• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Assault 155 or Pro RMK 155

M

Mountain800

Dec 11, 2008
Norway
I want some help on whitch of these two sleds to choose for 2011? This year I rode 2010 Assault...but will buy new for 2011. I really liked the weelie fun with my 2010 146", will the 155 Assault be able to weelie? Anybody that has been on Assault 155 and Pro RMK 155? what are the differences beside track type? will the Assault climb better or the RMK?
I was also looking at the Assault Switchback but think when I buy new I also want the newest tunnel/suspention...Need help on deciding what sled to buy...:face-icon-small-hap

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The two sleds are identical except for the color, track, shocks and the front end width..

If you jump a lot and like to climb.. the wide 43" base will give you more stability on the Assault.
If you like to do a lot of technical tree work, the 40" wide front of the Pro RMK will give a bit better boondocking ease and sidehill aspects, IMO.

The shock package on both are solid, the Assault give you the more heavy duty WE needles with compression adjustment and bottom resistance... a nice feature if you beat on your sled...If you are powder rider mostly...this is a bit of overkill.

These are my opinions, different sized riders with different abilities and preferences for riding will have other opinions.

Try to focus on advice from people that have the same size / style / abilities /conditions.

I have been on both sleds... both are fun... I prefer the Pro RMK.

I'm 170 lbs with gear on, short and prefer boondocking to climbing.

The 155's do not wheelie as easily as the 146's.

The comp track on the Assault is not the best choice for fluffy powder... it excels in setup and high moisture content snow.... but it does NOT last long at high speeds due to the stiffness of the track... If you plan on going faster than 110 KPH... don't get the Assault... the track will not hold up... not that the deep lug 2.4" track is much better at speed.

Which ever you choose, you will be very happy with them... they handle much better than the previous model IQ RMK/Assault it replaces.

Last edited:
S

skotertoken

Feb 17, 2008
Arvidsjaur, Sweden
I have rode them both. The only riding I do is tecnical tree riding, but I always ride like I stole it. So I perfer the better suspention of the Assault, I'm 230lbs fully dressed. The strange thing is that in the heavy snow I rode them in I found more confidece in the Assault. When boondocking it were easier to hold down in the line I wanted to go. And the suspention kicks ***! Did take it on a ruff trailride and became really impressed!
The stiffer lugs of the assault track is a big plus, I will put turbo and then the rmk track becomes to weak. (like all other oem tracks)

Thats only my personal opinion, hope it helps.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I went with the Pro because of the narrow stance. I do alot of sidehilling and picking lines in the tight trees, and I figured it would be better for that. I would of loved to have the better suspension and the track (for our wet cascade snow). Decisions...don't ya love em??

Last edited:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
The beauty is, you can always make one like the other if you really feel you made the wrong decision. The sleds themselves are basically the same as MH stated. It only takes money:face-icon-small-hap

M

Mountain800

Dec 11, 2008
Norway
Think i`ll go for the Assault, I had the 2.4 inch Rmk track in 2009, this track is not good for our snow conditions here in Norway, more hardpack snow...
I ride HARD, boondocking, climbing, but also some trail riding.. Is the Rmk or the Assault better for trail riding?
Thanks for every coment, sure there will always be someone prefer Rmk/ someone Assault... but really like to hear opinions on both sleds before buying/deciding...
But I was not overimpressed with the 2010 Assault, stumbles and to many Issues with the motor..made my season not so good... was really looking into another brand sled, but I decided to let Polaris get another chance with the 2011`s...if it stumbles and have issues this year I think Polaris have big trouble selling sleds here in Norway (800CFI)
Please let summer be short and winter long!!! summer sucks!:face-icon-small-hap

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Think i`ll go for the Assault, I had the 2.4 inch Rmk track in 2009, this track is not good for our snow conditions here in Norway, more hardpack snow...
I ride HARD, boondocking, climbing, but also some trail riding.. Is the Rmk or the Assault better for trail riding?
Thanks for every coment, sure there will always be someone prefer Rmk/ someone Assault... but really like to hear opinions on both sleds before buying/deciding...
But I was not overimpressed with the 2010 Assault, stumbles and to many Issues with the motor..made my season not so good... was really looking into another brand sled, but I decided to let Polaris get another chance with the 2011`s...if it stumbles and have issues this year I think Polaris have big trouble selling sleds here in Norway (800CFI)

The Assault will be better for trail riding with its wider ski stance (better cornering stability), stiffer track and better shocks to handle repeated bumps better.

Have FUN!

G MAN

S

skotertoken

Feb 17, 2008
Arvidsjaur, Sweden

The assault is better for us in scandinavia I think, and you sound like you have my type of driving. When I droove the pro rmk I did give it such a rugh time that I thought some thing broke in the rear. But it were ok. On the other hand the assault rocks! The suspention is great, and the track really hooks up! IF you would like the narrower front end it is cheaper to get then better shocks. Regarding the stumbeling engine, put a pcV or a turbo and the problems are gone. Thats how I did think.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
The beauty is, you can always make one like the other if you really feel you made the wrong decision. The sleds themselves are basically the same as MH stated. It only takes money:face-icon-small-hap

Man, ain't that the truth.....if only I had more money,,,,

The assault is better for us in scandinavia I think, and you sound like you have my type of driving. When I droove the pro rmk I did give it such a rugh time that I thought some thing broke in the rear. But it were ok. On the other hand the assault rocks! The suspention is great, and the track really hooks up! IF you would like the narrower front end it is cheaper to get then better shocks. Regarding the stumbeling engine, put a pcV or a turbo and the problems are gone. Thats how I did think.

The wider front end is the result of the longer shocks required for the Assault suspension. So you can't get the narrow front end with the longer shocks.

Also, just wondering how much heavier the Assault track is than the Pro's? It takes more HP to turn a heavier track.:bolt::fencing:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
The wider front end is the result of the longer shocks required for the Assault suspension. So you can't get the narrow front end with the longer shocks.

That's where the money comes in! The stock a-arms will probably bend early on anyway and you would have to buy shorter shocks.

S

skotertoken

Feb 17, 2008
Arvidsjaur, Sweden
We have put rmk900 a-arms on 2 assault -09 and they worked fine. The assault shock is a little bit longer, but you wont feel much of it. They have ridden two winters like that and are werry satisfied!

M

Mountain800

Dec 11, 2008
Norway

Here in Norway the Assault cost 159000 norwegian krone/24194 US dollars...when buying a sled at this all to high price I do not want to buy Powercommander or turbokit to make the engine zero stumbles! At this price I expect the engine to run flawless, zero stumbling. I did test the pcv on my 2010 Assault, but it could not fix my stumbling. And yes I did try positives and negatives...tweaked mapping all season. Just pass 3000 km/1864 miles engine broke down...
So buying a 2011 is for me letting polaris get a second chance. If the 2011 does not perform without stumbling and issues I will bring it straight back to my dealer demanding my money back...:devil: Good luck Polaris.

S

skotertoken

Feb 17, 2008
Arvidsjaur, Sweden
Oh, they were expensive!! Then I understand your consern. The ones I have drove had no stumbling or other issues, and I drove the rush, rmk, pro-rmk, assault switchback and rmk assault. And they all worked fine. Let's hope the produktion sleds are just as fine!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Interesting discussion.....
No the 155 Pro will not wheelie anything like the 2009-2010 146 Assault if it's setup correctly. (I can help you make it act more that way if you want)

The geometry of the new rear suspension is specifically designed to keep the vehicle in balance of forward inertia versus over transfer and the "wheelie" like on the vastly inferior coil spring suspension from the past.

I put in for a 155 Pro-RMK because I want two things that the 155 Assault version does not offer. I want to start with the 5.1 track and I want the sway bar. The rest is essentially the same for me because I'll get a Holz Racing Products chromoly front suspension package and Fox Evol shocks on it so the width will be the same as my 09 IQ RAW which is 1" wider then stock with a properly performing pre-setup. Now per comments the ride height and pressures that you set your shocks on determines the actual width of your front stance when the skis are working. The lower your vehicle sits at rest or in motion but with out extensive rear tranfer the wider your ski stance is. But there is a pretty fine performance balance between your ride height (resulting in pressure and the width of your skis setup at that point) and the way your rear suspension works for all around riding. The stock setup with the walkers for the demo Pro's were (is or are) excellent and that is why almost universally the people that have gotten to play on those sleds have enjoyed them immensely.

Why I chose the 5.1 over the 155 competition "assault" track. I can trim that track and stiffen the end of the lugs but keep the throw or flex at the belt by installing sunken screws and simply make a customized track that corrects the negative issues associated with all around performance on the 5.1 for almost NO MONEY and ABSOLUTELY no known performance or durability sacrifices. My trimmed tracks have never been wanting in any condition versus the assault track even in packed, very firm, still frozen, high moisture snow which is the assault tracks primary shinning condition for performance recreationally. (obviously screwed up for competition on rocks and ice is a different result)

I want to be able to go as fast as my sled will take me and the conditions will allow without concern on my track falling apart. I want instant response of my throttle with concerns to traction out of the hole and out of corners on a trail or on a packed climb. I want it to be able to have a down hill braking effect and control on steep ascents. I don't want my buddies to be able to go places I can't go on like sleds and like skills. Finally, I don't mind at all having a sled that is generally faster and better performing then my riding companions irregardless of the terrain or the conditions of the day even though the power plants are similar. That all equals maximum fun with minimum financial outlay.

Maybe your wants and needs would be similar and this is helpful.

M

Mountain800

Dec 11, 2008
Norway
So the 5.1 Rmk track is able of more speed compared to the competition? I was not impressed about track speed on my 2010 Assault.. never saw more than 110-120 km per hour... And ofcourse I could trim the lugs on 5.1 to make it stiffer for poor snow conditions...

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Man, ain't that the truth.....if only I had more money,,,,

Also, just wondering how much heavier the Assault track is than the Pro's? It takes more HP to turn a heavier track.:bolt::fencing:

I heard that the 155 Assault track is 7 lbs heavier than the 155 pro. I snow checked the Assault for the better shock package and for the width, I had my 08 and 09 Dragon's as wide as I could get them for boondocking. I had to put in fat boy springs in them as well, but I also weight 245 lbs in my sled gear. If I don't like the Assault track, there are some very good after market tracks out there.

M

Mountain800

Dec 11, 2008
Norway
I heard that the 155 Assault track is 7 lbs heavier than the 155 pro. I snow checked the Assault for the better shock package and for the width, I had my 08 and 09 Dragon's as wide as I could get them for boondocking. I had to put in fat boy springs in them as well, but I also weight 245 lbs in my sled gear. If I don't like the Assault track, there are some very good after market tracks out there.

Thinking just the same here, Get the assault and change the track if I dont like the 155 competition...I like the possibility to adjust the shocks easy like on Assault...Huh..this was a hard decission to take.. Assault/RMK Pro.

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Why I chose the 5.1 over the 155 competition "assault" track. I can trim that track and stiffen the end of the lugs but keep the throw or flex at the belt by installing sunken screws and simply make a customized track that corrects the negative issues associated with all around performance on the 5.1 for almost NO MONEY and ABSOLUTELY no known performance or durability sacrifices. My trimmed tracks have never been wanting in any condition versus the assault track even in packed, very firm, still frozen, high moisture snow which is the assault tracks primary shinning condition for performance recreationally. (obviously screwed up for competition on rocks and ice is a different result)

What screws are you using?

M

Mountain800

Dec 11, 2008
Norway
Ordered Assault 155" today!!!! :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap
Cant wait till Winter!! SUMMER SUCKS!

Premium Features