• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" Camo vs. 2.5" CE

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Geo,
I generally don't replace my stock track until it starts to take a set. Here is an example of the stock track compared to the CE2.5. I was riding with a buddy at Blue Lakes, California. Overnight we got 4' of new snow:dance:. That day He was stomping me big time. Went back to the trailer that night and replaced my stock track with the CE2.5, next day I was stomping him. Granted this was Sierra cement but the CE2.5 is my track of choice.

Good comparison.
Also to note the extra day after freshies helps the ce 2.5.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
That's the thing about track comparisons and how well it works. A good dump is a good dump and it changes as the day goes on. All round is what I feel for. Balance ohhhmmm lol,

Some days after a dump you head up the south side and think it couldn't be better snow. Then you go down the north side and you wonder if you'll be able to get back out lol.
3 or 4 hr. later you may just fly up but I've had to wait for a couple of hr's of night time too.

In a reverse scenario, you fly up the south side (sinking in a foot everywhere)in the morning, to play in the north fluff for the day. Then, coming back later you need to see the bottom before you take the plunge to make sure you have run out line through the trees lol.

One of my favourite track changes was to m '12 PC (HCR duro PClaw). I was creeping to the edge of a drop on a south spring slope and I couldn't see the bottom. F##k! I putted back up and took the "safe" route back but ordered a CE on the way home.
Installed it when it came and wholly molly, I can still ride! It wasn't the size of my balls anyway. It was lack of traction of the reverse kind.
It was really nice to go and come a different way again. It was like getting a whole day of riding instead of 2/3rds.
Following the crows on the way up is a traction and power thing. Following the crows back is purely a traction thing.

For me, a track has to be a balance of the whole season, in both directions. It's a big investment and who wants to change back and forth. Over the years one design (original Camo pattern from 1" to 3" and from 60 duro to 95) has always been good to me.

Trouble is you have to run those new patterns that come out (usually stock) just to see lol.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Geo,
I generally don't replace my stock track until it starts to take a set. Here is an example of the stock track compared to the CE2.5. I was riding with a buddy at Blue Lakes, California. Overnight we got 4' of new snow:dance:. That day He was stomping me big time. Went back to the trailer that night and replaced my stock track with the CE2.5, next day I was stomping him. Granted this was Sierra cement but the CE2.5 is my track of choice.

i assume this was the “old” CE unless u changed drivers overnight?

blue lakes is my home riding area. occasionally we will get dumps like that, but most of the time not. the snow is generally heavy and wet and sets-up fast.

thanks

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
i assume this was the “old” CE unless u changed drivers overnight?

blue lakes is my home riding area. occasionally we will get dumps like that, but most of the time not. the snow is generally heavy and wet and sets-up fast.

thanks

2.86" pitch, but I can change drivers pretty quick also.
I've been riding Blue Lakes since 1986. I lived in Jacks Valley(Genoa) back then.

Edit: last season was the first season I didn't ride Blue Lakes, Hwy 4 or Señora Pass since 1986

Last edited:

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
2.86" pitch, but I can change drivers pretty quick also.
I've been riding Blue Lakes since 1986. I lived in Jacks Valley(Genoa) back then.

Edit: last season was the first season I didn't ride Blue Lakes, Hwy 4 or Señora Pass since 1986

didn’t miss anything last year do to lack of snow. however, once we got up about about 1000 ft in elevation, the snow was decent.

hopefully this year is much better!!

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
The 3" pushed very bad in my opinion, was heavy, didn't roll onto it's side as easily, and made the sled more difficult to ride. The "flickability" of the sled was gone. It moved more snow and you could feel it! If your skis were pointing straight, you better not change your mind, because the sled was going straight! In my mind it was much more difficult to maneuver the sled.

This was exactly my thoughts that first time I rode my sled with a 3", glad I am not the only one that noticed this. If you ride anything less then deep powder I would consider a different track next time around, 3" gets great traction but takes some of the fun qualities out of a stock Pro.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
This was exactly my thoughts that first time I rode my sled with a 3", glad I am not the only one that noticed this. If you ride anything less then deep powder I would consider a different track next time around, 3" gets great traction but takes some of the fun qualities out of a stock Pro.

Maybe..... think about trimming the outside lugs.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY

Maybe..... think about trimming the outside lugs. 2 3/4 may be the answer

Premium Features