• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11 Pro..runs good til higher rpm then kinda cuts out..drops rpm

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
I've got an 11 Pro that I got this summer at Haydays -stock, 1100 miles- and only ran it around the field up there and in the shop once or twice here at home but not enough evidently to catch what it's doing now.. .it's a definitive hard drop in performance/rpm .. it'll rev clean and hard and get to 7-7500 or so and then just cuts out and won't rev clean any more. .kinda hard to describe. . I read thru numerous "bog" threads but it doesn't seem like those descriptions are what is happening here . .we just got enough snow to finally get out and ride so this is my first go around with the sled and it's kinda frustrating. . . doesn't seem to matter if I get into it slow and build up, or just pin it.. it does it either way ...and under load riding, and also on the stand. .same there too . . I don't think the fuel filter has been changed yet and that is one thing I'm looking at. .but not sure that would cause this distinct hardline break in performance. . . .thoughts?? .. .

Johnny

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
this is going to seem odd, but you need to clear the memory recall, and go out and run ir..the pro is very succeptable to over rev and hitting the limiter, even in the mid range..do you know what the clutching in it is? what weights/springs/helix? if all stock try 2 grams more.. if the machine seems super snappy responsive my first guess would be underclutched/over rev...

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
If you bought a mtn sled at Hay Days odds are good it is clutched for riding out weat and not there in Mn. You should be running 10-68 or 70's there in Mn. If you are light on the weights, it will be very snappy and run great til you hit the rev limiter. The display is not quick enough in responding and you often think you are not not near the rev limiter. Like AKSNOWRIDER said, you can sometimes catch it using the recall function but even then not always. Look and see what you are running for weights. Betting you have 10-58 in there. If so, that's your issue.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Check your plug wires and caps, too, at least visually. New fuel filter if you don't know how old. They do get plugged up.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Fuel filter, clutch spring, exhaust valves, plugs would be where I look.

I've had plugs clear up high-end 'cut-outs' myself. Quite possibly related to oil-fouling (my oiler is turned up).

One thing to add; dielectric grease all the connectors you can see/access. Unplug connector, apply some grease, re-connect.

I've replaced my fuel filter, and it wasn't a direct cure, but one of those "it doesn't hurt to do it" sort of maintenance things.

I've had a broken clutch spring as well, and it simply caused a 'lazy' clutching feel, or low max RPMs, but didn't cause 'cut-outs' like the plugs or electrical gremlins seem to.
That is, if you are able to differentiate between clutching and engine issues.

However, the under-weighted clutch issue can, as others mentioned, bounce off the limiter and create a very similar 'cut-out' feeling too...so it can be a bit confusing.

B

Bossman

Sep 14, 2008
11 Pro

this is going to seem odd, but you need to clear the memory recall, and go out and run ir..the pro is very succeptable to over rev and hitting the limiter, even in the mid range..do you know what the clutching in it is? what weights/springs/helix? if all stock try 2 grams more.. if the machine seems super snappy responsive my first guess would be underclutched/over rev...

Like he says!

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Hey guys thanks for all the responses... I'm just now able to get out here to the shop and start messing around with this thing ...one question I've got it is how do you reset the memory recall? I can't get the online manual to load on my phone and I need a hand with that ...changed plugs and cleand power valves so far....did find one of the spark plug wires have been taped up and its got kind of a split in the casing.. looking into that too

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Couple things to note. .one thing is when this is happening it's a light switch thing . .on/off. .. .instantaneous. . going across the field last nite and I'd start to accelerate and then pin it ...it'll take off like heck then cut back .. when I'd hold it down to see if it'd continue to build rpm it'll stay right at 6600 all the way across the field. .won't pull any more . ..then I chop the throttle and pin it again and it'll pull clean to the top. One other thing .. gauge is showing it's hitting 8500 rpm at the top end ..should this thing be pulling that high- this is in Iowa, not minneysoda. .probably the same elevation tho- ??
Changed plugs..nothing out of ordinary looking with them, cleaned powervalves . .light carbon on'em..nothing bad there either, and bellows were fine. .took a couple pics with my inspection camera while apart..posted below. .
Another .. it's not always doing it . ..seems about half the time I can pin it and it's fine .. other half ..not so much . . somewhere in there. . doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it ..
I'll dig a little more after resetting the max rpms, and gotta get me one of the polaris pullers to get the clutch off- side note - does anyone know if Puller from my IQr would work on the RMK? . .and can I use the water method of removing the clutch like you can on the skidonkeys by using the clutch bolt??. .
..and thanks again for the help. .

20131222_145318.jpg 20131222_145705.jpg

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
To many RPM's if you ask me. Should only run 8250. I am in MN and run 10-68's. Now I am having a little trouble with mine but mine only falls to like 77-7800. I think mine is something else compare to yours. I have changed filter and new plugs and waiting to take mine out.

I think you need to look at the wts you are running. You don't need to take clutch off to look or change those.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
No need to take the clutch off. Just the belt, and then the clutch face. Like I've said all along, you are hitting your rev limiter. Add weight. Look and see what weights are in it and let us know.

S
Nov 9, 2012
Another thing that may be causing the RPM drop is chipped reeds.
They are a lot of work to get at, so save this till last resort.
Good luck :face-icon-small-coo

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
another quick note . ..it has 10-60 weights in it right now..all I've had time to look into so far .. ..so next question with trying different weights . . can I look for any 10 66-68 weight to try or are the profiles specific to a machine/motor/riding altitude?? ..and what about an 11 weight?. .whats the difference between a 10 vs. 11 designated weight? . .thanks.. .

Johnny

ps. . yes ..fairly clutching ignorant . .but tryin' to learn . .hurts my brain sometimes. .

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
10-60 is what you would use at 8,000-10,000ft. That things is hitting the rev limiter for sure when being ridden at 1,000ft in iowa.

You need 10-68 if your going to ride it around here. Eric

another quick note . ..it has 10-60 weights in it right now..all I've had time to look into so far .. ..so next question with trying different weights . . can I look for any 10 66-68 weight to try or are the profiles specific to a machine/motor/riding altitude?? ..and what about an 11 weight?. .whats the difference between a 10 vs. 11 designated weight? . .thanks.. .

Johnny

ps. . yes ..fairly clutching ignorant . .but tryin' to learn . .hurts my brain sometimes. .

Premium Features