• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KMOD conversion question

Jul 22, 2009
I know that the full KMOD kit is the stone cold nuts but the bottom line is I can't afford it. My question is, is the conversion kit for $895 (http://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com/arctic-cat/arctic-cat-conversion-package) worth the money? Is it a noticeable difference from stock? What is the main advantage? Stops excessive wheelies, rolls over better, better ride on trails & chewed up snow, etc.???

I am particularly interested in feedback from those that have the 11m8 sp since the valving was a bit different on those - that is what I have (no turbo). I'd like everyones feedback though - please just include the year & engine size on your sled so I can guage the improvement.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Depends on the riding style, I ran the conversion on my 09 tm8. It was huge, completely different sled and 100% control compared to before. I guess it depends on what your looking to get but for me its worth every penny no matter if its the full skid or conversion.
What is your riding style?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's funny 2005 1M, I was on their website last night looking at the same kit.
I also can't justify the cost of more than the conversion kit. I sure would like to ride on to see the difference before forking out the dough.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Kmod

I have the conversion on my 09 M8 not turbo sled. It is a better setup than stock, keeps the nose down more which helps on climbs. As for trail riding it is better better but not WOW better. I still have the origional fox floats on there that were revalved by GSR. For 895 I'm happy with it but I believe in order to get more out of the suspension one has to upgrade shocks. Even now I can still bottom out the shocks no matter what PSI I have in them. I'm hoping I can get away with just buying a rear shock and see how that works. Oh my rider weight is about 245lb. I was going to call Kevin to get some advice on the shock front.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
shock valving

it won't matter what your stock valving is, they revalve the oem shocks. to match the Kmod skid, they lengthen the front shock 1.5". then there are 3 different valving options they use based on rider weight, riding style, and Sled. I have the #3 valving which is for big guys and big turbo sleds. I'm 250lbs, I'm running about 190 psi in the rear float roughly, the cheap gauge maxes out at 175 psi. be sure to get the new quick coupler block , it has numbers 1.2.3.4
31 is 30% coupled use on trail, #2 is 50% coupled, #3 is 70% coupled, #4 is 90% coupled, I then set my coupler to #3 once I start climbing. I found out 2 weeks ago that in deep, soft snow on #4 , I had too much pressure on the front skis and was plowing the snow, also sled steered like a freight train, so #4 is for hard packed snow

Last edited:

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
My 2011 M8 LTD 153 track is totaly diffrent with the K MOD. I did the converson, stock rails but dumped the Fox junk. Go the extra and get the Raptor shocks. The ride on the trail is smoother. It quits trenching. The coupler is as discribed above. #4 is not a plower for me but the sled will not wheelie even off a bump. It was worth the coin to me.

Jul 22, 2009
Depends on the riding style, I ran the conversion on my 09 tm8. It was huge, completely different sled and 100% control compared to before. I guess it depends on what your looking to get but for me its worth every penny no matter if its the full skid or conversion.
What is your riding style?

Thanks Wyo. In response you your question....

Apprx 195 ready to ride weight
Climbing open bowls or chutes (throttle pinned) 10%
Climbing through trees (working the throttle) 20%
Side hilling and playing in trees, trying technical stuff 60%
Jumping 5%
Trails 5%

Style is aggressive.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Thanks Wyo. In response you your question....

Apprx 195 ready to ride weight
Climbing open bowls or chutes (throttle pinned) 10%
Climbing through trees (working the throttle) 20%
Side hilling and playing in trees, trying technical stuff 60%
Jumping 5%
Trails 5%

Style is aggressive.

You will love it, I would put all your gear on and stand on a scale and add in anything extra you might pack so they can get the valving as close as possible. But if you have any issues at all Kevin will take care of it as fast as he can. Just think of it like someone tide a cable to the handle bars and was always lifting the sled like the track was going upward and the skis stayed down. and even if the skis come up you don't loose control it still goes where you want. wash outs are almost non existant because you can always recover. Rather than wash and trench it will wash and lift and if you go it right you can just keep on going. Even with the coversion it still rode a ton better on the trail and I rarelly had a bottoming issue but only when full of gas with 2.5 gallons on the back. So weight setup for valving is key.

I went to the full kit and wow!

Premium Features