• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

INDY SPECIALTY LRTM3!!!!!!!!!!

bigchevrolet

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
northern mn
After a few different setups and stages from slp I have gone back to a stock ported cylinder from Indydan. I sold all my slp stuff and just got the sled out for the first rip this morning. Setup follows.

2012 800 switchback assault
Fresh Lon Rod Torque Master3 w/HG7 cylinder finish and matching pistons
vforce3r reeds/no controller on it yet.
balanced primary and team tied. otherwise stock clutching components.

I followed the break in instructions for heat cycling and took it out for a ride this morning. I was just cruising taking it easy around the lake and then i stabbed it a couple times. I was more worried about engine temp then rpm so i had that screen up. I noticed it reved fast and I thought something was not right as I was getting a bog. It was reving really fast when hitting the throttle Flipped to the rpm mode and noticed with 10-66 weights it was instantly reving to8450-8500!!! Yes a little over rev but very excited that it is doing this with only about 25 miles on the top end! I have a feeling this engine is going to be a beast!! I will be putting in heavier weights and reporting back I'm guessing I should be in the 70-72 gram range to get it dialed in and running. I was putting it back to stock to sll the machine but this has made me want to keep it longer now

Last edited:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Very happy with my Indy long rod. Just put a "Neils power pipes" pipe on it but haven't had a good ride yet. If the supplied PCV map indicates anything it will feel great on the top end!

bigchevrolet

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
northern mn
I've had the longrod for a couple years now but never ran it in a stock configuration. The whole reason to go back to stock was to sell it and get an axys but now I don't know what to do. I love how it rides/handles and now it clearly is running better 100% bone stock Polaris so it may stay close to the top end warranty disappearing... hopefully next weekend my brother in law and I can mess around he has a 2017 assault. Being at 1400 feet and no mountains within 1000 miles I try to still keep a little speed involved along with off trail capability. Lots of extra fuel needed for Neil's pipe?

bigchevrolet

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
northern mn
I had a set of mtx weights coming in at 73.4g a piece. I put these in and went for az 70 mile ride this morning. Machine pulls hard but still a little high on rpm. 8250 in deep snow and 83-8350 on hard pack. Going to set another set of mtx's up to about 75g heavy on the tip and see what happens. According to dtr and the accuracy of my tach the overrev is costing me just under 5hp.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I've had the longrod for a couple years now but never ran it in a stock configuration. The whole reason to go back to stock was to sell it and get an axys but now I don't know what to do. I love how it rides/handles and now it clearly is running better 100% bone stock Polaris so it may stay close to the top end warranty disappearing... hopefully next weekend my brother in law and I can mess around he has a 2017 assault. Being at 1400 feet and no mountains within 1000 miles I try to still keep a little speed involved along with off trail capability. Lots of extra fuel needed for Neil's pipe?

+15 in the upper areas on the pcv map.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Just a little FYI, when using MTX weights you install 4 grams heavier than 10 or 11 series weights. 10-68 would equal a 72 gram MTX weight, and so on. Just for comparison speaking, your still pulling more weight than stock.

Last edited:

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
I went with the LR in the Light weight version with the stock Polaris pistons and the HG7 cylinder. The previous set up was stock and had lightning weights and was set to run about 8250 max. With 200 miles on the new motor i am seeing constantly higher RPM 8350 to 8400. thought about adding some weight to get back to 8250 but decided to leave it. This motor pulls hard and keeps pulling. Been riding with some 800 etecs and i can go past them on the hills with ease. Very happy with it so far. The only thing I am on the fence about is the extra cost for the light weight version. It seem to have a lot more vibrations. Any one else running the light weight crank?

bigchevrolet

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
northern mn
Just a little FYI, when using MTX weights you install 4 grams heavier than 10 or 11 series weights. 10-68 would equal a 72 gram MTX weight, and so on. Just for comparison speaking, your still pulling more weight than stock.

Yes I am aware of the 4g deficit with the mtx weights. Right now I have a set of 74's loaded to 75.2 and it seems to run real well. 8150-8300 depending on what I'm running in hard pack vs deep powder...

Premium Features