• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best year of the pro?

M

miralas

Nov 27, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I'm thinking about upgrading my dragon next fall so I'm trying to do some homework. Being in college I'm just looking for a more reliable sled that get me through school. I don't need something I can turbo or mod, just a good running machine. Shopping in the used market, if you had to pick a year the pro had the least amount of bugs what year would you guys suggest?

Thanks for your help guys.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I don't think any year was really bad. But MH is right, the more recent one you get the more fixes to previous years. If I bought anything older than a '13 I'd probably do a drop in kit to replace the pistons. All depends on whats left with warranty.

I had an '11 and have a '13 and never had issues other than losing a QDS belt on the '13.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
In college and on a budget? I'd vote for '12 IMO. Had some of the '11 issues worked out, still has a chaincase, can pick one up if you are careful for under 7 grand. Not going to touch a '14 for less than 9,500 probably and good luck even finding a 600 for sale.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
2014 would be the year with the least bugs in the 800.

If you are not a heavy rider (not over 200lbs) I'd say get a 2013 600 155 RMK... you get the great running boards and a super dependable engine.

Good luck.

Super dependable? Just put in my 3rd set of pistons at 735 miles in my son's 2012 Pro 600. My wife is on her 2nd in hers. No issues with my '14 800 Pro.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It's unfortunate that you have the same strange situation in 2 separate sleds ... I'd look for a common denominator with those...as it certainly is not the norm with the 600's... in rental fleets or with the general consumer.

6 pistons in the same sled at 735 miles is really bad for any sled.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Find a 13 rmk or assault. That way you get the better boards and improved engine without the hassle of the 13 QD.

The assault with a set of narrowed up a arms is the way to go. I like my 14 assault much better than my 13 pro because of the improved shocks. But an assault may be harder to find and spendier than an RMK

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I would buy any year 2011 up with lower miles. 1800ish or so. If it is out of warrenty I would put a fix kit in or RK TEC replacement pistons in. 2013 up have better stock running boards and belt drive on pros. Seem to be alittle more responsive and handling is better in my experience.

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
I say the 2012 Pro it has the chaincase ,steel drive shaft,aluminum over structure,welded a arms.Mine ran flawless for 1550 miles when I traded it in on my dissapointing 2014. 575 miles on the 14 has been in for warranty work 3 times now and am getting ready too dump the POS.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Super dependable? Just put in my 3rd set of pistons at 735 miles in my son's 2012 Pro 600. My wife is on her 2nd in hers. No issues with my '14 800 Pro.

I have 4 2014, rmk 600's with close to 3000 miles each with 0 issues. I have 2 2014 pro 800's with about 1800 miles each with 0 issues. I had similar miles on the same sleds last year (2013's) with 0 issues. I have also had 2 separate 800 pros with 0 issues.

All the more reason that really, really sucks you are dealing with that issue.

O
Dec 6, 2007
It looks to me like the only difference between 13's and '14s is the updated QD belt. By now, lots of '13s are on the '14 belt. The '13s are the first year that get the reinforced skirt in the cylinder.

There are some things to look for on the 13s. You need to check the bearing for the driveshaft behind the secondary clutch. Some did not press fit very well and the shaft can spin in the race damaging the driveshaft and bearing. You should look at the QD mounting plate to make sure it was glued properly and is tight up against the tunnel. You should look at the glued ends on the lower a-arms in front. Some were not glued very well. Mine have visible glue pretty much all the way around and have been holding up to my abuse wonderfully.

The engine, regardless of year, would get a compression tests and a look through the exhaust ports to check ring condition. These are notorious piston and ring wreckers. Fortunately if you catch it before it fails the repair is not too expensive.

I just don't know that reliable and snowmobile go together very well in general so... good luck with that.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
It's unfortunate that you have the same strange situation in 2 separate sleds ... I'd look for a common denominator with those...as it certainly is not the norm with the 600's... in rental fleets or with the general consumer.

6 pistons in the same sled at 735 miles is really bad for any sled.

Well, I'm not sure I consider it strange. Unfortunate, yes. But I think my point is don't expect that you can just grab a 600 and go and you are going to have a super dependable sled. Each burn down was different - a folded over crankcase seal, an air bubble in the oil pump, and the one that really gets me - a cold seize. I spend more time warming my sleds properly than anybody I see in the parking lot but somehow I get a cold seize? How the heck is that possible? I ride from time to time with the mechanics from our dealer and they were amazed that I ended up with a cold seize because they know how well I take care of my stuff.

Any motor can fail - even the 600's.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Don't be afraid of the QDS. I think if you get a '14 belt on the '13 Pro you will be OK. This coming from a guy with a '13 who left and did the TKI drive. But I have a turbo and didn't have a new '14 QDS belt. The problem is those belts are $199. So for nearly $400 I was already close to buying the TKI drive. It was a no brainer for me.

J

jonasumb

Nov 27, 2012
Boise/McCall Idaho
Good luck with your Hunt. Still plenty of great riding here in the NW, my 13 Poo has been great, nd dog is right don't be afraid of the QDS, almost every doo owners first mod is to install one

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

M

miralas

Nov 27, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Being a Dragon owner I already plan on putting a fix kit and a tuner on the motor just because I know how Polaris's are. 600's are out of the question. I had such good luck with my 800 (knock on everything around me) that I would like a similar power band with the better handling and the much stronger chassis. One of my biggest fears is electrical issues, but nothing is worse than burning down a motor. quick drive doesn't scare me too bad, but I've never had a problem with a chain case and I haven't heard too many good things about the Polaris belt drive. Thanks for all the responses. It's nice to hear everyone's input.

Premium Features