• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bd turbo on apex slip joint ??

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
i have the new slip joint for the header on my apex but i find it leaks and it is getting retarded loud< even with earplugs it annoys me. i tried wrapping that pipe with header wrap and put a good clamp around it it was quiet till it blew out the header wrap, anyway can i put like a band clamp around it to seal it up it will it be too rigid and crack my header??? any options for something a little quieter out there< i still have the 2.5" outlet into the tunnel< its not bad if the snows is good but if it is marginal snow that setup is toooooo loudd for me.. any help would be appreciated. thanks D

tapex 06 003.jpg tapex 06 008 [320x200].jpg tapex 06 001 [320x200].jpg

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
get a good $$ flex joint and replace it with that.. no more noise.. and good ones wont fall apart if you have the turbo supported on its own.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
What boost are you running at now? 15?

Where did you weld the slip fitting? If it is installed correctly there should be ZERO exhaust coming from that fitting once it is heated up.

One thing that could help you with both heat and back pressure in your header is to switch your dump pipe to a 3 inch and go either out the side or the bottom of the belly pan. The stock boondocker pipe is small and in good snow with that tunnel dump location you will get some blockage. Unfortunately if you think the slip fitting is loud then the three inch probably isn't your cup of tea either.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
i had it wrapped tight with header wrap and then clamped as you can see but it blew the header wrap out and of cource it got loud again, im going to try clamping it with a exhaust style clamp and see if it stops leaking some, talked to bd and they said if i removed the header and pipe they would fix it for me, like i want to take my header off again what a pain in the a$$ like most of them after they are loctited. i had to switch with my 10 yr old son once in a while to give my ears a rest, lol. get some pretty funny looks as he goes rippin up some pretty steep hills on my turbo. its priceless.

J
Nov 27, 2007
I am a bit confused, my bd has a mesh flex joint in the header. is your kit new or way old. Turbos are loud, my mcx is not as noisy at idle but when on it its just as bad.. julio

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
I am a bit confused, my bd has a mesh flex joint in the header. is your kit new or way old. Turbos are loud, my mcx is not as noisy at idle but when on it its just as bad.. julio

hey julio mines the updated kit supposedly, the flex joint is the earlier kits, anyway i clamped it with a 2" muffler clamp and all is quiet now at that joint anyway lol. i definately have to invest in some good earplugs, even my m8 race turbo with the side panel dump wasent as bad as this thing is, when im in decent snow obviously its much quieter so maybe ill run the exhaust along side of my running board to the back as an old style side pipe maybe that will fix the noise lol..:biggrin1:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I spoke to soon. mine went bad and the joint blew apart!! now i got just a solide header with the turbo hung off the side of the motor so it moves with it.. it was REALLY loud on the ride when the joint was blowing out... i had the panels off it was so hot out and the thing was deafening!!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
Mine is real loud but the noise comes out the exhaust not the slip joint. I do not notice any exhaust coming out of the slip joint. I think mine is still working properly.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
yes when that joint leaks it get defening loud [no kiddin] when i clamped mine it was still loud in the tunnel but not inside the panel anymore. this is obviously a common problem you really notice it when your panel is off or it is vented lots under boost, just watch the coolant hose right beside the joint mine had black stuff all orver the heat tape.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Can you get me a picture of how you have the slip joint installed without any header wrap or exhaust clamp. That slip fitting should not leak at all, if it is your sled is going to have excessive lag and won't hold boost properly. I've never heard of an updated header with the slip fitting leaking there.

Premium Features