work in an economically feasible way.

"Economically feasible" encompasses the points of... Marketing (will customers buy a more expensive sled), R&D (Will it cost too much to make the current (non-DI) system EPA compliant), Assembly/service (how much will it cost to integrate DI into the manufacturing system and service), Power output (will DI increase the power output of the engine to the point where more people will buy the snowmobile based on HP figures in light of the higher cost)

eric you dont sounds super jacked up about it. i was trying to get some imput from ppl to see what their thoughts were and then decide if i wanna wait for one. now im thinking buy the cleanfire 800 for next yr and call er good! but then again i got to thinking what about a 600di pro ride rmk with possibly a 660 or 685?? how feasible is that?? if it was i think that would be a super fun sled!

Premium Features