• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Planning on Building a Big Garage/Shop

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
It's not in the near future but I want to start planning for my ultimate garage. Someday :) It will be a ground up build. Here is my NOT TO SCALE drawing

dreamshop.jpg

Bay 1 will be used to store my truck and camper combo and trailer. It will have the ability to drive in one side and out the other. I'd also like to figure out how to put an RV dump inside.

DSC00421.jpg

Bay 2 will be used to store toys/ stuff not being worked on.

The whole place will be heated but i'd like to make the shop a somewhat separate area. Heating such a large area seems like a waste of $$$ and would like to keep the entire garage above freezing and the shop at a comfortable working temp.

Above the shop will be a loft or maybe apartment.

The front area of the shop will be a lounge area and there will be a bathroom in the shop.

Since above the shop there will the loft the shop will have lower ceilings. In between Bay 2 and the shop there will be removable wall or something to separate the 2 areas to contain the heat.

I'm originally a city boy and would like to hear your advice/comments. The house will have it's own garage for the daily driver and small yard crap.

S
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, MN
looks like a good layout. bay 1 will need to be long to hold the truck camper and trailer. probably 50ft. i would make that bay longer than the rest. go down to 30 or 40 feet on bay 1 and 2. I would totally close off the shop area from bay 1 and 2. that way you can keep those two colder and use a wood stove in the shop to keep it warm. Should save on the bill. add more windows also, helps with light and does heat the garage a bit when the suns out.
what kind of heat are you going to use? geo thermal, in floor or electric?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Drains in the floor where you are gonna thaw ice packed sleds and snow packed truck. Nothing worse than plashing around while working under a truck or on a sled.

K.Materi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
A few more walk/man doors. Nothing worse than having to walk around to get in. Floors drains are a must. Build it as big as you can afford. You will never regret it.

Check out this website. http://www.garagejournal.com/ Alot of good ideas on there.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've got a 36dx46w shop, so I know where you're coming from with this.

1. Build as big as you can afford.
2. Fewer windows and doors = Fewer places for thieves to break in
3. Go tall, 12' minimum ceiling height, 16 or 18 would be better.
4. Big doors. 10x10 at minimum, 12x16 best case
5. In floor heat (!!!) You can control the zones this way and keep bay1 cooler than bay 2 etc
6. Pit, make sure you have one in EVERY section
7. Lots of electrical (200amp panel!)
8. Lots of lighting (electronic ballast fluorescents hung from the ceiling)
9. Running water (think "wash bay" !!)
10. Thick enough pad for a big hoist (10k!)
11. Metal roof
12. Maintenance free exterior
13. Automatic openers

Just a few things to think about. If I could build mine over again (I bought the house with the shop) I would change things up and go bigger. Probably 60x80 or something stupid :)

C
Nov 26, 2007
If you are gonna have running water, may as well put in a crapper. Going through your wifes kitchen with greasy hands and and dirty shoes to take a crap can cause trouble at home.

I
Aug 11, 2008
Minnesota
I agree with what everyone has said so far. In floor heat is great since it heats the slab better than forced air. I'd wall off the shop from bay 2 with half being a fixed wall and the other half being on rollers. You'd still have wall space for cabinets in the back of the shop and the other half could open for bringing in sleds. bikes, atvs... For heat I'd consider an outdoor wood furnace. A buddy of mine in Wyoming uses one to heat his 50x70 shop and it does great.

WyoRMKowboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Laramie, WY
I put radiant heat in mine. A Reznor 30' vented outside. Depends on your fuel source though (propane is still real high). Also big doors. I have a 12x12 and a 16x9 and would still like bigger ones.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I have a 36x48 and wish that it was deeper sometimes. It would be nice to park 2 cars end to end, and still have room for benches and tool boxes.
Def. want big doors, Mine are only 10' wide and BARELY wide enough to squeeze the enclosed in. I have vaulted ceilings in mine, which is great for openess and a loft. Put outlets and air all the way around the walls, can't have too many places to plug in. Lots of lights. I have skylights and no windows in mine and just run a propane heater when needed.

C

crazyxprider

Nov 25, 2008
Innisfail, AB
Price of lumber is dropping by the week so is cement and steel. just built one 40x50x18 with a 24x16 door. shop is already not big enough

-line with tin washable when it get dirty
-in floor heat heats under the truck.. radiant doesn't
-big wood burning stove in the corner 2' diameter x 4' long..wood heat is nice
-fan leading outside for welding and humidity
-crapper,telephone,hi-speed internet,flatsceenTV,water hot&cold,and lots of lighting

----------------
08 xp 154
07 gsx-r 750
04 dodge 5.9 ......nothing is stock:D:beer;

B
Nov 26, 2007
I've been thinking about this layout for a long time and I think you may like it as well.

I put the RV parking across the back- I think this may maximize the space used vs. footprint. There is a 10' X 10' roll-up door in what would be the rear of the RV parking area so you could get the toys out and into the garage if you need to work on them.

There is a dirty room- welding, grinding, sanding, parts washing, etc - all go in there to keep the rest of the shop cleaner. Has a vent fan to outside. Would also have a deep sink in it.

There is a clean area- assembly, working on non-dirty stuff, all can go here. Lots of cabinets on the walls in this area. Lots and lots of lights also.

An office area- desk, PC, the 50 inch plasma :D

I omitted a bathroom in the layout, but its easy enough to put one in the corner of the office- just need 5' X 5' for a commode and a sink.

Floor drains in the bay that backs up to the RV parking. It would be so nice to be able to wash in the winter time. Those bays would be around 25 or so feet deep- should be deep enough to get a truck in and walk around it. The smaller bay would work to change oil in Mama's grocery getter or have your toys hanging out outside of the trailer.

The other guys are pretty spot-on about not having too many windows. Pay good money for quality security doors and use additional latches on the roll-ups. I also would like to use glass blocks instead of windows for the most part to be able to get natural light in.
attachment.php

Shop layout.jpg

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
how long is one of those huge Class A RV's. I'd like to build it to that size as it will help with resale down the line also.

Great idea changing the layout. I'll need to think of that a little more closely.

Seeing the cost of steel and wood drop makes me think i should be moving this up the priority scale.

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
I have a 30x50 shop with 2 10x12 doors, and it is already to small. But ada county wouldn't let me build any bigger without jumping through hoops.
I have a 14' eve hight that allows enough clearance for vans and pickups on my two post lift. My toy hauler gets parked next to the shop and as soon as I finish the house it will get a roof over it too. I heat it with a wood stove made out of well casing.< I let anybody use the shop as long as they bring fire wood( I haven't had to go get it myself yet)

I'd post pictures but it looks like a bomb went off in there and after seeing some of the neat freaks shops and garages in other posts, I'm just not sure snowest is ready for that.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
60 x 120 with 18 ft walls works good for me, red iron building, double insulated, floor heat a must, waste oil boiler 350,000 btu, keeps er 65 deg. runs about 2 hrs a day, composite floor beams over the office/bathroom makes a great mesinah for parts:beer;

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Here's mine I need to update the page, it is now fully dried in and roofed. Needs brick/siding and then it's done.

It is divided in thirds inside with the north bay being a workshop and the other 2/3rds for truck/trailer/etc.

The center door is 12' high, whole thing is 13.5 to the square. Overall height from floor to the peak is just over 24', max in my area is 25' by code.

It's work for me.

sled_guy

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
my last shop was a 40x62. hads 8/12 sisscor trusses with doors on the end. that way i could have 12x14 high door in the center and a 9x8 on each side. that way i could get away with 10' side walls. linned with metal, floor heat, and 6" slab for machinery running water and a ****ter. i had about $65,000 in it

Premium Features