• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Front End Upgrade on a Budget

M
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup, Wa.
This thread is for those 05-08 IQ RMK owners who like the looks and increased durability of the 09 front end on the IQ chassis but are not able to justify the $450 to $500 cost of the upgrade kit. I've done three of these upgrades and have never spent more than $240 per upgrade. It is possible to do this upgrade for as little as $100 depending on how much you sell your old parts for. Buying used parts whenever possible saves alot. Remaining parts can be purchased from on-line dealers, some have free shipping.

This upgrade requires modest mechanical skills, involves cutting the old fender to match the new nose pan and fabrication of two small plastic filler pieces. This job should take about three to four hours to complete.

2009 Parts Needed:
Bumper
Bumper Hinge Bracket (often included on used bumpers)
L&R Weld Mount Swaybar brackets
Lower A-arm Brace (2009)
Nosepan
Nosepan closeoff (different than 2007/8)
Hood Hinge Grill (fits in hood)
Hood hinge screws (different than 2007/8)
Optional: Hood Grill screens (I chose to trim my old ones)

24- 3/16" Aluminum Rivets (1/4" grip)
4 - 3/16" Steel Rivets (1/4" grip)
4 - 5/16" x 18 Nylock Nuts
2 - 5/16" x 18 Bolts 3/4"
1 - Tube Black Silicone Sealer (Permatex)
1 - Roll of metal foil tape (Home Depot)

These directions are from memory from two conversions I did over the summer, some steps could be slightly out of sequence.

Disassembly:
1)Disconnect hood wiring harness, lanyards, remove two hood screws, remove and set hood aside.
2)Remove pipe, set aside, you may leave exhust can on sled.
3)Remove pipe heat shield, needed later.
4)Remove air dam (large aluminum plate).
5)Remove nose pan screen and skid plate (if installed).
6)Remove front bumper.
7)Remove plastic rivets attaching nosepan to fenders.
8)Drill out nosepan rivets on underside of sled.
9)Drill out fender rivets.
10)With a box cutter knife with NEW BLADE, carefully cut the fender at the highest point of the shock tower opening, cutting inboard. Leave as much vertical material as possible while cutting inboard. (You can always trim more later if needed but you can't add more later).
11)Hood: Carefully remove the Polaris emblem to reveal two bolts. Remove these and the six torx bolts attaching the hinge grill to hood.

Assembly:
1)Trim old hinge grill screens to fit into new hinge grill and install (or install new ones if purchased).
2)Attach hinge grill to hood
3)Remove front upper A-arm bolts, install weld mount brackets, reinstall bolts. Drill out rivets and use steel rivets to attach new bracket.
4)Drill out two rivets on lower front a-arm brace, remove.
5)Install new a-arm brace, rivet with two steel rivets.
6)Attach new bumper with bolts/nuts listed above.
7)Attach new nosepan, rivet in place (except for heat shield rivets, done later).
8)Rivet nosepan to bumper in two places on underside of bumper.
9)Install new nosepan closeoff piece (10" x 6" plastic).
10)Dry fit exhaust pipe (without springs).
11)Cut notch in heat shield to allow hood lanyard to pass through, look at an 09 heat shield for reference.
12)Rivet pipe heat shield to bumper and bulkhead.
13)Reinstall exhaust pipe
14)Reinstall hood, lanyards, wiring harness.
15)Fabricate two small plastic 90* filler strips (approx. 1" x 5") to fill gap in old fender and rivet in place.
16)Tip sled on side and seal any gaps with black silicone sealer.

I will try and get pictures up as soon as possible if I can get someone to post them.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
This thread is for those 05-08 IQ RMK owners who like the looks and increased durability of the 09 front end on the IQ chassis but are not able to justify the $450 to $500 cost of the upgrade kit. I've done three of these upgrades and have never spent more than $240 per upgrade. It is possible to do this upgrade for as little as $100 depending on how much you sell your old parts for. Buying used parts whenever possible saves alot. Remaining parts can be purchased from on-line dealers, some have free shipping.

This upgrade requires modest mechanical skills, involves cutting the old fender to match the new nose pan and fabrication of two small plastic filler pieces. This job should take about three to four hours to complete.

2009 Parts Needed:
Bumper
Bumper Hinge Bracket (often included on used bumpers)
L&R Weld Mount Swaybar brackets
Lower A-arm Brace (2009)
Nosepan
Nosepan closeoff (different than 2007/8)
Hood Hinge Grill (fits in hood)
Hood hinge screws (different than 2007/8)
Optional: Hood Grill screens (I chose to trim my old ones)

24- 3/16" Aluminum Rivets (1/4" grip)
4 - 3/16" Steel Rivets (1/4" grip)
4 - 5/16" x 18 Nylock Nuts
2 - 5/16" x 18 Bolts 3/4"
1 - Tube Black Silicone Sealer (Permatex)
1 - Roll of metal foil tape (Home Depot)

These directions are from memory from two conversions I did over the summer, some steps could be slightly out of sequence.

Disassembly:
1)Disconnect hood wiring harness, lanyards, remove two hood screws, remove and set hood aside.
2)Remove pipe, set aside, you may leave exhust can on sled.
3)Remove pipe heat shield, needed later.
4)Remove air dam (large aluminum plate).
5)Remove nose pan screen and skid plate (if installed).
6)Remove front bumper.
7)Remove plastic rivets attaching nosepan to fenders.
8)Drill out nosepan rivets on underside of sled.
9)Drill out fender rivets.
10)With a box cutter knife with NEW BLADE, carefully cut the fender at the highest point of the shock tower opening, cutting inboard. Leave as much vertical material as possible while cutting inboard. (You can always trim more later if needed but you can't add more later).
11)Hood: Carefully remove the Polaris emblem to reveal two bolts. Remove these and the six torx bolts attaching the hinge grill to hood.

Assembly:
1)Trim old hinge grill screens to fit into new hinge grill and install (or install new ones if purchased).
2)Attach hinge grill to hood
3)Remove front upper A-arm bolts, install weld mount brackets, reinstall bolts. Drill out rivets and use steel rivets to attach new bracket.
4)Drill out two rivets on lower front a-arm brace, remove.
5)Install new a-arm brace, rivet with two steel rivets.
6)Attach new bumper with bolts/nuts listed above.
7)Attach new nosepan, rivet in place (except for heat shield rivets, done later).
8)Rivet nosepan to bumper in two places on underside of bumper.
9)Install new nosepan closeoff piece (10" x 6" plastic).
10)Dry fit exhaust pipe (without springs).
11)Cut notch in heat shield to allow hood lanyard to pass through, look at an 09 heat shield for reference.
12)Rivet pipe heat shield to bumper and bulkhead.
13)Reinstall exhaust pipe
14)Reinstall hood, lanyards, wiring harness.
15)Fabricate two small plastic 90* filler strips (approx. 1" x 5") to fill gap in old fender and rivet in place.
16)Tip sled on side and seal any gaps with black silicone sealer.

I will try and get pictures up as soon as possible if I can get someone to post them.

Should make this a "sticky" under increasing your IQ ! Thanks Mountain Sledder.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Amazing how well mtnsledder's work turned out...looks as good as factory to me. Thanks again for emailing the pics too!

C

crankshaft

Dec 1, 2008
Would love to see some under hood pics. Especially of any parts that you modified.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup, Wa.
The best part of this budget upgrade is using all OEM Polaris parts and the only modification is cutting into the old fender.

If you decide you don't want to fabricate the small filler strips for the old fenders you can always pick up the 09 fenders and rivet them right on.

I can take close up pics inside and out if someone is willing to post them.

Premium Features