• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive Gearing Options

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Is anyone going to build an adjustable tensioner for the quick drive so that we could use the 19 and 44 gears off of the 13 to 15 pro's? That would give us additional options of 2.32 21/43 and 2.38 21/44, and if a one cog larger belt was available than a 2.27 ratio 22/44 would be available! This would be a lot less expensive option and you could get belts from your local polaris dealer! That 2.32 gear ratio sure would be nice 21/43!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I doubt that you are going to find longer belts in the 11mm pitch that are worth a darn... but who knows?

2013-15's had 21/44 gearig, the axys 22/43

The reverse question would be interesting on a ProRide PRO-QuickDrive™... is there enough length in the new longer drive belt to allow a tensioner to be used that would give more "wrap" to the belt on the top sprocket for more tooth engagement and less slippage... maybe an aftermarket 11mm spaced, 20 tooth, top gear and a tensioner to give a more economical system that would yield a 2.2:1 ratio (or 2.4:1 with 7 tooth, 3"-pitch drivers...or 2.5:1 with 7t-3p drivers)... Hmm.

Stock AXYS belt on ProRide Quick drive, tensioner, 20 tooth custom top, stock 44 tooth bottom... Would that work and have enough dogleg in the belt to get the improved tooth wrap?

Last edited:

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I doubt that you are going to find longer belts in the 11mm pitch that are worth a darn... but who knows?

The reverse question would be interesting on a ProRide PRO-QuickDrive™... is there enough length in the new longer drive belt to allow a tensioner to be used that would give more "wrap" to the belt on the top sprocket for more tooth engagement and less slippage... maybe an aftermarket 11mm spaced, 20 tooth, top gear and a tensioner to give a more economical system that would yield a 2.2:1 ratio (or 2.4:1 with 7 tooth, 3"-pitch drivers...or 2.5:1 with 7t-3p drivers)... Hmm.

Stock AXYS belt on ProRide Quick drive, tensioner, 20 tooth custom top, stock 44 tooth bottom... Would that work and have enough dogleg in the belt to get the improved tooth wrap?

Do you think that it would slip with a 21/43 or 21/44 with a belt adjuster, obviously my 14 was 21/44 and it never slipped and has no belt adjuster! I see that fire and ice has a nice looking belt adjuster for reasonal money! Also since it has a 7 tooth driver it wouldn't load the belt as hard. I do most of my riding around 10,000 ft. so lower gearing sure would help.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
One issue I have spoke to Tom @ TKI is that in cases the stock QD drive belt in stock form can balloon out-and he has a belt adjuster that fits the stock configuration.- really it hold the belt from leaving the top gear

Updating to his gears and the TKI belt with the dog leg-with more area coverage in the top gear the same belt adjuster works .

Working on a "correct" gear ratio and dropping in the 8 tooth drivers to get the correct rolling resistance and getting the Axys where it should have been. 7 tooth drivers is not going to cut it no matter how much you change gearing. Approach angle is way steep!

For us that ride 9,000 and up, a clutching change should be considered to 62's ( Min) from the stock 64's that are good to only 8,000'

S/C

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Do you think that it would slip with a 21/43 or 21/44 with a belt adjuster, obviously my 14 was 21/44 and it never slipped and has no belt adjuster! I see that fire and ice has a nice looking belt adjuster for reasonal money! Also since it has a 7 tooth driver it wouldn't load the belt as hard. I do most of my riding around 10,000 ft. so lower gearing sure would help.

FYI, the Belt Deflector from Fire n Ice IS NOT a tensioner!! It's purpose is to keep the belt from ballooning out and climbing out of the sprocket teeth.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
One issue I have spoke to Tom @ TKI is that in cases the stock QD drive belt in stock form can balloon out-and he has a belt adjuster that fits the stock configuration.- really it hold the belt from leaving the top gear

Updating to his gears and the TKI belt with the dog leg-with more area coverage in the top gear the same belt adjuster works .

Working on a "correct" gear ratio and dropping in the 8 tooth drivers to get the correct rolling resistance and getting the Axys where it should have been. 7 tooth drivers is not going to cut it no matter how much you change gearing. Approach angle is way steep!

For us that ride 9,000 and up, a clutching change should be considered to 62's ( Min) from the stock 64's that are good to only 8,000'

S/C

You will have to keep us posted and let us know how much it does change the approach angle, that will drop that approach angle down just about half an inch which will be a nice improvement! Just going to suck to loose that tunnel clearance and expose the drivers to foreign objects, but does it really matter that much?

As far as clutching goes, I'll probably be going back and forth from 60's to 62's depending on altitude, temp and gearing. I'll probably just end up going with the tki belt drive so that I have more options for the future :) Its going to be fun to play with this axys!

I'm also considering going to a three inch track with 7 tooth three pitch drivers and trimming the outer lugs to 2.8 to make the track a little more versatile and give more clearance at the front of the cooler and bulkhead! So many options!

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
FYI, the Belt Deflector from Fire n Ice IS NOT a tensioner!! It's purpose is to keep the belt from ballooning out and climbing out of the sprocket teeth.

I kind of figured that but it was just a thought :)

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho

I like where your heads at, also might make it so you can change/install a belt without removing the pullys

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Look at 13-15 Pro's and see how much of the driver is exposed vs the 7's on the Axys- splitting hairs IMHO...

I was referring to if you put a 8 tooth 2.86 pitch driver in place of a 7 tooth on the axys chassis.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Is anyone going to build an adjustable tensioner for the quick drive so that we could use the 19 and 44 gears off of the 13 to 15 pro's? That would give us additional options of 2.32 21/43 and 2.38 21/44, and if a one cog larger belt was available than a 2.27 ratio 22/44 would be available! This would be a lot less expensive option and you could get belts from your local polaris dealer! That 2.32 gear ratio sure would be nice 21/43!

Literally every belt drive manufacturer in their design guides say to not backbend their belts. This includes the belts that TKI uses and proceeds to backbend anyway. It also really includes the quickdrive belt which will break if you backbend it's carbon cords

Not to mention it's not any cheaper. Kurts gear down is $595, Polaris would be $525. And then stock belts are $215, where kurts are $120

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here ya go

What's the c-c from axys quickdrive versus proride quickdrive, has anyone measured this?

From a previous thread.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3834606

I've received many PM's about this topic... so I thought I'd check with my sources at Polaris.

The Chaindrive AXYS-Mountain sleds ALL have the same tunnel-to-lugtip clearance with a given track. Even with the front cooler.. the SKS does not have any less clearance than the PRO or Assault... The cooler does NOT protrude more into the tunnel.

On the SKS / Assault / PRO-RMK With the chaincase.

Gearing on the SKS / Assault with the 2.25, 2.4 & 2.6"-lug tracks.
Top gear = 20 tooth
Bottom Gear = 40 Tooth
Gear ratio 2.00:1
Chain pitch = 72
Track Pitch= 2.86"
Driver Size = 7 tooth
Center-To-Center distance, Jackshaft/Driveshaft = 197.2 mm (same C2C on QD sleds too)

For comparison to a PRO-Ride RMK with 8-tooth drivers would give a Final drive ratio of Approximately 2.23:1 (under-drive factor is .88 for a 7-tooth, 2.86"-pitch driver)

On the 3"-lug track equipped AXYS which all feature the chaincase.
Top gear = 19 tooth
Bottom Gear = 44 Tooth
Gear ratio 2.31:1
Chain pitch = 74
Track Pitch= 3.0"
Driver Size = 7 tooth
Center-To-Center distance, Jackshaft/Driveshaft = 197.2 mm (same C2C on QD sleds too)

For comparison to a PRO-Ride RMK with 8-tooth drivers would give a Final drive ratio of Approximately 2.52:1 (under-drive factor is .92 for a 7-tooth, 3"-pitch driver)

Note... The C2C length of the Jack/Drive-shafts has increased by only 6mm (just a hair under 1/4")

The 2011-2015 PRO RIDE's had 191.2mm C2C.
I would imagine that this was to accommodate the new QuidDrive (aka "belt-drive") NEW sprocket sizes.

Last edited:

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
So are the axys steal and aluminum drive shafts the same as previous pro years other than the driver size and pitch? Everybody just assumes but it hasn't been confirmed.

TKILLC

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2011
Billings Montana
Just to clarify, the belts we use that we back tension are made to be back tensioned. That is why I designed it that way, with advice from Gates Corporation. If there is any doubt I can give direct contact info to the gates engineers who showed and told me how its done. This is why we also use only gates belts. If any one has questions feel free to contact me with questions.

Tom Kobza
406-850-8091

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Just to clarify, the belts we use that we back tension are made to be back tensioned. That is why I designed it that way, with advice from Gates Corporation. If there is any doubt I can give direct contact info to the gates engineers who showed and told me how its done. This is why we also use only gates belts. If any one has questions feel free to contact me with questions.

Tom Kobza
406-850-8091

This is nice to know and now i will be buying your belt drive system! Thanks for the update!

S
Nov 29, 2007
Any updates to this?
Is is possible to use 2016 belt with 2015 gearing? Does Kurt's polaris have a gear down kit for axys pro available yet?

Damn, I need snow!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
...... This would be a lot less expensive option and you could get belts from your local polaris dealer!

I don't know if the words "a lot less expensive" and "local Polaris dealer" should ever be in the same sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
Any updates to this?
Is is possible to use 2016 belt with 2015 gearing? Does Kurt's polaris have a gear down kit for axys pro available yet?

Damn, I need snow!
Yes Kurts has new gear downs and "gear the same" kits ready to go. Saw them at the Salt Lake Show, look like a solid product

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah

Tom Kobza
406-850-8091
Is that conveyed only by word of mouth or is it written in any of their design guides for their belts. I haven't seen it, but it would sure be useful information

Premium Features