• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 low speed belt chatter

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I've got 2 rides on my 2016 cat M800 Ltd.
Less than 100 miles.
The clutch noise is steadily getting worse.
It's ridiculous that a sled that is $16,000 Canadian has these issues and there nothing done about it yet.
I wish cat or team would fix this issue.

I hear ya! I have 400 miles on mine and can't get past this noise! I want my money back or a clutch that doesn't sound like sht!

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Just out of curiosity, does any one believe that the noise is coming from the primary??

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
MDS Clutching

Got a afternoon today to look at the noise maker secondary little drilling and taping have a crude fix installed will be thrashing on it this mid-week for two-three days. If it works will report and start on the fix kit.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
My belt deflection is set slightly tighter than normal, I get a brief squeal from time to time but have not yet heard this painful noise everyone is describing. I guess I should pull apart the clutch and see if I have any wear or evidence of this happening.

For what its worth, the R&D guys at Cat set the belt deflection and I haven't touched it since then. I like the engagement and the brief squeal I get from time to time doesn't bother me at all. I can understand where people are frustrated with the noise, but this seems like it will be a fairly easy fix.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The worst thing I could see happening is that the deflection adjuster wears through the steel. May cause damage but would still be ride able until you get a new clutch under warranty. I'm better before that ever happens they will have a solution or we can just put a new metal plate on and not worry.

Like I said I know a way to fix it but no time or resources. So I'm sure someone can figure it out, or if anyone wants my idea I could prob draft it up.

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
Update From MDS

Two rides on the fix sure is nice not hearing the grinding in the trees or coming down hills. Now the durability testing.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Picked up my new 16 limited yesterday. Sure enough, I had the same noise, my buddy with his 16 limited also. Both have less than 30 miles on them. Will mention it to my dealer when I drop it off to see why the electric fuel gauge doesn't work.

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Two rides on the fix sure is nice not hearing the grinding in the trees or coming down hills. Now the durability testing.

But Steve the people at Cat are working on a fix. For the primary, there is nothing wrong with the secondary.:face-icon-small-win

Catintree

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2009
Can someone answer the question as to why the secondary spring has a little "tang" on one end? This makes the clutch have a little torsional pressure causing the inner and outer shive to fight each other at low speed causing the outer one to rock back and forth on the adjustment bolt causing the noise. Other team clutches have a secondary spring that is smooth on both sides. But like others have said having too much fun riding when I can, don't want to waste the time to cut the "tang" of the spring and experiment.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
So it seems like in the powder today I hardly heard the noise cause there was so little time spent in the low speed range. A fix would be cool for long term purposes but hard to listen to that noise when there's powder going over the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i rounded off the deflector bolt already in anticipation of it grinding into the plate as mentioned. havent even ridden yet. i will also set deflection on the tighter side, sounds like its more noticeable when deflection is off...

i had a tss98 on my 02 rmk in the day and eventually took it off partly from noises it made. a recoil noise when you let off throttle sounds like a team secondy for sure.
a slow speed chatter could be something else in the primary that they have addressed on the 17?

Last edited:
Premium Features