• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

4 stroke in a pro chassis?

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Just curious if anyone has been stuffing any different motors into the pro chassis? I've got one with a toast motor and looking at my options for a better power plant. I've been considering a fst motor, but open to suggestions if anyone has any experience or opinions on a different way to go?

I know some decent modifications will be needed, but I'd like to keep the bulkhead in-tact as much as possible, which I think rules out the apex and nytro motors.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
We've put both the FST and the new Ranger 900 motor in the Pro Chassis. I finally got some video of both so I'll be putting them up on youtube in a few weeks. We rode the FST sled with the boost turned up to 19lbs and it was the fastest thing I've ever ridden. Here is a little clip of it on the trail:

Last edited:

dttrusko

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2010
Trimountain, MI
How much more did it weigh? Was the fst motor a pretty tight squeeze?

Just under 460 dry with a lot of machining that I would never do if it were my personal sled.

The fit wasn't too bad, but needed to CNC motor mounts, intake runners, remake 02 housing, clock turbo a little differently, different routing for piping, move steering to right side, and moved a lot of little things around.. water to oil cooler, the 'new' dash uses different CAN inputs, etc. etc. etc...

The main issue we had was getting the dry sump oil system working and oil bottle exit at the bottom of the head.. went through 7 ish rod bearings/cranks, but that should be avoidable..

The sled is really fun though when cranked up (note the massive Tial Q) haha. If you want to read up on most of the things that needed to be done you can check out the link below.. It's not really up to date, but most of the stuff is there.. The main thing to ignore is the aluminum oil bottle.. don't use one of those. lol.

http://www.mtukrc.org/download/mtu/mtu_ic_design_paper_2011.pdf

The 900 Ranger/rzr engine in the pro chassis was a lot tighter fit, but went a lot smoother since it is wet sump and we didn't have reliability issues.. but it is kind of a turd and the calibration isn't perfect. (not that the fst is)

Both sleds have standalone ECU's and run 'flex fuel' E0 to E85.

We also have a worthless electric rush!

20130206_185128 (1).jpg 188207_1892108583973_5913528_n.jpg 189983_1892110464020_4672873_n.jpg 190048_1897868887977_4247188_n.jpg 195824_1907389525987_3498827_n.jpg 190062_1907390005999_8366446_n.jpg

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Wow!

Awesome writeup dude, and kudos to you for stuffing those two 4-strokes in there. Way cool projects and a professional way of going about it.

Please post up some more videos of that thing running.

RS

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
We've put both the FST and the new Ranger 900 motor in the Pro Chassis. I finally got some video of both so I'll be putting them up on youtube in a few weeks. We road the FST sled with the boost turned up to 19lbs and it was the fastest thing I've ever ridden. Here is a little clip of it on the trail:

Sick!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
and I believe Laird McDougal (I think, hopefully didn't butcher the name) already has one running for sure. Saw it somewhere here on the forums. Pretty cool lookin machine too.

If I'm not mistaken, that is a totally custom tube chassis sled. The only commonality to a Pro is the geometry, and the plastics might be the only Polaris parts....

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
We've put both the FST and the new Ranger 900 motor in the Pro Chassis. I finally got some video of both so I'll be putting them up on youtube in a few weeks. We road the FST sled with the boost turned up to 19lbs and it was the fastest thing I've ever ridden. Here is a little clip of it on the trail:

What is a "fst motor"?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The FST looks like a fun project. Good job, You did a lot of work to get that in there.
Any thoughts on turning the head around, flipping the ex. manifold and turbo over, using a REV fuel tank and updraft throttle body manifold? I'll see if I can find a picture of the motor I did in a Redline for a visual.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
The FST looks like a fun project. Good job, You did a lot of work to get that in there.
Any thoughts on turning the head around, flipping the ex. manifold and turbo over, using a REV fuel tank and updraft throttle body manifold? I'll see if I can find a picture of the motor I did in a Redline for a visual.

We used to do that, and the structural integrity of the tunnel was my senior design project that year. We flipped the head/intake/exhaust and lifted the tank, split the tunnel down the middle and rerouted the exhaust to a muffler which exhuasted by the snowflap. When we were doing to dyno testing at the competition we actually got the turbo and downpipe hot enough to warp the downpipe with the weight of the turbo and start the track on fire... oops :face-icon-small-sho

Theres some pics and more info in the links below if you're interested...

2009 CSC page
http://www.mtukrc.org/csc2009_download.htm

MTU Link
http://www.mtukrc.org/mtu2009.htm

Design paper
http://www.mtukrc.org/download/mtu/mtu_ic_design_paper_2009.pdf

Presentation
go to MTU Link and click on 0ral Presentation

Last edited:

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Great write ups TD!
haha thanks, but I didnt write those up, we had a whole team of people working on different parts of it and the team spends 2 semesters putting these projects together from the sled to gathering data to papers and presentations and all that... I'm sure I have a copy of my senior design paper about the tunnel mods somewhere but I have no idea where it is...

Theres a big team effort and alot of manhours that go into these CSC sled projects.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Your team did a nice job with the design paper. I forgot you had to make it quiet, hence the rear exhaust. I am going to get off topic here, were there any thoughts of a single 90mm throttle body?

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Your team did a nice job with the design paper. I forgot you had to make it quiet, hence the rear exhaust. I am going to get off topic here, were there any thoughts of a single 90mm throttle body?

yea making something quiet and fuel efficient isn't as fun as building a full blown mod purely for performance but its a good learning experience for sure. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head if the engine team ever considered a single 90mm throttle body, but maybe tdbaugha could answer that since schools a bit fresher in his mind :cool:

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
A larger throttle body makes it more difficult to modulate the airflow - small change in throttle plate angle = large increase in airflow. Not so much an issue on a large, heavy vehicle like a car that doesn't take off like a scalded cat when the throttle is opened. On a small, relatively highly powered vehicle, it may be tough to keep a steady RPM. As far as the idea as a whole, there are lots of flatlanders "wishing" the FST motor would find its way into a Pro chassis. Though heavy, my FST probably has 25HP on my 800 Pro after some ECM tweaking. The motor would be an absolute riot in a Pro chassis.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
A larger throttle body makes it more difficult to modulate the airflow - small change in throttle plate angle = large increase in airflow. Not so much an issue on a large, heavy vehicle like a car that doesn't take off like a scalded cat when the throttle is opened. On a small, relatively highly powered vehicle, it may be tough to keep a steady RPM. As far as the idea as a whole, there are lots of flatlanders "wishing" the FST motor would find its way into a Pro chassis. Though heavy, my FST probably has 25HP on my 800 Pro after some ECM tweaking. The motor would be an absolute riot in a Pro chassis.

The packaging looked to be the critical part. A single throttle body may simplify the install. A few production Weber turbos ran a small single. Maybe a 70 mm would do the job.
The ECU and turbo upgrade for the FST, from Canada, is well worth the investment.

Premium Features