• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest Project Trailer 2015: Building a "MORE" perfect trailer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Makes sense.

All I know is I love the stability of a goose. Only time you look back to see what the trailer is doing is if your checking for tires.

Looking forward to another interesting build!
NO ARGUMENT AT ALL.
A GOOSE NECK wins every time!

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of checking tires, a tire pressure monitoring system is another nice feature when you're adding all the bells and whistles anyway. I have one on my fifth-wheel and remove it for my four place if traveling very far. It's nice knowing immediately if one of your tires is losing air.

N

Nychaze

Sep 15, 2012
Westminster, CO
6. E-Track Mounting

picture.php

The E-Track did NOT work out as I had expected.
#1.
Was VERY hard to find SHORT e-track attachment straps.
Everything out there is set up for commercial use.
Finding 12-24 inch straps was a challenge.

#2.
The sled tracks spun on top of the e-tracks badly!.
I utterly failed to appreciate that these SMOOTH metal surfaces would greatly reduce the amount of track friction on the floor.
Add water and ice and sometimes the sleds would just sit and spin.

#3.
With the next trailer I will NOT ask Mirage to install them again.
If I was going to use it again, I would WALL mount it.

#4.
My plan for the next trailer will be to install Supertrax Superclamps instead

Nice looking trailer.

I found this on the thread you linked (post #14), they used the e-track on the sides by the ski and not down the middle. Seemed to work out for them, but you need double the length of e-track.

(no idea how to make this picture bigger...)

884902_10152634941035301_1019706026_o.jpg

B

Big_T_Roose

Aug 14, 2008
Nice looking trailer.

I found this on the thread you linked (post #14), they used the e-track on the sides by the ski and not down the middle. Seemed to work out for them, but you need double the length of e-track.

(no idea how to make this picture bigger...)

Why not have the E-Track flush mounted in the trailer? I just did this on my 24 foot enclosed and it worked out great for hauling RZRs around this summer. It is flush with the floor so the track from the snowmobile will not spin on top like it does in your situation. Also a far as dirt in the track, I had no problems this summer cleaning out with a corn cob broom. I will see how it does this winter with ice build up but I am not forseeing any probems since there where no problems with the recessed drings i used last year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Why not have the E-Track flush mounted in the trailer? I just did this on my 24 foot enclosed and it worked out great for hauling RZRs around this summer. It is flush with the floor so the track from the snowmobile will not spin on top like it does in your situation. Also a far as dirt in the track, I had no problems this summer cleaning out with a corn cob broom. I will see how it does this winter with ice build up but I am not forseeing any probems since there where no problems with the recessed drings i used last year.

PHOTOS??

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Thus time around I am going to give the Super Clamps a try

They are lights out the best product for sled tie-down, IMO.
And Randy's care for his customers is phenomenal.

I posted in about 2008 that I lost a rear SuperClamp between Ketchum, Idaho and Galena Summit.
Randy got word of it and called me. Not sure how he tracked down my number...but HE called ME. We had a great conversation.

I was pretty sure I messed up and did something wrong. I was ready to order a new clamp right then and there from him.
During the conversation we discovered that the hooks on my clamps were some sort of hard plastic (he had sensed this, and that's why he tracked me down). He cared enough to track me down and send me whole new clamp and also new metal replacement hooks for my other clamps.

I had no idea that there was an issue with the plactic hooks. I figured it was on me and I'd have to buy a new clamp.

THAT'S customer service there!!!!
I'm forever a customer now because of that phone call.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
They are lights out the best product for sled tie-down, IMO..
SuperClamp%20Logo.jpg

My experience with the "SuperGlides II Pro" was nothing short of OUTSTANDING. I absolutely LOVED those glides, and that is the reason I am going to try the SuperClamps this season.

6939_st.jpg

B

Big_T_Roose

Aug 14, 2008
So you routered out the floor and flush mounted them in it?

I cut the floor out and then put in 1/4 in plywood and then the e track. If the trailer was empty I would have mounted the e track and then put 1/2 in plywood down. I would ask about it and have it done at the factory. I think the 2nd way I described is how I think some manufacturers do it.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Superclamps are something you will wonder how you ever lived without. E track is great for other cargo but is of no use for sleds as long as the superclamps are around.

I use them front and back on my sled deck, I can't imagine going back to tie downs!

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
As posted before. I would talk to the company and see if they can have the walls spray foamed. It has been proven one inch of foam will out insulate 4 inches of fiberglass. Especially if it is closed cell. The first trailer company that spray foams will be leaps ahead of the others. I understand it will might be more up front but you would think the money you save to have the other insulation installed by cutting around everything would be a wash. As stated you never get a good seal cutting around items with sheet-ed insulation.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It seems that Mirage is looking to be a quality "progressive" builder of sled trailers... They would probably engage using the spray foam as it will improve their product.... and your Trailer, Christopher.

Not only will spray foam keep your trailer warmer (or cooler)... it will make it stronger too.

Even if Mirage does not currently have spray foam equipment... there are some certified Icynene installers in the Nampa area that I'm sure would do the service at a very reasonable fee. http://info.icynene.com/find-a-commercial-contractor-dealer

Amazing what the right materials can do for a project.
All spray foams are not equal... and most are sub-par when compared to the good ones out there. (like the MD-C-200 v3)

If you are looking for a more perfect trailer... this would make big strides in that direction for a very reasonable investment.

Looking forward to seeing the evolution of this project.

Good luck !!

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I did closed cell foam on the walls of my shop, which is a pole building. The added strength is amazing. One thing though is when the sun shines on the exterior just right, you can see that the steel is warped. I can only assume this is from the heat caused as the foam cured. I wonder how the aluminum skin of a trailer would react. I know there are some fish house manufacturers that are using spray foam. Perhaps a certain type of foam is less prone to causing warpage?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I wouldn't think a 1" wall in a trailer being allowed to air dry on one side would have the same effect as a 3.5" or 5.5" thick wall in a pole barn allowing for expansion. Watching the home improvement shows, the blow in foam would be killer for the trailer.

In Christopher's case, the sound system would be much improved with the rigidity of the structure too.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It seems that Mirage is looking to be a quality "progressive" builder of sled trailers... They would probably engage using the spray foam as it will improve their product.... and your Trailer, Christopher.

Not only will spray foam keep your trailer warmer (or cooler)... it will make it stronger too.

Even if Mirage does not currently have spray foam equipment... there are some certified Icynene installers in the Nampa area that I'm sure would do the service at a very reasonable fee. http://info.icynene.com/find-a-commercial-contractor-dealer

I will fire off a note to Mirage and ask if this is something that could be undertaken with their current manufacturing structure.

Premium Features